Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 99811 times)

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #50 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:16:31 am »
I did it, I am an Ironman  8) And not a rusty one either, the weather turned out to be just perfect, if a little blowy.

The stats: 11:52:53 overall, 1:23:01 swim, 6:02:49 ride, 4:18:18 run. 283rd overall out of 1193 finishers.

The swim. Swimming is by far my weakest point. I had to learn to swim freestyle last winter. Watching a video of the mass start the day before in race briefing scared the bejesus out of me. So, on race morning I hung well back and was one of the last people to enter the water and swim to the start (about 200m). This turned out to be impeccable timing as I could pretty much keep swimming, they started as I got to the start line. I didn't really get knocked by anyone too much and at every turning point was surprised at how fast I was swimming. It must have been a thousand people in front of me all going in the same direction and creating quite a current. Especially at the turn around points it was like swimming in rapids. Highlight: the sun coming up going out on lap two and blinding us enough not to see where we were going. That really lifted the spirits. Coming out of the water over 20 mins faster than predicted. Seeing my wife and my son cheering. I was the 932nd person to exit the water.

The bike. This is my strongest point. It was pretty windy which was to my advantage, because that's the weather we've been having and what I've been training in. It was fairly cold, so I put on a jersey and a windproof gilet over my tri kit, as well as cycling shorts to make it all a little more comfy. Out on the bike and immediately started overtaking people. I made the mistake of eating a bar in transition (after having been advised not to) and suffered from bad gut on the first lap. Not to worry. No eating until it's sorted and try to flush it down with liquid. First feed station was also the first portaloo opportunity, which I took. I left my bad gut there, started feeling better and picked up the pace a bit. After that a pretty solid uneventful ride. Managed to eat fairly regulary, and went through 5 Torq bars and an estimated 9 Torq gels. Highlights: seeing friends supporting out on the course, amazing support from everybody in general really, overtaking lots of people. Bike time was 163rd, so must have overtaken a good 800 people.

The run. I had been suffering with a groin problem since the beginning of August so hadn't run more than 40 minutes about 3 times a week for over a month before the event and hadn't really been doing any distance before then since a marathon in May. Got changed with the help from a volunteer in the transition area. These people are just fantastic, they know exactly what to do and when. For example, there was a row of army guys standing by the bikes. As you come into transition, a guy shouts out your number to the row of guys, and the appropriate one steps forward and picks up your bike. All you have to do is keep on running. Anyway, out on the run and felt good. Really good. No cramps, and got my running legs immediately. I saw friends, wife and son again pretty much immediately after transition which lifted the spirits even more. Then I realised I had 26 more of them miles to go and slowed it right down. The aim was to run the whole thing. The course is 3 laps in the castle grounds and then into Sherborne town, which is designed to provide maximum support and much appreciated it was too. For the first few miles I took time checks and noticed that I was doing under 10 minute miles. After that I concentrated more on not thinking about how far I still had to go, but instead enjoy the atmosphere, talking to people I was running with and generally keeping a smile on my face. I managed to keep eating throughout the run, and to keep that smile there as well. Highlights: the atmosphere, the chatting, see a few friends from the running club I hadn't expected and again, just the amazing support from everybody. At mile 24 some lads had some music going and had the Ironman classic 'Don't stop me now' as I was passing by. Indeed, I thought and picked up the pace a bit. As I ran up the finishing chute, all I had eyes for was to pick out my wife who would hopefully be there with my 2 year old boy, so I could finish with him. It was such a great sight to see him with his arms open to me shouting daddy. We ran the last 50 yards hand in hand and that was it.

My aim was to take between 12 and 13 hours. 2 for the swim, 6 for the bike and 4 for the run, with an hour contingency. I am absolutely chuffed to bits to have been able to go under my best predicted time and with so little suffering. It was a fantastic day and I would recommend going to one of these, if not to compete, to support to soak up the atmosphere, it really is amazing. We supported a friend who did it last year, and I was so inspired by the thing that I just had to do it myself.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:17:53 am »
You are a nutter.  An Iron nutter, surely, but a nutter nonetheless.

Congrats.
Getting there...

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #52 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:29:14 am »
must have overtaken a good 800 people.

Brilliant ;D

Well done.

ChrisO

« Reply #53 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:30:55 am »
Well done Blah.

Quite a few of the people I ride with in Abu Dhabi do Iron Man events and they always seem to be doing serious training so with not much swim experience and minimal run training is extra impressive.

Frankly, as a non-runner, I'm amazed that anyone can do them at all.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #54 on: 09 September, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »
Very well done!  Got a finish-line photo of you and your lad?  That's one for the album!

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #55 on: 09 September, 2008, 05:52:13 pm »
Well done Blah!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #56 on: 09 September, 2008, 05:55:37 pm »
Truly bonkers. Well done.

I'll be happy with that as a marathon time (if I get a place next year) although without having done a 2.4mile swim and 112mile bike ride beforehand.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #57 on: 22 September, 2008, 04:27:47 pm »
Alas my peak event for the year - a half-Ironman - had to be called off at the last minute as a lightning lurgy short through me leaving me a snotty, coughing, very grumpy wreck.  :(

Still, I got some great photos. :thumbsup:

OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 22 September, 2008, 04:30:17 pm »
Oh.  Bad luck, munky. :(
Getting there...

Blah

« Reply #59 on: 23 September, 2008, 08:42:08 am »
Alas my peak event for the year - a half-Ironman - had to be called off at the last minute as a lightning lurgy short through me leaving me a snotty, coughing, very grumpy wreck.  :(

Oh no! Really sorry to hear that Andy. Every athlete's worst nightmare...

Onwards and upwards, there's always next year and the full IM  :demon:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #60 on: 23 September, 2008, 09:16:00 am »
I don't think so - I haven't really enjoyed the longer-distance training so I'm going to focus on oly and sprint events and go for some faster times instead.  But that's all for the summer - now it's offseason!

Blah

« Reply #61 on: 23 September, 2008, 12:02:33 pm »
Couldn't agree more. It's definitely off-season, and I'm not doing another IM for a while.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #62 on: 01 April, 2009, 07:29:42 pm »
RW's Intermediate Triathlon Training Schedule - Runner's World Racing

Back in the jug agane.  I'm jumping into this at week 6 for my Tewkesbury season-opener in mid-May.  I like having boxes to obey (I'm just a big sub!). 

« Reply #63 on: 01 April, 2009, 07:40:07 pm »
RW's Intermediate Triathlon Training Schedule - Runner's World Racing

Thu     SWIM: Continuous swimming as far as you can before breathing becomes erratic.

So for me that would mean "swim 5 yards" - not much training I'd have thought. 

Blah

« Reply #64 on: 01 April, 2009, 09:57:27 pm »
This year's goals:

PB for half marathon: Bath half 1:26:10, check
PB for middle distance tri: Bala middle of June
Do a 10, 25 and 50 mile TT (easy PB's, haven't done these distances before :-)

Good luck with training Andy! I've just switched from run training for Bath Half to riding my bike and I'm LOVING it.

Dave5N

« Reply #65 on: 02 April, 2009, 12:45:12 am »
Pointless

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #66 on: 02 April, 2009, 06:54:17 am »
Nice time for Bath there, Blah :thumbsup: 

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #67 on: 02 April, 2009, 07:02:58 am »
Sadly I still haven't got round to sorting out some swimming lessons. 

I did find one locally but it was on a Saturday afternoon which is the only day I can go out for a long ride.  Now I have major works in the back garden hanging over me it seems even more unlikely.  Oh Poo.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #68 on: 05 April, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »
I missed your IM write up last September Blah, so have hugely belated awe, admiration and congrats.

After TRAT my next goal is a sprint tri, but given that I am an endurancey type not a speedy one, I have ambitions to hold a lanterne rouge on an ironman one day.  A goal for several years time, that one.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #69 on: 18 May, 2009, 07:52:45 pm »
Just opened my book with Tewkesbury sprint, and a very strong PB.  A gusty wet bike meant lots of the athletes who weren't primarily cyclists were taking it easy or being battered by the wind.  My back held out on the aerobars all the time except for a couple of grades where it got slow enough that there was no loss, when I could stretch out.  I'm closing in on evens for a bike leg.  The tri totty I was chasing didn't hurt either; I'm no greyhound but that was a very nommy rabbit.

(Someone's going to track her down and point her to that now... ::-) )

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #70 on: 18 May, 2009, 08:05:27 pm »
Just opened my book with Tewkesbury sprint, and a very strong PB.  A gusty wet bike meant lots of the athletes who weren't primarily cyclists were taking it easy or being battered by the wind.  My back held out on the aerobars all the time except for a couple of grades where it got slow enough that there was no loss, when I could stretch out.  I'm closing in on evens for a bike leg.  The tri totty I was chasing didn't hurt either; I'm no greyhound but that was a very nommy rabbit.

(Someone's going to track her down and point her to that now... ::-) )

:o 

I've seen what you do to nommy rabbits Gates!

NSFvegetarians:
(click to show/hide)

;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #71 on: 18 May, 2009, 08:18:54 pm »
Heh... I was too much in the zone to feast upon tribunny when I caught her on the bike. 

God, how sad is that.  I should have coasted up with a Terry Thomas "Helleau!"

That always gets the chicks... ::-)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #72 on: 18 May, 2009, 09:37:58 pm »
Oh dear. It was a rather worrying moment for me yesterday when I realised there were only 11 weeks until my first ever triathlon  :-\ How this all came about was last September in a pub (of course) when someone uttered the words that bring a shiver to my spine whenever I hear them, "I bet you can't do one of those triathlon thingies, go on I dare you".  :demon:

So, spurred on by beer my competitive spirit, I got home and entered one. Did I opt for a sensible sprint distance. Of course not. Silly Pippa, I went straight in for an Olympic distance (only £5 or so more expensive for double the fun - a bargain to be had!). I now fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

So I find myself wondering how things will pan out. When I entered last September I had not been on a bike for about, oooo, 5 or so years, I hadn't been swimming since my last sun holiday (and to be honest that was more of the lilo surfing kind than actual swimming), and I had just completed my first ever 5K run (which was more like a third run and the rest walk).

With 11 weeks to go, I am running about 5 miles twice a week, I cycled about 120 miles over the weekend and I am swimming 1.5km in a pool in about 38 mins. I know it'll be tough, but I'm hoping my pig headedness determination will get me through on the day. I'll certainly be a back of the packer, but I'm not there to break any records, just to finish. And that will give me a goal to beat next year :D

Benefits so far - my bottom doesn't block out as much of the sun as it used to, I don't lose my finger when I poke my thigh, and my knees do not look like a family of slugs have taken up residence under the skin (well, OK, there might still be a few baby slugs lurking around). These must all surely be good things  :thumbsup: Oh, and I've discovered I really quite enjoy cycling. Even bigger  :thumbsup:

So the countdown now begins in earnest. In typical Pippa fashion, I have left a lot of things until the last minute like BRIC sessions, get a wetsuit, try an open water swim etc etc.

It will certainly be a challenge and to say I am nervous would be the understatement of the century. But hey, isn't that all part of the fun?  ;D

Wish me luck people! I will most certainly need it. Hopefully in 11 weeks I'll be able to report that I am a fully fledged triathlete.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #73 on: 18 May, 2009, 09:50:05 pm »
Oh dear. It was a rather worrying moment for me yesterday when I realised there were only 11 weeks until my first ever triathlon  :-\ How this all came about was last September in a pub (of course) when someone uttered the words that bring a shiver to my spine whenever I hear them, "I bet you can't do one of those triathlon thingies, go on I dare you".  :demon:

So, spurred on by beer my competitive spirit, I got home and entered one. Did I opt for a sensible sprint distance. Of course not. Silly Pippa, I went straight in for an Olympic distance (only £5 or so more expensive for double the fun - a bargain to be had!). I now fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

So I find myself wondering how things will pan out. When I entered last September I had not been on a bike for about, oooo, 5 or so years, I hadn't been swimming since my last sun holiday (and to be honest that was more of the lilo surfing kind than actual swimming), and I had just completed my first ever 5K run (which was more like a third run and the rest walk).

With 11 weeks to go, I am running about 5 miles twice a week, I cycled about 120 miles over the weekend and I am swimming 1.5km in a pool in about 38 mins. I know it'll be tough, but I'm hoping my pig headedness determination will get me through on the day. I'll certainly be a back of the packer, but I'm not there to break any records, just to finish. And that will give me a goal to beat next year :D

Benefits so far - my bottom doesn't block out as much of the sun as it used to, I don't lose my finger when I poke my thigh, and my knees do not look like a family of slugs have taken up residence under the skin (well, OK, there might still be a few baby slugs lurking around). These must all surely be good things  :thumbsup: Oh, and I've discovered I really quite enjoy cycling. Even bigger  :thumbsup:

So the countdown now begins in earnest. In typical Pippa fashion, I have left a lot of things until the last minute like BRIC sessions, get a wetsuit, try an open water swim etc etc.

It will certainly be a challenge and to say I am nervous would be the understatement of the century. But hey, isn't that all part of the fun?  ;D

Wish me luck people! I will most certainly need it. Hopefully in 11 weeks I'll be able to report that I am a fully fledged triathlete.

For the wet suit I would say Decathalon in surrey quays?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #74 on: 15 June, 2009, 01:00:44 pm »
Top Tip from yesterday: Don't, on mounting your bike, kick your bike shoes into the spectators.  doh!