Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 407079 times)

Maladict

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #25 on: 18 April, 2008, 06:34:21 pm »
...you can just turn up on the line and pay £1 according to the website...
Ah - that's the "come and try it" scheme, the rules for which were always a bit hazy  :)

Still, if you intend to take TTing even slightly seriously, it's well worth being in a club with a TTing tradition.

From the races page:

*  The start time is the time that the first rider begins the race/TT, please turn-up to sign on at least 15minutes before the time shown.

* Rides are free to first and second claim members of Cambridge CC. There is a £1 fee for non-members.

* Cambridge CC members get priority (except Come and Try It events).

* Don't forget to do your bit as a helper.

* The Come and Try It events are open to anybody irrespective of their membership status with this or any other club.

I find the final line slightly confusing since there is a suggestion that you can just pay £1 as a non-member on all club events.

Anyway I'll renew my membership and clarify the position before thursday.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 18 April, 2008, 06:47:20 pm »
I've done a lot of "10s".

You progress quite rapidly, largely because as you get to know a course you can pace yourself better.  I know, for instance, that I have to be out of the last roundabout by 21 minutes to be anywhere near PB.

Tri-bars are pretty essential; I've even used them on my Thorn Nomad (with rack, lights and mudguards) for sopping wet TTs, and scraped in at about 28:30.

Wear non-flappy clothing and try and maintain a constant power input (easier to gauge on flat courses), letting rip in the last half mile.  If you overcook it and feel oxygen debt or incipient cramp, you'll need to ease off but by then the time damage has been done.  Listen to what your legs and lungs are telling you.

If possible try and sign on immediately behind one or two of the slower riders (the ones doing it for a laugh on MTBs are a good bet).  Having someone to chase, and hopefully pass, is much better than riding on your own and only being passed yourself.

It's very tempting to take risks with cars at roundabouts if you're "on a ride", but there'll be another week.  Statistically, TTing is fairly dangerous, with the odd death each year.  Look where you're going too, because it's all too easy to stare at your front tyre in the aero position.  A former head of personnel at our place killed himself by doing this - straight into the back of a parked Range Rover.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:05:10 pm »
First one of the season for me yesterday.

Flattish 10, dry but windy, 24:36. Not great, but 35 seconds faster than I've gone before in perfect conditions. A pro can do this course in 20 mins, good club rider time about 22 mins. 21:55 was the fastest yesterday.

I was riding a better bike, but i've also done some training (only a bit mind). Don't know which was most responsible for my new turn of speed.

I'll be doing some 25s (an hour and 7 mins is my best there) and maybe a 50 (not done one yet) later in the season.

08/05/08 Just taken my 10 time down to 24:13. Wahhhhh!

Maladict

« Reply #28 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:16:45 pm »
My 31'0 was on a Trek 1000 without tri bars.  I'm having tri bars put on $newbike.

« Reply #29 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:37:03 pm »
My 31'0 was on a Trek 1000 without tri bars.  I'm having tri bars put on $newbike.

Having now retired from time trialling (don't worry, I do something else instead), may I wish all YACF time triallists a satisfying and safe season  :)
Profit or planet?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:22:59 pm »
I've done a lot of "10s".

You progress quite rapidly, largely because as you get to know a course you can pace yourself better.  I know, for instance, that I have to be out of the last roundabout by 21 minutes to be anywhere near PB.

Tri-bars are pretty essential; I've even used them on my Thorn Nomad (with rack, lights and mudguards) for sopping wet TTs, and scraped in at about 28:30.

Wear non-flappy clothing and try and maintain a constant power input (easier to gauge on flat courses), letting rip in the last half mile.  If you overcook it and feel oxygen debt or incipient cramp, you'll need to ease off but by then the time damage has been done.  Listen to what your legs and lungs are telling you.
As you get to know the course you also know where you need to push, and where you can get a bit back.

If possible try and sign on immediately behind one or two of the slower riders (the ones doing it for a laugh on MTBs are a good bet).  Having someone to chase, and hopefully pass, is much better than riding on your own and only being passed yourself.
Where do you get these guys? The ones locally 'doing it for a laugh' are the ones without disk wheels/deep section rims and pointy hats.. The ones of us on normal road bikes.

It's very tempting to take risks with cars at roundabouts if you're "on a ride", but there'll be another week.

Do that locally and you *will* be banned. No ifs, no buts. One bad apple can get a risk assessment for the next TT refused and all then lose out. At Wednesday's 10 we were told to proceed past the finish, up the hill and turn in the farm entrance. Pulling a U turn before then would result in your time being scratched and you being banned as it was a condition of the police approval.

Statistically, TTing is fairly dangerous, with the odd death each year.  Look where you're going too, because it's all too easy to stare at your front tyre in the aero position.  A former head of personnel at our place killed himself by doing this - straight into the back of a parked Range Rover.

Yup. Push hard but don't be silly. There is normally a good community around these events and a good craic. And remember to thank the officials and marshals. They don't have to turn up and stand on a roundabout for an hour in the wind and rain.

..d (who has already gone faster than his best last year  :) )

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Maladict

« Reply #31 on: 18 April, 2008, 10:22:30 pm »
I thought I'd clarify the rules before turning up on spec and being told to piss off.  Right thing to do, it turns out.  And of course the club CTT sec (Nick Jackson) happens to be an old colleague of mine so we had a long chat on the phone about bikes and stuff.  I was told just to bring along my membership form and cheque to the start.  :D

Sorted.

I might do a DIY 200 tomorrow just to slow my legs down a bit.  8)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #32 on: 20 April, 2008, 11:04:39 am »
Date             Distance/Time         Course type       Weather conditions            Bike ridden               

05/07/06           10mls/26.39    Rolling  Q10/26        cleardry             Raleigh 76" gear
12/07/06            10 mls/25.38      rolling Q10/26      clear dry           Raleigh 86" gear
21-22/07/07   24hr TT/334           rolling                   cold drizzle       Lambert 72" gear
15/08/07            10mls/26.45       rolling Q10/26      clear dry           Lambert 72" gear
30/03/08             9mls/29.37        Hillyish Qs/30        wet                  Lambert 79" gear 

Did a Catford Club 10 this morning, punctured just as I set off so I fixed it and had a restart, then I snapped a spoke on the drive side with 1/3rd of a mile to go ::-)
Four seconds behind the winner, I must get thinner faster.

20/04/08           10mls/28.42    Hillyish Q10/3      dry and cold    Lambert 79" gear
"Don't stop pedalling"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #33 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:01:59 pm »
I did 26:41 on 70" fixed a few years ago.  It's not a fast course, and I'm not a fast rider.

As for the MTB riders - there's one guy who used to do the full A1 dragstrip thing with a 60T chainring, pointy hat, skinsuit, carbon bike etc but finally realised he was going mad and now rides an MTB with knobblies.  His times vary from evens to about 36".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

desbnet

« Reply #34 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »
Regulations extracted from the Official, Official Events Rulebook :-

16c) Equipment
Fixed wheeled machines are allowed, however the rider should be made aware of the current Century  (Derisory laughter from other competitors usually does the trick)
Any rider found not to have sufficiently barracked a "fixie" shall be designated a collaborator, & have their gearing publically stripped from the machine.

16d) Aerodynamic Accessories
Any riders found using Aero-bars shall immediately have them inserted where the sun don't shine.
Pretty-coloured Disc Wheels are for GURLS
A pointy nose gives an unfair advantage over those with the little button type. A mechanic should be supplied by the Event Organisers to rectify any overly-pointed nasal appendages - The use of Pliers & Cable-ties is recommended.
Large proboscus' in general - HOW MUCH AIR DO YOU WANT? Please leave some for the rest of us !

20c) Event Officials
We are all aware that Event Officials are hardy characters, but the Event Course should ideally start at a Pub, & end at a Pub to ensure that the Official Event Officials are in a fit state to both consternate the participants, and somewhat more importantly, screw up the timing, whilst reminiscing about The Good Old Days.
The expression "New-Fangled" must be included in each sentance.
The Event Officials should perform their "Comfort Breaks" in full view of the Event Riders - cringe-worthy remarks are essential during this proceedure.
The traditional Timekeepers Fart during the 10 second countdown does not apply to Hill Climbs as most competitors would nornally be suffering with colds/sinus blockages renedering the effect useless.

25e ) Conditions on the Day of the Event
Events should only take place if the following conditions apply :-
Visability           (that all is says, so I assume if you can see your bars, it's OK).
There must be a minimum of 3 Brass Monkeys frantically scrambling in the undergrowth.
Leaves are good - there is no such thing as "the wrong type of leaves"   

32c ) Parking at the Event HQ
You must be Joking! Why didn't you ride out ? GURL

758y) General Exceptions
a) The following excuse is the only acceptable reason for non-attendance:-
N/A

b) The following excuses, if used, will be recommended for recall at the Club Dinner :-
"My Carbon Brake Blocks have frozen"
Sorry, no dice - The only time you should use brakes is on a Hill Climb to stop yourself going backwards !

"My LBS haven't delivered my Cerveotta XYZ-Lite 2008 yet"
Well, it looks as if you will just have to choose between your 2006 and 2007 models instead then........

"I can't get enough pressure in my tyres"
Well, attach a hose to the Timekeepers backside - he'll have enough pressure to get you up to 130psi

800a) The Winner
The event winner shall be decided not on a time basis, but the quantity of saliva deposited upon his/her facial hair.       

« Reply #35 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:08:50 pm »
I did 26:41 on 70" fixed a few years ago.  It's not a fast course, and I'm not a fast rider.

As for the MTB riders - there's one guy who used to do the full A1 dragstrip thing with a 60T chainring, pointy hat, skinsuit, carbon bike etc but finally realised he was going mad and now rides an MTB with knobblies.  His times vary from evens to about 36".

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "evens" mean in this context?

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Maladict

« Reply #36 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:13:12 pm »

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "evens" mean in this context?

I believe it's 20mph - i.e. 30 mins for a 10.

Maladict

« Reply #37 on: 24 April, 2008, 08:29:42 pm »
24/04/08      E3/10     30'20 (ish - official times not released yet)

Treewheeler

« Reply #38 on: 24 April, 2008, 08:52:50 pm »
1st and only time under the hour.
54:12 P901 1994
 531c Raleigh with campag Athena but I borrowed Rocco Richardsons Campag Boras and tri bars.
I won the event by about 4 min and there was a marshalls enquiry after to make certain I never missed a turn.
 I was a second cat at the time.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #39 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:07:06 pm »

Well done - your first 10?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Maladict

« Reply #40 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:11:18 pm »

Well done - your first 10?

..d

Second - my first was in 2000 or 2001, I did 31'00.  This course was slower, and there was more wind (tail wind out, headwind back).  I'm on a faster bike now, with clip-on tri bars.  I slowed in the last km or so, misjudged when to start pushing a bit harder towards the end.

The new bike feels very fast.

Treewheeler

« Reply #41 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:15:20 pm »
Are you on foot...? ;D

Maladict

« Reply #42 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:51:22 pm »
Correction E3/10 24.04.08 30'15

« Reply #43 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:58:51 pm »
Correction E3/10 24.04.08 30'15

Just wait until you get your powertap applied to the job of training for TTs, that time will come down pretty quickly  ;)

I did 26m 34s last night, which was my PB on that course, but I'm still racing below my capability. I did the E3/13 in a training ride tonight (the E3/10 back from the stetchworth roundabout, but going round to 6mile bottom and down the A1304 to the same roundabout - 12.8 miles) and did more power than last night's race  ::-)

Neil

Maladict

« Reply #44 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:36:29 pm »
Neil, I guess I should try to work out who you are next week.  ;D

Maybe you saw me.  I was in an Assos short-sleeved top, on the Madone.  Pumpers will be along in a minute to tell you which celebrity I look like.  8)

« Reply #45 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:48:21 pm »
Neil, I guess I should try to work out who you are next week.  ;D

Maybe you saw me.  I was in an Assos short-sleeved top, on the Madone.  Pumpers will be along in a minute to tell you which celebrity I look like.  8)

It's the fastest CCC course next week (Sawston) - fingers X'd for it not to be windy.

I didn't spot you, but my bike is easy to pick out - it's a Kaffenback with a fast-forward seatpost and a seriously down sloping stem, so it looks very odd.

Neil

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #46 on: 26 April, 2008, 03:47:28 pm »
Date             Distance/Time         Course type       Weather conditions            Bike ridden               

05/07/06           10mls/26.39    Rolling  Q10/26        cleardry             Raleigh 76" gear
12/07/06            10 mls/25.38      rolling Q10/26      clear dry           Raleigh 86" gear
21-22/07/07   24hr TT/334           rolling                   cold drizzle       Lambert 72" gear
15/08/07            10mls/26.45       rolling Q10/26      clear dry           Lambert 72" gear
30/03/08             9mls/29.37        Hillyish Qs/30        wet                  Lambert 79" gear 

20/04/08           10mls/28.42    Hillyish Q10/3      dry and cold    Lambert 79" gear

26/04/08          10mls/27.09      rolling Q10 /22   warm & sunny  Lambert 76" gear

Not too bad a course in the end I could probably have left the 79" gear on as although it is rolling they are gentle long drags and I didn't have to get out of the saddle apart from the start  :)

The winner P Bull from VC Elan did 21.14 I think.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #47 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:19:35 pm »
A local club (Shaftesbury) has started their weekly 10 mile TT series near to me and I'm thinking of entering a few this year. Will be a new experience for me as I've not raced at all before. I'll be riding fixed wheel and I'm confident of going under half an hour. Anyone got any tips for me? Like, what sort of training should I be doing? should I invest in some aero-bars? Etc.

« Reply #48 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:22:23 pm »
A local club (Shaftesbury) has started their weekly 10 mile TT series near to me and I'm thinking of entering a few this year. Will be a new experience for me as I've not raced at all before. I'll be riding fixed wheel and I'm confident of going under half an hour. Anyone got any tips for me? Like, what sort of training should I be doing? should I invest in some aero-bars? Etc.

Southend Wheelers are doing their TT around Steeple on Wed evenings.

« Reply #49 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:24:59 pm »

A 10 is just an eyeballs-out, grimace-and-bear-it, flat-out ride. Get as low as you can. Use interval training to get as fast as you can.