Author Topic: 30mph overtake...  (Read 4826 times)

30mph overtake...
« on: 13 September, 2009, 08:28:49 pm »
This on the flat(ish) A21 northbound towards Bromley this morning.  A very satisfying scalp!!!! Notice the open legs?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/riYeT1FlTWo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/riYeT1FlTWo&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jakob

Re: 30mph overtake...
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2009, 08:56:00 pm »
Eh? He's sitting upright, with the hands on the top of the bars and obviously just rolling along.

« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »
You passed him way too close.  You deserve a hefty parp of the Airzound and a high-pitched and breathless reprimand followed by the threat of being exposed on youtube.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:19:58 pm »
You passed him way too close.  You deserve a hefty parp of the Airzound and a high-pitched and breathless reprimand followed by the threat of being exposed on youtube.

I'm shell shocked!  :o
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:23:37 pm »
I had an even better one tonight.  I got to 35mph, and I still had the geezer.  This chap was on a lovely Bianchi, and much fitter than the guy in the video, plus he knew I was coming.  Sadly I failed to remember to hit the video to save the loop.

Eh? He's sitting upright, with the hands on the top of the bars and obviously just rolling along.

Don't worry, I'd have easily had you too, no matter how hard you tried.  He was doing over 20mph, so that's hardly bimbling along.

« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:24:32 pm »

That bloke may have not long ago had open heart surgery.
Shame on you Bent Mikey. You c**t!

;D
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:26:59 pm »

Don't worry, I'd have easily had you too, no matter how hard you tried. 

;D ;D ;D

:thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:43:25 pm »
Oh, and another one, from Catford to the top of Bromley Hill.  I dropped him on the flat, although he was quite fast and it took me a while, we got back together at a couple of traffic lights along the way.  Then I managed to build a gap up Bromley Hill and maintain it.  V. pleased with that, it's where I'm weakest on the recumbent.

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:47:48 pm »
Oh, and another one, from Catford to the top of Bromley Hill.  I dropped him on the flat, although he was quite fast and it took me a while, we got back together at a couple of traffic lights along the way.  Then I managed to build a gap up Bromley Hill and maintain it.  V. pleased with that, it's where I'm weakest on the recumbent.

Easy now, Mikey. The British love nothing more than to see someone fall from grace. C**ts!

« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:59:48 pm »
Oh, I've no pretences, I know I'm slow by any serious standards.  This is just about my own overtakes and what are big achievements for me, albeit little ones in reality.  It'd be easy for someone really fast to come and see me off.  I'm not sure I'd even be able to see LeeW go past, just his dust, for example.

« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:04:11 pm »
Oh, I've no pretences, I know I'm slow by any serious standards. 

You're not THAT bloody slow! Stop over-covering your arse.  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:06:22 pm »
Oh, that's not arse covering, that's just knowing the reality of my place.  I did say "by serious standards" after all.  Faster than Jakob though.

« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:11:08 pm »
I do think that you sticking little "scalp" icons on your bent (like some WWI fighter ace) is taking it a bit too far though.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:11:30 pm »
"The look of sheer terror as he tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen in my rear-view mirror."

Shame on you Mikey.

;)

H

Jakob

« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:30:45 pm »
Oh, that's not arse covering, that's just knowing the reality of my place.  I did say "by serious standards" after all.  Faster than Jakob though.

And a lot more arrogant too...

« Reply #15 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:35:31 pm »
*He shoots, he scores!*

LOLOLOL!  It's not arrogance, it's successfully pushing your buttons.

« Reply #16 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:40:27 pm »

yup, that's what I thought too.   :-\ :-\ :-\ ???

....  He was doing over 20mph, so that's hardly bimbling along.

I bimble along taking it easy at 20-25mph looking like that quite often on the commute.  25-30mph is when I start pushing. 

I'm not fit or healthy either.  I got cross over the bank holiday, sitting between 10 and 12 mph into a headwind.

« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:54:26 pm »
...sure.  *nods*.

Jakob

« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:32:02 pm »
*He shoots, he scores!*

LOLOLOL!  It's not arrogance, it's successfully pushing your buttons.

That still qualifies as arrogance.

Posting videos about how you 'pwned' someone who was A) never competing with you B) unaware of your presence and on a lot less aerodynamically efficient bike is rather sad.
If a car had overtaken you in that manner, you would be on here complaining about how dangerous they were driving.

robbo6

« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:39:04 pm »
Any one got any videos of them overtaking a 'bent rider as he slogs up a moderate incline? Preferably with their wicker basket in view at the bottom of the frame.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:41:21 pm »
...sure.  *nods*.

That guy didn't look like he was gunning it and like you say, you already had an advantage.  :-\

« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:55:38 pm »
If the conditions are favourable, then 20mph can be just bimbling along. Hey, I've done 55mph without even pedalling before. No effort at freewheeling down that hill. 8)
Of course, a recumbent would have gone a bit faster.

I think some of you are taking Mikey a bit too seriously here. It looks to me as if he's just having a bit of fun and just wants to share it with us. Maybe Mike is being a bit self indulgent, but I can't see any harm in that. I like to see people enjoying themselves on their cycles.
Come on, it's only a bit of fun. :D ;)

Isn't it?

« Reply #22 on: 18 September, 2009, 07:09:13 am »
Yes, it's huge fun riding the recumbent.  I can't do 30mph for very far at all on my upright, but I can do it for kilometers on the recumbent on the flat.  It's extremely exciting, it makes my hairs stand on end and makes me woop with joy.

... And nearly as much with winding up Jakob.  Sorry mate, I hope you'll see it was only in jest.  I do it all the time, it's fairly std southern african humour.  Done only to those we like and respect, so don't take it too personally.   ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 18 September, 2009, 09:15:12 am »
I think some of you are taking Mikey a bit too seriously here. It looks to me as if he's just having a bit of fun and just wants to share it with us. Maybe Mike is being a bit self indulgent, but I can't see any harm in that. I like to see people enjoying themselves on their cycles.
Come on, it's only a bit of fun. :D ;)

Isn't it?
Imagine a thread like this written by an Assos-clad Cat-1 whippet on a Cervelo ...
"Mon:
overtook 4 Carradices and blew 3 hybrids into the gutter. Great start to the week :D "

He'd be labelled a w@nker before his tyres had cooled down.

Yes, I'm sure mikey is just enjoying his groovy machine, but I can easily see people mis-reading some of his posts.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 18 September, 2009, 09:36:31 am »
I overtook a pedestrian in my car today.

1-0 to me!!!!   :thumbsup: