Author Topic: Wooden flooring  (Read 2460 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Wooden flooring
« on: 13 May, 2008, 10:45:55 am »
Thankfully, the extension/conversion/re-modelling of Woofage Towers is nearly complete and the wooden flooring for the 6x4m family room arrives tomorrow. We've gone for re-claimed pine floorboards to match the rest of the original downstairs flooring (great word that: downstairs ;)). This room is a modern (1970's) extension with a concrete screed. My question is: should I glue the boards down or have them floating? They are T&G so I can glue them to each other.
Pen Pusher

Re: Wooden flooring
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:55:53 am »
ours have been glued down, apparently it's 'much better' which is probably builderspeak for easier and quicker. 

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:53:03 pm »
Hmmmm

Concrete screed with floorboards on top?

How flat/level is the screed?

Stick with me - this line of questioning is going somewhre

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:55:24 pm »
If they're nailed to thin battens, wouldn't that make the floor feel more like a real wooden floor, if you see what I mean, because of the slight give?

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2008, 06:03:30 pm »
If the floor is level then yes it could be bedded on blobs of adhesive, it will make it a bugger to fetch it up for any reason though

Does the concrete floor have a DPM in it?

If not I would put DPM down, followed by a thin laminate flooring foam under lay, then the boards on top, just bear in mind how much clearance you have under the skirting if they have not been removed, if its not enough and you want the boards to fit under the skirting then the skirting will have to come off, which will mean a skim whith plaster afterwards, you can hire a tool that takes the bottom off skirting with out removal but not many hire places carry them

You may want to give the screed a coat of self leveling compound first if the floors a bit wriggly

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:46:53 am »
Well, I've finished it ;D. Decided to float rather than glue in the end (although each piece is T&G and glued to its neighbours). Looks the dB's. I'll post pics when the room is complete.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:21:51 pm »
Did you use battens underneath to achieve a level base?

Never heard of just glueing them to each other but then I wus brung up in the old fashioned way ;)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"