Author Topic: Train tickets without reservation  (Read 2099 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Train tickets without reservation
« on: 14 May, 2008, 10:47:43 am »
I'm sorry but I have been out of the UK for such a long time and every time I come back I have trouble with train tickets!

I will be flying back from New York in August (to London) and I need to catch a train to Reading from Heathrow. Can I buy my ticket in advance and get on any train, because with a long flight I won't know what time I will be there. Do you have to make a reservation on a particular train to get a cheap ticket? When I go on trainline.co.uk it asks me to select a particular train time to buy a ticket.

Re: Train tickets without reservation
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:57:37 am »
First of all I'd suggest using http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ which is where you end up if you go to http://www.gner.co.uk/

Enter the details and hit Search.

If you click on a fare at the top of the screen it'll show you which services that ticket is valid for in the lower portion. It also says:

"Only select a service if you want to reserve a seat."

I picked a random day 5 weeks in advance (Mon 23rd June) and entered Heathrow Rail to Reading Stations one way.

There are a bunch of different fares on that day, all on different routes:-
The £14.60 fare (Cheap Day Single) is only valid on trains where you have to change at Hayes & Harlington, and Slough.

The £29.60 fare (also a Cheap Day Single) is valid on those trains, plus the trains where you have to come all the way into Paddington and then go out again.

Given that the Paddington option takes a few minutes (sometimes 15 minutes) longer than the first option, and costs twice as much, it's not a difficult choice.

Again, only select a specific train if you want to reserve a seat on the train. If you do this then your ticket is only valid on that specific train (and you'd have to pay an excess fare to get an earlier/later train).

So no, you don't need to make a reservation on a specific train to get a cheap ticket.

Go to the website above, enter the details, search for tickets, pick the lowest fare that makes sense for you, note down the times of trains and where you'll need to change, don't select a specific train and click on the buy a ticket link.

P.S.

You might want to consider getting a cab to Staines (especially if you're coming in to T5 as it's only about 3 miles) and then the half-hourly direct train to Reading which is only £8.50 and can be bought on the day (i.e. you can't get it cheaper than that in advance).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:14:18 am »
Thanks very much Greenbank. I'll be able to sort it now. At least I know its not me, it just is damn complicated!!!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:16:32 am »
If your ticket is an "Open Single" it can be used on any train, with no time restriction.  For such a short journey (esp one-way only) it's unlikely there'll be any cheaper option even if you reserve in advance.

Heathrow to Reading requires a change-of-train at
EITHER
London Paddington: use Heathrow Express (HEX) from Heathrow to Paddington (platforms 6 or 7).  Then First Great Western to Reading.  Long-distance trains (first stop Reading) usually depart from platforms 1-5.  Local trains (no bike reservation needed, but you have to stand in the doorway with your bike) usually from platforms 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14; most go to Reading eventually. (The ones that don't are labelled Heathrow, Greenford, Henley or Slough.)
OR
Hayes-and-Harlington: use Heathrow Connect to Hayes, arriving in platform 4.  Cross over the bridge to platform 3, for a local train to Reading.

The latter will be cheaper; ask for Heathrow to Reading NOT via London.

Which terminal at Heathrow?  The railway lumps terminals 1 2 and 3 together, and calls them CTA (Central Terminal Area).  There are separate stations for terminals 4 and 5.  HEX starts at T5, calls at CTA, then fast to Paddington.  Heathrow Connect starts at T4, calls at CTA then all stations to Paddington.  There's also a shuttle from T4 to CTA so that both T4 and T5 have a 15-min interval service.

I've not used thetrainline; instead, I use nationalrail.co.uk. But when I ask it for Heathrow to Reading, it suggests the Airport Bus link.  So you can force it to use the train by specifying "Via Hayes" or "Via Paddington".  With the "Via Hayes" option, it sometimes suggests an extra change at Slough, because the stopping train (Paddington to Hayes to Slough to Reading to Oxford) gets overtaken by a faster one between Slough and Reading.  But you'll get to Reading only a minute or two later if you stay on the slow one.

If you've not got a bike with you, I'd recommend the bus!
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:30:59 am »
Thanks, bus looks a good idea. No bike, but will have young child with me!

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:11:40 pm »
You have two choices by Bus, either:

The rail air bus run by first great western direct to Reading Station

or the rail air bus to Feltham and then the local half hourly service to Reading

Personally I expect the direct bus is the easiest way but I don't know if you have to prebook it.

matthew