Author Topic: Oak door and black spots  (Read 18211 times)

rae

Re: Oak door and black spots
« Reply #25 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:39:15 am »
Hmmm.  2.2k should be more than enough.  That centre panel is outrageous - looks rather plainsawn to me, and on a 2.2K door, that's taking the piss.  The panel on the right looks a bit that way as well. 

The discolouration on the step is quite normal weathering - sand when dry and oil it. 

The construction at the bottom appears interesting.   I don't really understand the filler - looks like screw or nail holes, which is completely wrong 

They have also put an unprotected joint at the bottom.  As the water runs down, it is soaking into the joint.   It should have a lip routed into it at least - it looks square to me. 

Edit - looked at the pictures again - I think the discolouration coming from the splash ledge is simply water splash from falling rain.   A touch with a bit of sandpaper and oil will fix it.   The door is a year old, and has just been though a winter - feed it.

For reference, our new gates, delivered last week are about 5x the size, all riftsawn and will cost 3.5K installed.   Go figure....

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:44:43 am »
£2.2k for a door?   ;D

That's good-old fashioned mould at the bottom of the stile.

In olden times, wouldn't they have slapped some linseed-based paint on it?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:14:12 pm »
There seem to be pins or nails in there which should not be needed as there will be mortise and tenon joints in there. Perhaps a half arsed attempt to pin down a split of some sort? Wrong anyway.

To be honest Annie, the location is exposed and the door is not set in at all so will catch all the weather. The way that door is put together means there are too many places for water to sit and work into the joints. A more simple design like a "ledged and boarded" door will more durable as the grain will run uninterrupted to the bottom.   

annie

« Reply #28 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:25:52 pm »
The bottom panel went that colour within 3 days of being fitted, they came back and tried to sand it down, the result looked just the same.  I agree about the standard of the workmanship.

I have been up to the shop and asked that someone return to explain what they are intending to do.

I am in the middle of prepping our gates to be painted so I could sand the bottom down in between and feed with linseed oil but the colour will remain the same I think.

« Reply #29 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:39:55 pm »
Leave it until they look at it or they may say that it was your work that has contributed to the problem.

annie

« Reply #30 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:27:20 pm »
Leave it until they look at it or they may say that it was your work that has contributed to the problem.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:37:48 pm »
We've just had a new oak front door and frame made and fitted and I spent a lot of time trying to decide how to finish it.  I too wanted to try and keep the lovely honey tones of the natural wood, but eventaually came to the conclusion that it wasn't possible.  After asking a lot of people the choice seemed to come down to either Danish Oil, and be prepared to re-apply at least once a year, perhaps more often, or a 2 part finish such as Sikens Cetol or Sadolin Classic + Extra.

The 2 part finishes are not available in clear as they rely on pigmentation to block UV light which causes as much damage as water, iand n the end I used the Sadolin "light oak" finish which hasn't changed the colour too much and I am pleased with the result, but only time will tell.

If you used something like the Sadolin light oak on your door it would probably hide a lot of the staining, especially if you rubbed it down first, however I am not sure how sucessful it would be on previosly oiled wood.  The density of the grain means the oil wont have soaked in very far, but probably beyond "sanding depth".  I wouldn't use linseed oil as this can leave a slightly sticky finish, although boiled linseed oil is better, and as Sgt Pluck says it would be best to leave it alone until they have been back to look at it.

« Reply #32 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:35:41 pm »
I worked many years ago for a smallish Building Contractor who was superb at joinery works, fitting out Banks and so on.

We made loads of stuff using Oak and never once had any staining problems. I can't see the photos but question if kiln dried wood had been used which would have eliminated dampness staining and mold.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

annie

« Reply #33 on: 29 May, 2008, 01:41:16 pm »
I went into the shop last week, they promised to call, I haven't heard a thing.

« Reply #34 on: 29 May, 2008, 01:47:23 pm »
Just persist in a dogged fashion without letting it stress you out.

It's a damn expensive door, but it is only a door and it is doing its door-y thing even if it doesn't look they way you'd like.  :)