Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3006153 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Bucovina's an odd name, is it to do with wine or does it take its name from a rather specific area of Eastern Europe (or perhaps most likely neither of these things?)

I think it takes its name from the area. It's a pretty BIG concern, from what I can see; Romanian, I think. Their retail outlet occupies the two shop units that were previously the Post Office. Their warehouse appears to operate 24/7 from the local commercial estate; it always seems busy. (It is sited on my favoured taxi route so I pass by at any and every hour.)

Bucovina's an odd name, is it to do with wine or does it take its name from a rather specific area of Eastern Europe (or perhaps most likely neither of these things?)
That rather specific area on both sides of the Ukrainian/Romanian border, including the city of Chernivtsi/Cernăuţi?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/its-soul-destroying-say-bree-louise-landlords-as-hs2-forces-pub-to-close

Thats a shame.  I sometimes pop in there for a pint before getting a train back to Liverpool  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/its-soul-destroying-say-bree-louise-landlords-as-hs2-forces-pub-to-close

Thats a shame.  I sometimes pop in there for a pint before getting a train back to Liverpool  :(

Nooo! GBG listed, and offered a CAMRA discount. Had many a quiet pint in there after meetings at the Wellcome and before hopping on a train at Euston. I didn't know where the name came from either - very poignant.

fuzzy

I had my first attempt at galxy imaging last night- basic single frame DSLR on an unguided non tracking tripod.

M31 Andromeda Galaxy by Matt Langridge, on Flickr

The Andromeda Galaxy (Messier 31). That fuzzy blob of light centre image is over 2.5 million light years away.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Nice.  You might consider making a barn door and using a stacker program.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος

Worthy of Bad News or Rant threads.   >:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

I knew this was coming, but it's a shame to hear that it's imminent now.  >:( :(

Aside from being a very good source of real ale, they also do spectacularly good pies.  It's not a terribly convenient pub for me, but I've still been there quite a few time.  It's a great shame to see it going.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
That rather specific area on both sides of the Ukrainian/Romanian border, including the city of Chernivtsi/Cernăuţi?
That's the area.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I knew this was coming, but it's a shame to hear that it's imminent now.  >:( :(

Aside from being a very good source of real ale, they also do spectacularly good pies.  It's not a terribly convenient pub for me, but I've still been there quite a few time.  It's a great shame to see it going.

But in less than a decade luckily Londoners will have easy access to the rather better https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woodman

But in less than a decade luckily Londoners will have easy access to the rather better https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woodman
Those sound like fightin' words!

(Is it really that good? I've always assumed it was a bit of a dive - it's never looked that prepossessing from the outside.)

I've always been disappointed by the crowds and noise and whenever I've visited there were no pies!

Just another noisy, expensive and average pub.   :demon:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
I think the word is 'PWNED'...

Bloggergate
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Following a week or so of repeated flushing with tepid water, I'm delighted to report that my Mont Blanc fountain pen (which was last used around 20 years ago) is, once again, working perfectly  :smug:

fuzzy

Nice.  You might consider making a barn door and using a stacker program.

Barn door is on the 'To Do' list (once I have the materials).

Beardy

• Shedist
Just watching a couple of the young people in the office engaging in a little light flirting, unless that is, my ability to read the body language is way off. Ah, what it was to be young free and single (with one thing taking up so many of the processor cycles :))
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Following a week or so of repeated flushing with tepid water, I'm delighted to report that my Mont Blanc fountain pen (which was last used around 20 years ago) is, once again, working perfectly  :smug:

Never had a Montt Blonk (Norn Iron received pronunciation) but I resurrected my 40-years-dormant Sheaffer a few years ago. It served as the spur to collect 20+ FPs, at which point I realized how trivial a pursuit it was, so now they're all gunged up again.

What I noticed was that whereas when I was at school you bought an FP at the stationers by the bus-stop, filled (oh, sorry, "inked") it and used it and it worked immediately, if you buy a pricey modern collectable* you have to send it away for nib work because only a fool would expect a new pen to work just like that.

*hah bloody hah
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

This reminds me of the incorrectly-plumbed lavatories I used to use on the ground floor of Portcullis House, Southend, when I worked at HMCE.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
A Green Fly is slowly making its way across my desk right now!! It's 23rd of January for goodness sakes!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I received this helpful email from TfL today
   Dear ****

Journey times on 11 different bus routes in Edgware have become more consistent recently, including route 142.

This means that you can depend on the time your journey takes being more reliable. So, for example, most of the time a journey between Burnt Oak Broadway and Edgware station in the morning peak will take on average 20 minutes.

The distance is one mile.

If I could walk, I wouldn't bother with a bus...

Wait, what?  :o ;D :facepalm:

A dozen beasts have been disqualified from this year’s Saudi “camel beauty contest” because their handlers used Botox to make them more handsome.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-camels/prize-camels-keep-tradition-alive-in-changing-saudi-but-please-no-botox-idUSKBN1FB1WL
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Beardy

• Shedist
Mo, my youngest daughter is currently an A&E nurse (as you might have seen me mention before). We went to see her at the weekend and she voiced the opinion that she might like to start pursuing the possibilities of becoming an airmed nurse or some such and be part of the flying ambulance service. A bit of a change from the midwifery/sexual health direction she thought she might go in. Mother was not overly joyous at the prospect  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Wait, what?  :o ;D :facepalm:

A dozen beasts have been disqualified from this year’s Saudi “camel beauty contest” because their handlers used Botox to make them more handsome.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-camels/prize-camels-keep-tradition-alive-in-changing-saudi-but-please-no-botox-idUSKBN1FB1WL

'Well! You don't want to end up with an ugly one...!'*

*Quotation from "Chestnut Corner". An interesting collection of old jokes you might never have heard again.
Bonus points for identifying the origin of Chestnut Corner.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Mo, my youngest daughter is currently an A&E nurse (as you might have seen me mention before). We went to see her at the weekend and she voiced the opinion that she might like to start pursuing the possibilities of becoming an airmed nurse or some such and be part of the flying ambulance service. A bit of a change from the midwifery/sexual health direction she thought she might go in. Mother was not overly joyous at the prospect  :o

I hope she realises how smelly/noisy/dangerous helicopters are, good luck to her if she decides to do that. 

If no longer enamoured of the NHS, she could do worse than be an offshore medic
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens