Author Topic: TV on the PC  (Read 1755 times)

TV on the PC
« on: 25 May, 2008, 09:55:24 pm »
In a moment of foolishness I purchased one of those Hauppauge TV /pc USB stpackages.

It worked fine when my pc was by an aerial socket but now that I have had to move the pc the aerial supplied and several portable ones I have tried are not sensitive enough to pick up a signal.

As my pc is now 15ft from the aerial socket- a trailing wire is not desirable option.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

For instance would some form of "TV signal sender" work ?

Paul

border-rider

Re: TV on the PC
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:00:26 pm »
You could try a signal booster.  We use one on our upstairs TV with an indoor antenna to get Freeview

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:24:11 pm »
MV
Unsure whether that would help or cause problems, our main TV has always had good reception even when analogue . The problem I think is more with the Hauppauge system.

We are almost within sight view of the transmitter (approx 25 miles away). Despite living in England our first problem was getting  the English version of the BBC. The reception for Welsh TV is very good here, not just watchable but as good as the English channels.

This is despite being approx 30miles from the border.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:30:46 pm »
I'm a bit confused.

The Hauppage is really just a TV tuner.  It'll work fine if the signal is strong enough.  Put a signal booster on a portable antenna and it'll be fine

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:37:49 pm »
I'm a bit confused.

The Hauppage is really just a TV tuner.  It'll work fine if the signal is strong enough.  Put a signal booster on a portable antenna and it'll be fine

MV
Don't worry its me.

I am ignorant about these things and wondered whether there would be any issues (interference ??) about boosting an already strong signal.

I will start looking at signal boosters.

Thanks

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:40:11 pm »
Oh, OK

No, the signal may be strong in the air, but the little set-top antenna isn't very good at turning that into an electrical signal in the cable that leads to the TV.  The booster sits between the antenna and the TV so it makes the electrical signal bigger - just as if the antenna were stronger.