Author Topic: Jungle Hiking Boots  (Read 5615 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Jungle Hiking Boots
« on: 11 May, 2010, 06:26:56 pm »
Hey all,

I have a friend who is going to Borneo and other assorted jungles around the planet later this year for prolonged periods of time and she is asked about what kind of footwear she needs. Snakes will be an issue so ankle protection is a must but other than that?

Any advice is appreciated...
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Jungle Hiking Boots
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2010, 06:32:33 pm »
I have no idea.
But you live not far from Silvermans if you need army surplus stuff.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2010, 06:44:20 pm »
Sadly she's near Winchester or somewhere
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »
Jungle Boots from Nomad - and an advice line too:

"Unsure what to take on your trip? Call one of our EQUIPMENT ADVISORS  on 0845 260 0044 who will ensure you have the right clothing, equipment & medical supplies for your trip"

Or there's these by Altberg

The cheaper ebay option here for US Army issue.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:14:15 pm »
Don't you want some kind of ankle protection?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:18:09 pm »
Genuine issue US Army jungle boots are excellent - Silverman's have them.  Those linked above look like them but aren't the pukka article.

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »
If she can, she should go to Peglers outdoor in Arundel or Global Adventurer in Forest Row and ask advice and try boots on thoroughly. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »
Boots for the jungle need to be very different from those designed for Lakeland fells or Tibetan trails, and UK outdoor shops are unlikely to have a clue, unfortunately.  Normal hiking boots will rot and so will your feet.  You need rot-proof breathable material with eyelet holes in, big enough to let the inevitable water out but small enough to keep the creepy crawlies out too, flexibility for when your feet swell but some ankle reinforcement, and solid reinforced soles that wont yield to the serious thorns you get in places like Sabah.  Anyone who's served in the military in a jungle environment will tell you that American jungle boots are the way to go.

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »
Over at BritishBlades a guy in the philippines has written up details of a survival course he went on. I imagine conditions are similar to Borneo.
Take a gander at this.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?8002-The-JEST-Way
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2010, 11:46:19 pm »
Jungle Boots from Nomad - and an advice line too:

"Unsure what to take on your trip? Call one of our EQUIPMENT ADVISORS  on 0845 260 0044 who will ensure you have the right clothing, equipment & medical supplies for your trip"

Or there's these by Altberg

The cheaper ebay option here for US Army issue.

In other words, phone us and one of our sales people will flog you loads of stuff you don;t actually need.  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2010, 12:03:49 am »
Flip flops. ;D

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2010, 07:50:42 am »
Crocs?
Ok, sorry.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2010, 04:58:03 pm »
Genuine issue US Army jungle boots are excellent - Silverman's have them.  Those linked above look like them but aren't the pukka article.
Current US and UK issue Jungle boots are the same boot.

The US ones stopped being black and green years ago, so the ones in the photo are the real thing.

fuzzy

« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »
I have experience of Altberg boots and love them. I don't know about the jungle boots but if their other stuff is anything to go by, they'll be reet :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:53:26 pm »
Boots for the jungle need to be very different from those designed for Lakeland fells or Tibetan trails, and UK outdoor shops are unlikely to have a clue, unfortunately.  Normal hiking boots will rot and so will your feet.  You need rot-proof breathable material with eyelet holes in, big enough to let the inevitable water out but small enough to keep the creepy crawlies out too, flexibility for when your feet swell but some ankle reinforcement, and solid reinforced soles that wont yield to the serious thorns you get in places like Sabah.  Anyone who's served in the military in a jungle environment will tell you that American jungle boots are the way to go.

My colleagues in the TA say that many of HM Armed Forces end up buying the Altberg boots, because they fit better and are more robust.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:58:21 pm »
The issue assault boot has always been a bit tommy tank.

Danners, Lowa, Pro Boot, Matterhorns, KSBs died black etc etc.

Anything but the crappy assault boot, the jungle boot is OK though as less is more with boots that are going to remain wet in humid conditions, you don't want a lined boot.

fuzzy

« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »

My colleagues in the TA say that many of HM Armed Forces end up buying the Altberg boots, because they fit better and are more robust.

In my personal (historic) experience of issue military kit, there are very few items where the issue kit is approaching being on a par with kit that you can buy. Apart from my uniform, most of what I used operationally was either purchased or modified with something I bought to make it useable.

« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2010, 08:22:29 pm »

I have a pair of Altberg motorcycle boots and they're so good I'm just about to replace my Magnums with Altberg's for work.  You can get custom lasts made but the price is frightening, and off the peg seem to fit me OK.  Very well made, for sure, but I'm not sure I'd trust them for jungle boots.

« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »
Current US and UK issue Jungle boots are the same boot.

The US ones stopped being black and green years ago, so the ones in the photo are the real thing.

There are plenty of copies around and I am (admittedly) assuming that the ones on ebay are not the genuine article.  Have you seen these two?

GENUINE US JUNGLE BOOTS

US TYPE JUNGLE BOOTS