Author Topic: Mobile battery charging packs  (Read 1762 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Mobile battery charging packs
« on: 16 May, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »
I want some kind of gizmo to charge up my mobile phone and MP3 player - either from a bunch of AA batteries (preferably four) or from a dedicated high-capacity cell.

The best unit I've seen online has been this 4xAA charger from Expansys.  It is switchable between the voltages that you'd typically get from a set of NiMh cells or a set of lithiums so you don't fry your gadgets.  I have a Powerchimp which seems to work, but you don't get a lot of juice from just two batteries.

Anyone got anything like this?  Can anyone recommend anything else suitable?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Mobile battery charging packs
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2010, 10:28:52 pm »
An oscilloscope and an RS account?   ;)

...though, tbh, for this sort of thing smaller is better, and building things neatly is always a pain  :-\

From my somewhat-limited experience, while the dedicated-lithium-based thingers are a size, weight and (probable) electrical sanity win, they only prolong the inevitable.  Fine if you're trying to make an iPhone battery last a whole working day, less useful if you're camping or whatever.

On a related note, as I demonstrated this weekend, dynamo-powered chargers won't get you very far if you're not going very far.  As it were.  ;D

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:41:09 am »
I'm looking at the same, for keeping the Edge 705 going for Audaxing. The iPhone isn't a problem, if I put it in flight mode when cycling/sleeping I can get more then 5 days out of it. Stop at control, turn off flight mode, send texts/tweets/etc, back in flight mode and off, still usable as a camera whilst in flight mode.

Here's where I got to:-

Portable Power Supplies - Portapow USB Battery

Pros:

Light
Rechargeable
Fits in tri-bag to recharge/power GPS during the night for rides up to 600km (probably).

Cons:

Not cheap: £30
Might not be enough to keep a Garmin going for the whole of a 1000km ride, PBP or LEL since it can't be recharged en route (touring would allow you to recharge it by mains). Initial power in GPS would last 15 hours, this should add another 30 hours.

Generic eBay 4xAA battery holder with USB socket:-

Pros:

Light
Cheap: under £5
Can use any batteries found along the way (just need to carry 4 AA batteries for an emergency) or a stash of rechargeables

Cons:

Requires USB cable hackery to stop putting the Edge 705 in data mode.
Bit more fiddly, not quite as plug and go as the Portapow.
Stash of batteries = weight
Stash of Lithium batteries = light but expensive

--

In other words, I can use both depending on the situation, so I've just ordered a PortaPow. I already have an ebay special 4xAAA battery pack.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2010, 12:11:38 pm »
In dedicated lithium battery packs, my pet iPhone user recommends the Just Mobile Gum Pro for its awesome charge:size ratio.

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2010, 06:03:29 pm »
I have a draw full of the energizer ones that came with the 99p lithium batteries.

They work just fine with lithiums, haven't tried them with Nimhs yet.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »
What you need is to carry one of these Charlotte.

Helps you loose weight, build muscle and give your phone/laptop/mp3 player/camera about 5 years of continuous battery life.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2010, 07:20:25 pm »
I use the big brothers of the Power Chimp

The PowerMonkey is larger and has a significant power increase over the Chimp. I also use the MiniGorilla for my Netbook.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »
I have a draw full of the energizer ones that came with the 99p lithium batteries.

I sold my drawfull on eBay :)

I would only have a need for this sort of thing when staying in places for more than a few days with no mains supply.  Otherwise why not just carry a mains charger or spare charged proper battery or two?  Compatible lithium ion batteries for mobiles etc can be bought cheaply.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2010, 07:56:00 pm »
Otherwise why not just carry a mains charger or spare charged proper battery or two?  Compatible lithium ion batteries for mobiles etc can be bought cheaply.

Apple.

« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2010, 08:20:24 pm »
Indeed, but not exactly easy to fit.   Can't see anybody dismantling an iPhone to change the battery whilst on tour. 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 19 May, 2010, 08:34:23 pm »
Does one of those solar powered widgets fit the bill?  The Boy has a Freeloader. It's a Lion battery (I think) with a couple of small PV panels attached. It kind of folds up for carrying. It's supplied with a whole host of different connectors and leads. The idea is you keep the battery charged using the PV panels and then charge your Ipod/GPS/phone from it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:43:45 pm »
Solar's out of the question because it ain't nearly sunny enough in the UK.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:53:23 pm »
Upto a point Lord Lady Copper. (wary of the fact that you work in the Energy sector IIRC)

The Boy used his last bank holibobs weekend in darkest Rutland. Took a long time (like all day) to charge it up, but had enough coulombs to get his Nokia E50 going again.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2010, 12:31:17 am »
I've got a Gomadic Lion battery. It will recharge a phone/accessory about three times off one charge. Also for real emergencies I have an A4 battery holder. The Gomadic system is quirky; it works on 'Tips'; I have iPhone, Mini USB, Sony Erricson W810i and Crackberry tips. I also have a double mains adaptor and a car adaptor.

So We only need to take one charger on holidays with us and I can charge or power my phone and GPS whilst out on the bike. The lion battery is charged through mini USB and power comes out through a full size USB socket.

They have a quirky Amazon shop and some stuff is only available from the US. It's what Canadian business partners's luggage allowance is for.
It is simpler than it looks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:50:42 am »
Solar's out of the question because it ain't nearly sunny enough in the UK.

With the latest gen panels it's not so much an issue when it comes to small capacities like phones etc.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium