Author Topic: Hole Saw Kit  (Read 1817 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Hole Saw Kit
« on: 28 May, 2008, 01:00:31 am »
Anyone have a hole saw kit I can borrow to test? I wanna test if these are actually any good at cutting rounded corners :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Hole Saw Kit
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:56:13 am »
It's a pity you can't come up to our workshop for a day, Sam.

You're probably going to have to sand a bit after using a hole saw.
Drill half way from each side to avoid spintering.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2008, 09:02:51 am »
Use your router and a suitable jig and or a trammel.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:39:49 pm »
Aye I've made a circle jig which I can use I guess, would be a lot easier to use a hole saw and then zip round with a router to cut the cut out and then zip round again with a rebate bit.

John, If I came to your workshop you might find that I DLock myself to your CNC machine lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »
You talked about a CNC machine, what do you think about this one ? DIY Robot Does 3D Carving: Self-Replication Still Far-Off (wait until the end and see what it does then) I want one
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:44:07 pm »
You talked about a CNC machine, what do you think about this one ? DIY Robot Does 3D Carving: Self-Replication Still Far-Off (wait until the end and see what it does then) I want one

You should take a look at stereo lithography to see machines making things that are un-makeable by conventional means.
Word has it that the technology is not far off being able to zap any kind of plastic you put in there, and not just restricted to UV-curable resin.
I worked with these machines a few years ago.
Their products then were ...err... notchy (requiring hand finishing) albeit impressive.
I can only imagine that today the quality has improved vastly.

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:32:10 pm »
We've got some sort of beast in our engineering workshop which apparently does this sort of thing using what in effect is something like an inkjet printer.

This is an example of what it produces:

The white bit, including the base, was made as a single object.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:02:05 pm »
We've got some sort of beast in our engineering workshop which apparently does this sort of thing using what in effect is something like an inkjet printer.

This is an example of what it produces:

The white bit, including the base, was made as a single object.
That, TimO, looks to me like the product of stereo lithography.
Undercuts and fugitive cores being fabricated like it has never been possible before.
Just not entirely suitable as a manufacturing process (not quick enough cycles) for mass manufacture.
Yet. . . . . . .
But it's the d0gs b0ll0x for prototyping and R&D of components.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:22:59 am »
15-20 years ago when I was doing my degree, we were just starting on stuff like this. Our school was very lucky to get one of these uber expensive machines in Denmark.

They were well fun to play (and program) with but the results were very rough. And there were rumors when I left that our school was about get one of them laser things that "burn" the shape into some liquid/gel thing and you could do 3D objects with them, I never got to play with it :(
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit