Author Topic: Best journey method to Scarborough?  (Read 1686 times)

Best journey method to Scarborough?
« on: 23 May, 2010, 11:57:11 pm »
My parents may be moving to Scarborough (centre).  By car, one way, it will be about 4.5-5hrs - and just over half a tank of petrol (£30).  Quite a long car journey for the children though.  Guessing people will have some good deals websites and ideas up their sleeves - what is the cheapest/easiest way to travel Oxford to Scarborough return for a w/e by train or plane, say instead of car?  Leaving after 4pm Fri & returning by 8pm-10pm Sunday evening.

Anyone from Scarborough - what's it like?.  Never been there myself.

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Best journey method to Scarborough?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2010, 06:45:32 am »
I'm about 20 miles from Scarborough.   Best way to get there other than drive is train, with good connections from Hull and York.  nearest airport is either Humberside or Leeds Bradford so you'd have to hire a car to get from them.

I like Scarborough, we're considering moving there when the kids move on. As with any town it has its rough areas and its nice areas and the town,the seafront and the traffic are a nightmare on summer warm weekends, but in spring, late autumn and winter it can be quite quiet.   its also close the Wolds, the North Yorkshire moors, Dalby Forest, Whitby, Rydale, so some fantastic countryside in every direction.
And you can get nice icecream :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:06:15 am »
You can get to Scarborough from Leeds-Bradford Airport without hiring a car. Bus to the station then the train direct to Scarborough. Probably not the fastest nor cheapest or easiest. The Trans Pennine Express from Manchester(airport)/Leeds/York is quite frequent, nice trains and would be my choice providing connections from Oxford are OK. Try the East Coast Trains or TPE website for routes.

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2010, 09:43:51 am »
Thanks.  Just looked at Raileasy.co.uk

Seems, by train, one can go from Oxford to Scarborough, changing only at York.  I looked for 3 months in advance to check prices and £108 return for four of us isn't too bad (if one says by car: £70 petrol + wear and tear).  

I wonder - is it possible to book further in advance than 3 months any where?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2010, 09:48:43 am »
Scarborough's nice in places, and grim in others - I really like it overall though.  I especially like it in the spring and the autumn when it isn't so bonkers busy.  Be warned that in summer the trains fom York get very busy - well worth seat reservations!

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2010, 05:46:42 pm »
We love Scab. Get the kids a couple of DVD players (special treat for long trips only) and the journey is a pleasure. Having said that, the roads tend to snarl up with holiday makers on change over days so plan accordingly.

The hold coast up there is great. You should move there. I wish we could.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:16:44 pm »

Not on the trains. It's to stop people block booking the cheap tickets every weekend for months/years. At least with the 90 day rule it becomes a bunfight every Thursday morning (or whatever time it is they release the next batch of tickets, I forget).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:36:32 am »
The Train ride from York to Scarborough via Malton is very scenic.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2010, 08:48:38 pm »
Thanks.  Just looked at Raileasy.co.uk

Seems, by train, one can go from Oxford to Scarborough, changing only at York.  I looked for 3 months in advance to check prices and £108 return for four of us isn't too bad (if one says by car: £70 petrol + wear and tear).  

How do you get to and from the stations at either end?  You need to factor that in too.  If you can walk, fair enough, but taxis are very expensive and buses in a strange town can be difficult.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2010, 08:58:17 pm »
Scarborough isn't very big. If they are living in the centre you could definitely walk or if you have small kids and luggage a taxi will be around £5:00.

« Reply #10 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:45:44 am »
Scarborough isn't very big. If they are living in the centre you could definitely walk or if you have small kids and luggage a taxi will be around £5:00.

Yes, fortunately this end - 5min walk to bus stops - every 10min/20mins into Oxford (& direct to station).  Scarb end - 10-15min walk from Sca train stn.   It looks like rail is a viable option, but I guess we'll drive occasionally too.

« Reply #11 on: 28 May, 2010, 11:01:57 am »
Driving from Oxford isn't too bad.  Cut across to the M1 via the A43 then M1, M18, A1 and A64 all the way past York to Scarborough. Be aware that on bank holidays and summer Saturdays and Sundays the A64 gets very busy with long queues at the A64 roundabout at York and where the dual carriage way ends between York and Malton. There are alternate routes that are a bit longer but very scenic PM me if you need to know any.