Author Topic: Activity ideas for London village this weekend.  (Read 1658 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Activity ideas for London village this weekend.
« on: 26 May, 2010, 11:02:29 am »
I am working this weekend (part in office, part on call) and Mrs T and TLD are visiting.  Does anyone have any ideas of what they can do whilst down here?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: Activity ideas for London village this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:04:27 am »
Cycling related or not ?

How old is TLD ?
Rust never sleeps

tiermat

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:05:24 am »
Not, as only I will have my bike

TLD is 6
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:11:50 am »
A few thoughts:

London Eye
London Aquarium (next door to the Eye)
Science/Natural History Museum
Tower of London
Open Top Bus Tour
Riverboat
London Transport Museum

What are Mrs T and TLD's tastes?

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:12:01 am »
When I'm looking for something to do, Time Out usually comes up trumps. They even have a kids section.

Activities For Kids in London - Children's Events - Time Out London

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:17:24 am »
The Udderbelly is just fantastic.
There is a bar/cafe area outside with giant jenga and conenct 4 - just such a great place to hang out.
Underbelly |  Southbank Centre

The London SE1 website has an excellent events list.  London SE1 :: South Bank, Bankside, Bermondsey & Waterloo

My own tuppence worth (as a London resident):

Go to the Royal Festival Hall. Have a coffee on the terrace overlooking the river.
Look for any free concerts in the Clore Ballroom or National Theatre. Walk along the riverside back up to the London Eye to see the street theatre performers - break dancers, statues, bubble blowing man. Absolutely tops for children.
Book your tickets at the Udderbelly for the evening.
Stroll back as far as the National Theatre, pop into the National film Theatre and ask for their free screening room - you get a session where you can call up archives of 1000's of film clips on a screen (shared headphones) for free.
Continue to stroll to the Tate Modern if you feel like it.

Tell you what, if anything at the Udderbelly takes your fancy Mrs Scum and I will come along. Any other YACFers?

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:19:59 am »
A few thoughts:

London Eye
London Aquarium (next door to the Eye)
Science/Natural History Museum
Tower of London
Open Top Bus Tour
Riverboat
London Transport Museum

What are Mrs T and TLD's tastes?
If the Science Museum features there is the brilliant Launch Pad specially for kids, I think on either the 3rd or 4th floor. When we go there it is all we can do to drag our two out of there (aged 6 and 8).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:20:30 am »
Oh, and near London Bridge Unicorn Childrens Theatre.

Unicorn Theatre
The Tempest sounds a bit much for a six year old though.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:24:25 am »
London Duck Tours.  River and road tour combined on the one vehicle.  I've been on one and it was good fun.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:26:07 am »
If you don't book tickets for the Potted Pirates your TLD will never speak to you again:

Underbelly |  Southbank Festival

Tim

« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:33:37 am »
Greenwich beer and jazz festival is on, beer and live music (not all of it jazz), but not so suitable for youngsters.

Ps if anyone else is visiting on Friday see you there.

« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:51:28 am »
Anything on the river is good, but bear in mind if you were thinking of a trip on one of the inflatable speedboats, they are a) pricey and b) like other river traffic restricted to something like 12 knots (less than exciting) anywhere upstream of just east of Tower Bridge.

Speed restrictions downstream of Cherry Garden Pier (Bermondsey) are more relaxed - for  full wind-in-hair effects look no further that the Thames Clipper Service.

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:57:29 am »
Speed restrictions downstream of Cherry Garden Pier (Bermondsey) are more relaxed - for  full wind-in-hair effects look no further that the Thames Clipper Service.

Yeah, and don't I know it - they do doughnut turns just outside my window (chiz, moan).
Highly recommend the Thames Clipper also. Have suggsted a trip to Surrey Docks farm on the clipper for the afternoon. Young TLD can feed the goats by hand.

tiermat

« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:47:00 pm »
If you don't book tickets for the Potted Pirates your TLD will never speak to you again:

Underbelly |  Southbank Festival

Just told Mrs T about this, via email and she thinks it is a brilliant idea, that and the farm thing, so I think they will be taking you up on your kind offer.