Author Topic: Renovating cafe style chairs - help required  (Read 4310 times)

annie

Renovating cafe style chairs - help required
« on: 03 June, 2008, 11:37:00 am »
I have just made a start on my next project, renovating some garden chairs.

I don't have a problem removing the rotten wood.

Nor preparing new wood ready to be painted.

I don't however have any idea how to remove the rivet thingies.  I could use a crow bar (tried that already) but it bends the actual chair so isn't an option.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove them so that I can fit the new wood and then use a nut and bolt to secure.

Many thanks once again.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Renovating cafe style chairs - help required
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:38:32 am »
Hacksaw them off and pull out with a pair of pliers or some side-cutters?  Maybe smack the cut-off portion with a hammer to loosen them up?

If they won't come out like that, cut 'em flat, centrepunch and drill the buggers out.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:40:23 am »
I presume they are not loose in their holes. Thus use a hack saw to cut them flush and drill the rest out. Might be easier to just drill from the underside if they have some sort of dimple to centre the drill bit in or if you can punch a dimple.

annie

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:42:16 am »
Wow, what speedy replies, thank you :-*

I have just borrowed a punch thingie from Robert down the road at the garage, he told me to 'be careful', famous last words.

Off to have a go with the hacksaw and then the hole punch thingymajigiybob.

Fun, fun, fun in my greenhouse, which is currently housing an old bike and only a few plants, a tumble dryer and a microwave :)

I am in my element.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:46:13 am »
What sort of wood have you bought?

Western red cedar is very resilient to weather damage as it retains lots of natural oils and resins apparently. It's what good-quality beehives are made out of.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »
Hacksaw's too slow and tame.   I'd have taken my angle grinder to them  ;D

annie

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:39:56 pm »

but I am accident prone as you well know.  I have managed to remove 10 of the little devils so far without any adverse reactions.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2008, 01:32:33 pm »
Yep! A big angle grinder!!

Or a great big FO pair of bolt croppers!!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

annie

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »
All was going well until  :-\ I had a momentary relapse.  I was in the middle of stripping when I decided to take 5 minutes and sit down on another chair, as I sat down I felt a strange sticky sort of feeling on my back  :( stood up promptly and felt a strange sensation from the lower half as well.  I had sat on the chair I had just painted, my trousers are in the machine, I don't hold out much hope for them, the tshirt is still on my back.

::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:30:24 pm »
But if you were in the middle of stripping I would have thought that at least the shirt or the trousers would have gone by then. ::-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rae

« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:32:35 pm »
Yep! A big angle grinder!!

Or a great big FO pair of bolt croppers!! 

Did someone say plasma cutter?

annie

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:41:42 pm »
But if you were in the middle of stripping I would have thought that at least the shirt or the trousers would have gone by then. ::-)

I hadn't spotted that, I wasn't actually stripping myself, best leave it at that.  I think I had just finished chatting to Rich, can I blame him instead?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:16:54 pm »

I hadn't spotted that, I wasn't actually stripping myself, best leave it at that.

Oh - so who was stripping you then?  :o

I think I had just finished chatting to Rich, can I blame him instead?

Ah - all becomes clear  ;D ;D

annie

« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:45:35 pm »

I hadn't spotted that, I wasn't actually stripping myself, best leave it at that.

How can I make something so innocent seem so crude and full of inuendo? :-\

What I meant was..... actually does it matter what I meant, I think the further I go the worse it becomes?  Rich wasn't actually in the greenhouse, not in person anyway.

I am about to take my trousers out of the machine and examine the damage, they fitted really well :(

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:59:08 pm »

How can I make something so innocent seem so crude and full of inuendo?

It's not you - its us.  ;D

Shame about the troos - I hate it when i do that to my favourite clothes.

annie

« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:49:47 pm »

How can I make something so innocent seem so crude and full of inuendo?

It's not you - its us.  ;D

Shame about the troos - I hate it when i do that to my favourite clothes.

Sighs.... my troosers are stripey, I may take photographs tomorrow :(  they even have little marks from the screws.  I find it hard to find a decent pair of trousers, at least a pair that fit in all the right places, not swimming around the hips and so on.  Do you think it will start a new trend?

The t shirt was actually a pyjama top that I just hadn't taken off as I was doing grotty work and was being lazy. 

On a good note, the top layer of my tattoo peeled off in the bath, well I hope that is what is supposed to happen, however there is a little hole in one of the petals and it is bleeding :(

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2008, 04:05:12 pm »

How can I make something so innocent seem so crude and full of inuendo? :-\

What I meant was..... actually does it matter what I meant, I think the further I go the worse it becomes?  Rich wasn't actually in the greenhouse, not in person anyway.

I have that effect on women 8) they go weak at the knees and have to sit down, either that or Sam's mojoTM is catching and I'm starting to be a hit with the ladies :thumbsup: ;D.

Rich.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 04 June, 2008, 04:18:13 pm »
Did someone say plasma cutter?

Plasma cutters are the coolest toys since lightsabers  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #18 on: 04 June, 2008, 05:21:49 pm »
On a good note, the top layer of my tattoo peeled off in the bath, well I hope that is what is supposed to happen, however there is a little hole in one of the petals and it is bleeding :(

That is supposed to happen, don't worry. 

When my friend had a huge medieval design on her back, I got to peel her regularly until it healed.  Did they give you the special bottle of soap to wash it with?  A little bit of bleeding isn't unusual either from what I've seen.

annie

« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:43:56 pm »

That is supposed to happen, don't worry. 

When my friend had a huge medieval design on her back, I got to peel her regularly until it healed.  Did they give you the special bottle of soap to wash it with?  A little bit of bleeding isn't unusual either from what I've seen.

Special soap :-\  I have some Chamillosan that I have been applying, has kept it nice and smooth and greasy.  I just realised that I probably shouldn't have gone swimming tonight but the enjoyment far outweighs any worries over my toe.  It is the best day I have had for a long, long time. :)