Author Topic: Rain inside camcorder - repairable?  (Read 1851 times)

Rain inside camcorder - repairable?
« on: 09 June, 2008, 03:10:57 pm »
We've just had a very wet half term holiday in France.  It rained every day and on our last full day, which dawned fair, we decided we'd have a crack at the hill on the other side of our valley.  A nice climb up to the 909m summit gave us splendid views of the Cevennes and the Ardeche foothills and a visit from a pair of alpine swifts.

On the way down we were treated to a torrential downpour.  That was fine - just another 2.5 hours trudging back down the mountain, fording streams that hadn't been there earlier.  What I hadn't realised was that my son's dinky and almost brand new camcorder (he'd bought it with birthday money three weeks earlier) was in his pocket, not really protected from the elements at all.

Sure enough, on inspection it had lots of droplets of water inside the lens assembly.  These have now mostly dried, and parts of the electrickery inside now work normally but, having for a while had a fuzzy version of the normal image on the viewfinder, it's now black, with the data still showing but nothing coming through from the sensor.  The sensor chip seems to have died, which is not altogether surprising. 

Does anyone here know whether such damage is economically repairable? 
The whole thing cost about £170 so I fear that a skilled repair by a UK-based bod is likely to cost more than a replacement unit, but I just wondered whether this is a familiar scenario and can be remedied by someone (with a knowledge of how these things are put together) snapping a fresh chip in place and telling you not to di it again.

gonzo

Re: Rain inside camcorder - repairable?
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2008, 03:14:25 pm »
Not much help now, but if you get electronics wet, don't turn them on. Open them up as much as possible then put them under a medium powered lamp (so things don't heat up too much) then leave it there for several hours.

Of course, if you've got a vacuum pump of sufficient power to vapourise water at room temperature, that's even better!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »
Might be worth sticking it in a bag with a few desiccant packs.  Let me know if you want some, I use them all the time at work.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:31:19 pm »
Stick it in a warm dry cupboard for a few days til it's dried out. It should be ok.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:57:42 pm »
Stick it in a warm dry cupboard for a few days til it's dried out. It should be ok.

. . . . providing no contacts have been corroded to the point where they no longer make a good connection...
This happened to my Canon SLR after it went for an involuntary rinse in a Welsh stream.
It worked intermittently but ultimately required the attention of the Canon spanner man to put it right.

Aside - having bounced the camera down 20 feet of embankment, and into a river, resulting in the above damage and the door to the camera opening,
the only shot I lost from the stock was the one that was in the frame at the time - the remainder D&P'd OK.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:25:05 pm »
In the french guyanaise jungle a few years back, everyone had issues with their camcorders (MiniDV variety) due to the 98% humidity.  Basically like water inside, just chewed up the tape.  2 days in air conditioned hotel room, and it would work like new again.
Would suggest the same.  Put it somewhere warm and dry, and hope for the best.
AndyM

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:11:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice folks.  I've already given the camera a few days in our lovely warm airing cupboard.  I fear it's gone past the stage where any malfunction is being caused by the ongoing presence of water.. :(

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2008, 12:21:02 am »
 My mate does tv/video repairs, let me know make and model and I'll ask when I speak to him on Thursday or before if I get a chance.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2008, 10:21:24 am »
Hi Steve - that's a kind offer.  It's a "Sanyo Xacti CG65 SD Card Digital Movie Camera" and it's very nice apart from the fact it doesn't work.  I wouldn't mind one of my own to be honest, as it seems to take decent still photos as well as being very small and light and eminently suitable for recording bike rides.

« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2008, 12:38:03 pm »
My mobile died as a result of getting soaked on a ride - I put it in the airing cupboard for a few days - and it recovered, except for the screen back light.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:57:50 pm »
Hi Steve - that's a kind offer.  It's a "Sanyo Xacti CG65 SD Card Digital Movie Camera" and it's very nice apart from the fact it doesn't work.  I wouldn't mind one of my own to be honest, as it seems to take decent still photos as well as being very small and light and eminently suitable for recording bike rides.

Hi Paul sorry I was slow getting back, he reckons the modern cameras have surface mounted components on double sided boards and once water gets in it can do a lot of damage.
  Best thing is as you have done open it up as much as possible and leave in the airing cupboard use silica gel packs aswell if you can get them.

The prices of the spares does not make them very viable for repair :-X

good luck
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:39:21 pm »

Hi Paul sorry I was slow getting back, he reckons the modern cameras have surface mounted components on double sided boards and once water gets in it can do a lot of damage.
  Best thing is as you have done open it up as much as possible and leave in the airing cupboard use silica gel packs aswell if you can get them.

The prices of the spares does not make them very viable for repair :-X

good luck

Thanks ever so much for asking about this Steve - I've spoken to a couple of repair places and they have said exactly the same thing.  Our insurance won't cover it so I'd better buy the little chap a new one.  Maybe a weatherproof one this time. 

Ho hum, I guess this means I won't be upgrading my wheels any time soon.