Author Topic: Electronic keyboard...?  (Read 1598 times)

Electronic keyboard...?
« on: 18 June, 2008, 02:31:16 pm »
I want to get mini ao and myself a second hand electronic keyboard.  Mini ao recently announced she would like to give up the cello (grade 2 currently) when she goes to secondary school, but wants to try the keyboard/piano; I’m a lapsed ‘grade 1’ level keyboard user.  I’ve had a bit of a poke around on ebay but there seems so much available. A graded & weighted key action – to be nearer an actual piano would be good but not essential, but definitely touch sensitive. Can anyone recommend what (probably Yamaha) to go for?   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Electronic keyboard...?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2008, 03:09:23 pm »
We have a Yamaha Portable Grand, wired in to David's computer. It's a good MIDI interface tool and has a good feel to it. I'm sure the price will have dropped since we bought it. It hasn't quite got a real piano feel but the Clavinova range are less portable.
David bought me a roll-up keyboard from Maplin for my recent birthday; GIVE THIS ONE A MISS!

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2008, 03:25:31 pm »
I'll vote for the Clavinova - they have a really nice feel. the same range as an upright, and a fantastic sound.  They also have a lot of the basic electronic functions like backing tracks.  You can find one second hand on ebay for £200 if you're patient. 

The other option is to have a look on your local freecycle/gumtree and see if anybody wants rid of an upright piano, but you can't practice those quietly and they take up more space.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2008, 03:27:36 pm »
I wandered into a music shop when I was early for a meeting in London a couple of weeks ago, I'm a similar level to you (i failed grade 3 and gave up when I was about 11) - I was amazed by the quality of feel in some of the 150ish pound keyboards.  I wasnt expecting them to feel quite so much like a piano.  Quite tempting....

was this lot (on wardour street)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:59:48 pm »
I wandered into a music shop when I was early for a meeting in London a couple of weeks ago, I'm a similar level to you (i failed grade 3 and gave up when I was about 11) - I was amazed by the quality of feel in some of the 150ish pound keyboards.  I wasnt expecting them to feel quite so much like a piano.  Quite tempting....

was this lot (on wardour street)

I bought our Yamaha DGX-200 from them when they were still on Bond Street.
Amazing building, previously Ivor Novello's abode and YHA shop more recently.

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:23:37 pm »
I've got a Yamaha P60, now superseded by the P70. Full size, weighted keys and very well reviewed.

If weight is any sign of quality (which of course it isn't) it's very good. i.e. it weighs a ton.

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:35:48 pm »
Son2 is learning on the Yamaha PSR E403 but due to his skill, we will be getting a Clavinova one day soonish.

The big benefit so far has been the versatility of the keyboard.  He can play his practice tunes using the drum sound or the flute etc, or even with Orc sounds  ;D  Screaming Jets, Explosions, Laughter .... I could go on.
It makes it so much fun for him and he doesn't realise that he is actually learning at the same time.  His teacher recommends this method at this stage.

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:38:25 pm »
Thanks all, that's helpful.  :thumbsup:

I'll check out the portable grands, others mentioned - and the older Yamaha P** range.  Mrs ao was keen on a traditional piano, but I reckon I'll be able to swing this one, from a portability, space, no piano tuner visit, and headphone connection POV  ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson