Author Topic: The Weight Lifting Thread  (Read 63375 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: The Weight Lifting Thread
« Reply #50 on: 25 February, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »
May I suggest harsh language?   O:-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #51 on: 27 February, 2011, 03:11:01 pm »
Yesterday:

Squat: 82.5kg 5x5.  Went very nicely and the callouses on my upper vertebrae, where the bar rests, are forming again.  Could have gone higher but I've learned the hard way that patience and smooth progression is important.

Press: 35kf 5/5/4 fail, stalling on the fifth.  Looks as if I started back too high with this.  I'll try one more time, then deload to 32.5kg.

Deadlift: 125kg 1x3.  Forgot my chalk and used my cycling fingerless gloves.  I'll remember my chalk, next time, and manage 1x5.

On the whole, happy with the progression.  But I remember how hard I worked to get past 40kg on press.  Need to think hard about that.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #52 on: 02 March, 2011, 09:24:52 pm »
Things I have learned today: 20-rep deadlift scares the cat.   :demon:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #53 on: 02 March, 2011, 10:27:05 pm »
Yesterday: Squat = 85kg 5x5, Bench = 47.5 3x5, Inverted rows 6/6/6.  Still adding 2.5kg to each lift each time.

Finally, I remembered to pack my liquid chalk for tomorrow :)
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #54 on: 03 March, 2011, 11:13:30 am »
Good session, this morning.

Squat: 87.5kg 5x5 with no problems.  Still progressing smoothly back to my old level, taking the time to concentrate on form.

Press: 35kg 5x5 success.  After two successive sessions where I couldn 't get to 3x5, this was great.  Partly it's down to improved technique, partly just diet (eating more).  37.5kg 5x5 should be achievable next time.  I won't try microloading on this until I stall three times.

Deadlift: 125kg 1x5 success.  Remembered my liquid chalk ;)

Pull-ups: 6/6/6 with a 6kg assist.  Have some resistance bands, going to switch to using those.

3x12 inverted crunches with my arms held in the air to avoid any posibility of them providing leverage.

There was a guy in the squat rack next to me doing some impressive front squats.  He pushed it up to 100kg and was doing a series of single reps at that weight.  Then this steroid-pumped Slav comes in and starts doing bench press with his feet up on the bench (idiot).  While front-squats guy had gone to get a drink between reps, steroid guy steals a clamp from one end of his bar because there was one missing from the bench.  When front-squats guy comes back, he finds the plates on the left wobbling as he squats.  Steroid guy, who is taking a rest himself at this point, actually wanders over and tells him to be careful because his plates are loose.  No mention of the fact he stole the clamp, let alone an apology.  Asshole.  I was doing press by that point, not moving such a weight that jiggling plates would be a worry, so I just gave my clamps to him so he could get on with it without doing himself an injury.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #55 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:59:35 pm »
I'm going to switch to just posting weekly progress here, otherwise it seems it'll just be nothing but my posts  :-\

Squat: 90kg 5x5.
Bench: 50kg 5x5.
Press: 35kg 5x5.
Deadlift: 125kg 1x5.

Jakob

« Reply #56 on: 06 March, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »
Sorry, a couple of minor niggling injuries, rehabbing the shoulder and deadline-crunch at work has seriously put a dent into my training schedule.
 I'm having to cherry-pick my crossfit sessions so that I can at least adapt the workout to something I can do, but when those come up, work gets in the way.
 I *may* go to O-lift class tomorrow, but my knees got real funky last week after a CF workout last week and my knees normally never complain! If I go, I'll probably keep everything below 80%.
 Speaking of that workout: 1 min rowing, 1 min rest, 1 min hang power snatch (bar only), 1 min rest, 1 min v-sits, 1 min rest for 4 rounds. 4 rounds, counting calories (rowing) + reps.
 It was actually interesting in doing that many lightweight reps, because arms got quite tired (rowing didn't help either), so got forced to drive more with hips/legs as the rounds went on.

« Reply #57 on: 07 March, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »
Been using Pavel's "ladder" approach for kettlebell clean and press last few days - start by doing 1 rep, then 2 reps, then 3 reps left and right for three rounds and build up to 1, 2,3,4,5 reps for 5 rounds.

Did the full set today with 20kg kettle bell, felt like a big workout, not too surprising as yo do 75 lifts each arm.

Eldest son is home so then pottered along doing goblet squats with 24kg 'bells - good for loosening up the hips. But I no longer have pull-up rings in the ceiling since his weight pulled one of them down  :(

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #58 on: 10 March, 2011, 02:47:47 pm »
Next step - move onto clean 'n press with a 24Kg kettlebell.  3 rounds of 1, 2, 3 each arm. Hard.

Oddly, even tho' I'm right-handed my left seems much stronger, definitely struggling much more on the right.

« Reply #59 on: 12 March, 2011, 02:29:09 pm »
My gym guide back from a week off celebrating his 40th birthday with a cunning plan, a 6-week program called Progressive Pulls, so Friday's session now is :
  • 2 sets cleans
    2 sets high pulls
    2 sets deadlifts
    2 sets stiff-leg deadlifts
    2 sets bent-over rows with underhand grip

First session yesterday, not too heavy so 7/8 reps each set. Plan is to give the posterior chain a beasting. First impressions are favourable, feels like a good routine.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #60 on: 12 March, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »
Rushed session.  Arrived at gym at 5pm, slightly delayed by hunting for liquid chalk; I do not want to waste another session without progress in deadlifts, after forgetting chalk last time. Gym closes at 6pm: enough time.  Get changed and into weights room, 5:10.  At which point, lazy staff member who wants plenty of time to clean up the weights room tells us all we have 20 minutes.  Damn.  Calculate that if I just do 3x5 and compress the intervals between sets that I might just get squats, press and deadlift in.

Squat: 97.5kg 3x5 success.  No problem at all, even at an accelerated pace.  I'll go straight to 100kg 5x5 next time.  Looking forward to Tuesday already.

Press: 40kg 3x5 success.  Very happy about that: am now powering back up towards my old PR.  Will try for 42.5kg 5x5 next time.

And then the lights went off and there was no time for deadlifts :(

So current levels are:  Squat 97.5kg 3x5, Press 40kg 3x5, Deadlift 125kg 1x5, Bench 50kg 5x5.  That's compared to last year's PRs of 120kg 3x5, 46kg 5x5, 135kg 1x5 and 62.5kg 3x5, respectively.

Jakob

« Reply #61 on: 14 March, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
*grumble* At the physio today, I was hoping to get the green light to go ahead with some lighter weights/workouts, but no. Still not allowed to load the shoulder.
Strength is back and balanced, but the shoulderblade is still no quite in the right place and needs more stabilization work.
However, I'm slowly ballooning up again and *will* go to the powerlifting session (and skip the presses). I think I need to go quite light as I haven't lifted anything in ages.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #62 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:39:45 am »
Squatted 100kg for 5 sets of 5, this morning.  Nice to be back in the 100 club; it gets a little harder from here on.

There's something very satisfying about the distinct noise made by a second 20kg plate being pushed against the first one ;)

Jakob

« Reply #63 on: 18 March, 2011, 02:57:50 am »
I was getting stir-crazy (14 hour work days don't help!) and decided to ignore the physio when I saw the workout of the day was 30 double unders , 15 power snatch @ 35kg, AMRAP 10 mins.
Low enough weight that I could do it without loading the shoulder too much and stupid aerobic intensity. (I suck at double unders).
Ok, so not 'proper' weight lifting, but it was nice to throw a bar around again.

« Reply #64 on: 23 March, 2011, 04:17:48 pm »
Bench today, 2 x 2 reps @ 96% of 1-rep max was most pleasing, indicates I can hope to push up my pb soon.

Then a back-off set (reduced weight, high volume) @ 75% of max as a "dead" bench press, so much harder than bouncing it off the chest!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #65 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »
This evening I squatted 107.5kg for 5x5, pressed 41kg for 5x5 and deadlifted 130kg for 1x5.  Not to mention all the warm-up sets.  Getting close to my old PRs.  Very tired, now.

Jakob

« Reply #66 on: 24 March, 2011, 01:53:41 am »
Stupid workout today:
300 double-unders
30 clean&jerk @62kgs
30 burpees.

Due to shoulder, lack of general fitness and fatigue from working too much, I dropped the weight to 40kgs and it was actually nice to do repeated reps with a light weight. I got my clean quite smooth and then put  a lot of focus in jumping up the bar overhead, so that I didn't end up pressing it up (Which is still a big no-no according to my physio).
Burpees just plain sucks.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #67 on: 25 March, 2011, 12:56:45 pm »
Final gym session of the week. So my current levels are

Squat: 110kg 5x5. (PR 120kg 3x5)
Bench: 52.5kg 3x5. (PR 62.5kg 3x5)
Press: 41kg 5x5. (PR 46kg 5x5)
Deadlift: 130kg 1x5. (PR 135kg 1x5)

Going to add barbell rows to bench days, soon.

Jakob

« Reply #68 on: 25 March, 2011, 11:36:48 pm »
That's quite good progression!

I just got the OK from the physio to start lifting *light* weights again. She still wants me to stay away from the OH press for now, but otherwise I can gently start loading the shoulder again.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #69 on: 29 March, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »
Squatted 1.5*bodyweight for 5x5, this morning.  Been there before, but nice to be back.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #70 on: 03 April, 2011, 06:18:48 pm »
Current levels are

Squat: 115kg 3x5. (PR 120kg 3x5)
Bench: 52.5kg 3x5. (PR 62.5kg 3x5)
Press: 45kg 3x5. (PR 46kg 5x5)
Deadlift: 130kg 1x5. (PR 135kg 1x5)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #71 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »
Back into the gym after a layoff.  Rar!  Just a "do what you fancy" set, mind.  Gonna hurt tomorrow :D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #72 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:35:45 am »
Strained my back a bit on Sunday, so I'm going to lay off heavy squats for a week or so.  Going to concentrate on barbell rows and upper body.

Jakob

« Reply #73 on: 11 April, 2011, 07:57:13 pm »
This year, they're having this open qualification for the regional crossfit games, where people can submit scores via video to qualify.
There's a workout each week and this week was very clearly designed to weed out a lot of the innernet-wanna-be's.
As many rounds as possible in 5 minutes of:
Squat clean & jerk @ 165lbs (75kgs).

Prior to my shoulder injury my PR was 75kg!.
Anywyas. I'm not competing (Hah!) and still aiming at around 80% until I get a better idea of what my shoulder can and cannot do, so dropped the weight to 55kgs. This also ensured that I jerked it cleanly everytime, as I still want to avoid pressing if I can.

I got 16-17 reps (lost count, not sure!) and it still amazes me how quickly lifting even 'medium' weights can burn you out. A handful of lifts in and I was gasping for oxygen like I'd just sprinted 400 meters.

Still going to hold off at least another week with the O-lifting class, but it was nice to lift stuff again :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #74 on: 12 April, 2011, 08:30:36 pm »
I'm officially off heavystuff while I get some miles in my legs to counter the LEJOG Fear.  In the meantime, I leave you with Naomi Kutin, at NINE years old, squatting over double bodyweight for a weight-class world record:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mQHrAjb1tzk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mQHrAjb1tzk&rel=1</a>