Linked Events

• York or therebouts-ish ride: 12 March, 2011

Author Topic: York or therebouts-ish ride 12/3/11 - Lungs and Knees and Weather permitting!  (Read 38684 times)

I've mentioned this to my friend-who-is-a-boy and he seems up for a gentle pootle on the Sunday...  I must bear in mind that he's not all that regular a cyclist, and not drag him too many miles! 
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I fully anticipate that I'll be pedalling with one leg by then, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem...  ;)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Well, that's a recce run of the York to Pock bit done.  Spotted a stoat in his winter coat in Bishop Wilton, and I got up Givendale with only 2 "stop to pick up lungs" pauses this time.  Arch apparently hit 33 mph down Grimthorpe, and as I was gaining on her quite a lot of the way I guess I was doing a bit more than that!  There's a very pleasant tea rooms in Millington which had loads of (mostly unlocked) bikes outside (beans on toast £3.50, cakes all under 2 quid, excellent cream scones), and even on a grey gloomy day the long steady haul up through Millington Pastures is very pretty, although I was quite glad that a couple of oncoming cars gave us a good excuse to stop and pull over :)

The road from Huggate to Warter is glorious - a couple of short sharp-ish ups where I had to pedal a bit, but otherwise that whole stretch can just about be coasted.  There's a couple of (in my terms) bastard hills out of Warter, but the looooooooong descent down kilnwick percy hill into Pock compensates more than adequately - it was only spoilt by the dimwit in a motor who overtook me only in order to instantly indicate left, and pull into a farmtrack, and by the three loony free-range dogs chasing a rabbit near the bottom who tried to run out in front of me twice.  As a result I didn't keep up with Arch.  Mind, she apparently flew down most of it at around 38mph, which is at the top end of what I'd dare to do anyway!

We went for the short-ish flat-ish route back, with no Wowbadgers on Northgate lane this time, and totalled 55 miles from the Den and back to Arch's Seekrit Bunker.

Possible very early elevenses stop just before Stamford Bridge at the Balloon Tree if the weather's grim and we expect to cut the ride short.  But, weather permitting, I'd rather do what we did today and stop in the village for a loo and shop stop and press on a bit, if knees and lungs are agreeable.  There's a potential pub lunch in Bishop Wilton if we decide to chop out the majority hills but straight to Millington, even at our leisurely pace today, got us to the cafe for a half 1-ish lunch so about 3 hours in.  There's a couple of alternate routes back from Millington that avoid Huggate and Warter and cut out a couple of wee climbs if we feel the need, but the way we went today York - Pocklington is around 35 miles, didn't involve any walking (even for me) and includes the best part of 10 miles of freewheeling knee-respite. 

Lovely ride out really - and I was warm enough in a vest and a ls jersey (OMG, I was actually out in public IN DAYLIGHT in lycra and the world hasn't ended) with mitts - only really started to feel cold in the feet and the fingers for the last few miles once the sun went down and the wind got up.

Yes, a grand day out.  Update: according to my computer my max speed down Kilnwick Percy was actually 40mph - I'd only dared to glance at it as I went, so I must have missed that moment. Very pleased to have seen the stoat in ermine though.  Fact: in all those pics of Henry VIII and the like, wearing the ermine fur with the little black dots in it, each dot is a stoat's tail.

Very good cafe, I hope you all enjoy it.

Pretty weary now, I've eaten a pasty, noodles, slice of toast, wagonwheel and a piece of cheese and had two mugs of tea, and I think I'll take to my bed soon.  We did both feel the cold a bit on the last leg, and I've not quite warmed up yet, despite almost sitting on my heater.

With the two miles each way to the lock up, I did about 61 miles - 98km, just short of a metric century. 

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
With the two miles each way to the lock up, I did about 61 miles - 98km, just short of a metric century. 
Thought you'd have at least gone round the block a couple of times to get the ton up :)

Anyway, all being well1, I'll be there with 11 gears inna can assuming that Bike Related Setback #2 can be overcome2. Said machine has been christened the "Bat Bike" by the lads in the bike shop and I think the name will stick as it is rather stealthy, even if its rider isn't. Will make sure I've got the brakes bedded in before I go hooning down hills at reckless speeds.

Simon

1 - I've managed to keep pretty mobile these past few days by keeping a hot water bottle or similar stuffed down the back of my trousers. Sounds crazy, but has stopped my back muscles going into spasm so I don't care how foolish it looks.
2 - Seems that a certain distributor who shall remain nameless sent an old-stock Surly 1x1 frame, not the new (2010/2011) spec. Naughty naughty. Means that all the stuff on the existing frame will need swapping over. Even with the 'wrong' frame, it looks suitably badass - Surly 1x1 - a set on Flickr

Too knackered to do anything but get home and eat! 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I know haz a pass for this!!!!

So here is to meeting friends new and old....

(and friends of friends)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Well, Bike Related Setback #2 has been overcome, 'cos it turns out that the distributors did send the correct frame after all - just a bit puzzled as to why it needs a 26.8mm seatpost rather than 27.2mm as stated on the Surly site1 - I'm planning to get back on the bike when I return to work on the 24th, so hopefully I'll have a few miles in my legs come March 12th.

Since these things tend to happen in threes, I'm taking bets on what "Bike Related Setback #3" will be - my money is currently on "rear rack steadfastly refusing to play nice with disc brakes"

Simon

1 - I'm a bit puzzled by this, TBH, so I've emailed Surly for the 'official' word on the subject :)

CrinklyLion

Well, I've edited the OP with who I think is contemplating coming out to play :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
I'm still planning to come out, but Bike Related Setback #3 has just shown its hand - just got an email from Surly and they reckon I might have a damaged frame as the seatpost diameter should most definitely be 27.2mm. If this runs on, then it'll be 8 gears-inna-can for the forseeable future.

I feel a fight with the disties coming on *headdesk*

Possibly. And I may have son1 and/or son2 with me perhaps.
Stop analysing Strava and cut your hedge...

CrinklyLion

Excellent - I've added you to the list.

This is the tearooms that Arch and I found, menu here.  Open fires, nice soup, very fine cakes, tiled floors for the full 'cleats on hard surface clickety-clack' experience, reasonably big (although if we do end up with a fair few of us I might ring ahead), a nice warm porch where the muddier of the walkers had left their boots and clearly no objection to people wandering about in socks.  It's awfully nice, but they didn't seem perplexed at all by the number of people wearing lycra that were about.  Nice flexible opening times - serving from 10:30 til 4:00.

Twas a very nice tearooms.  Those cream scones! 

And a vintage Tour de France photo print framed on one wall.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
The rubber-band drive is in the frame for this.  And, by dint of you spilling the beans as to when Kim is getting to York, I can continue my stalking of her happen to meet up on the same train, as it calls at Derby on its exodus from Mordor Central.

The last time we were on the same train, we loaded and unloaded the bikes through the space where the windows would have been. ::-)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Crosscountry dangly bike spaces are practically the same thing...

I'm confused.  Are we, or are we not, including this descent in the route?  Seems a shame not to, assuming the gravel has settled down since the last time I was there.

CrinklyLion

Assuming that we don't have to abandon hills, yes.  Through Bishop Wilton, along to Davison's Farm (which isn't Davison's any more, not that it would mean anything to anybody else anyway) which now has a caravan site and is where Bishop Wilton show is, then left and up Givendale Lane to Great Givendale.  A brief pause whislt you wait for me, then down Grimthorpe, past the stinky chicken farm and "wheeeeeeeee" down the hill (bit gravelly on the left but even I'm happy to hit 35mph on it) past the chevron and Deano's red arrow on the map to the junction, where we'd have to stop anyway because of the temporary traffic lights.  Left, then straight on at the fork (where I have to remember to engage granny ring early for the short but surprisingly vertical bit) then on to Millington village for a nice cup of tea.  Or not_tea, in Kim's case. 

Arch and I were reviewing descents, and we decided that Grimthorpe is pretty good, although the lights and the turn stop it being a 10/10 at the moment.  The zig zag down into the pastures gets extra points for the roller-coaster adrenaline rush.  Huggate down to Warter is bloody lovely although watch out for the 2 enormous potholes that mean you MUST take the centre of the road, never mind the lane, and be aware that there's a T junction and a stop line at the bottom.  Kilnwick Percy goes on forever, has decent sightlines, you can roll on through Pock without having to stop and it makes the short bastard climbs out of Warter fade in the memory almost instantly and almost entirely.  But they're all just figments of your imagination....

tiptop

Hi Crinkly Lion, oooh .. cake and pub stops? Sounds too good to miss, count me in (if you have enough cake?)   :)

Arch and I were reviewing descents, and we decided that Grimthorpe is pretty good, although the lights and the turn stop it being a 10/10 at the moment.  The zig zag down into the pastures gets extra points for the roller-coaster adrenaline rush.  Huggate down to Warter is bloody lovely although watch out for the 2 enormous potholes that mean you MUST take the centre of the road, never mind the lane, and be aware that there's a T junction and a stop line at the bottom.  Kilnwick Percy goes on forever, has decent sightlines, you can roll on through Pock without having to stop and it makes the short bastard climbs out of Warter fade in the memory almost instantly and almost entirely.  But they're all just figments of your imagination....

A very good precis.  I found the Millington descent a bit much, with the hairpins, and by bad luck, traffic.  And I had a memory malfuntion between Huggate and Warter, and then from Warter onwards where I couldn't remember if it was the same route as the Big G sportive.  The 12% Right Bastard Optical Illusion confirmed that it was, but I'd edited a mile or so of road from my memory along the way, very odd.  But the descent after the 12% Right Bastard Optical Illusion...  ;D That's why I have a trike.

I was very glad my track is as narrow as it was though - if I'd miscalulated going between those potholes, and dropped a wheel into either or both, I'd have grounded, I reckon!

CrinklyLion

Hi Crinkly Lion, oooh .. cake and pub stops? Sounds too good to miss, count me in (if you have enough cake?)   :)

I think I can probably muster up a sufficiency  ;D

I found the Millington descent a bit much, with the hairpins, and by bad luck, traffic.
Whereas I had no traffic, and found that it reconnected me admirably with my inner, less risk-averse, teenager :)

But the descent after the 12% Right Bastard Optical Illusion...  ;D That's why I have a trike.
S'good, innit?  I don't know if I've ridden down that before or not - I've been up it, which involved extensive use of the 24" gear.  That's the way we used to go in our teens to sit on a hill and drink cheap cider.

I was very glad my track is as narrow as it was though - if I'd miscalulated going between those potholes, and dropped a wheel into either or both, I'd have grounded, I reckon!
It was quite impressive to see the way that your rear wheels cleared them with just an inch or two to spare!

It was quite impressive to see the way that your rear wheels cleared them with just an inch or two to spare!

<pssst>  front wheels!

CrinklyLion

D'oh! Shouldn't do forum-ing whilst distracted with boys, bathtimes, and box set dvds!

clarion

• Tyke
She may have been travelling backwards at the time ;)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
IRTA "backwards in time".  Can a Catrike do 88mph?   ;D

clarion

• Tyke
I'm sure it can. ;)
Getting there...