Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 282300 times)

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #50 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:34:59 am »
Not entirely. Don't forget there is a fairly hefty federal investigation into USPS on the go. If that fails then the whole issue will slowly fade into obscurity along with Armstrong.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:37:05 am »
Book or no, I would trust Hamilton a lot more than Landis, who just has an ability to talk endless bollocks on a variety of subjects.  Hamilton is a different kettle of fish, and is pretty definite about what he's seen (and done).
Getting there...

« Reply #52 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:50:03 am »
Strange that because I have the exact opposite impression. To me Landis's motives seem a little purer. Particularly as he is prepared to face legal action over his allegations concerning UCI complicity in covering up positive tests. Have you seen the emails he has been sending claiming to be his own lawyer 'Grey Manrod'? They are a good read

« Reply #53 on: 20 May, 2011, 11:04:08 am »
Book or no, I would trust Hamilton a lot more than Landis, who just has an ability to talk endless bollocks on a variety of subjects.  Hamilton is a different kettle of fish, and is pretty definite about what he's seen (and done).

I can only agree  ;D ;D ;D ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 20 May, 2011, 11:08:34 am »
Landis has always struck me as rather dim, and a bit of a pathetic figure.
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #55 on: 20 May, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »
Short clip of Tyler's interview.

I can't honestly draw any conclusions from this, but he doesn't sound too sure of himself to me.

« Reply #56 on: 20 May, 2011, 01:11:40 pm »
Short clip of Tyler's interview.

I can't honestly draw any conclusions from this, but he doesn't sound too sure of himself to me.

He does come across very strangely there! Scared? Lying?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #57 on: 20 May, 2011, 01:23:16 pm »
Unsure, afraid? Dunno, but there is the transcript at cyclingnews.com of an e-mail he sent to friends and relatives before the interview was broadcast.

*rummages for link*

Tyler Hamilton's Letter Of Confession | Cyclingnews.com
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 20 May, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »
The letter reads quite straight to me.  I can understand anyone admitting their entire career has been built on lying and cheating might feel uncomfortable coming clean in an interview.  Especially when he knows that other people will be affected, and that he will thereby create a large number of enemies among US cycling fans.
Getting there...

« Reply #59 on: 20 May, 2011, 04:28:27 pm »
Tyler is jumping before he is pushed. He's testified against Larnce, and knows that in PR terms it looks best to own up now, rather than wait for the inevitable.

Maybe.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #60 on: 20 May, 2011, 06:47:24 pm »
Hamilton is pretty discredited, it doesn't really add anything to the weight of evidence against Lance. Until someone credible stands up and says what (presumably IMO) went on, then it will be just another one of those unprovable arguments. Even now it seems it's only the people who have been caught who have nothing to lose by speaking out, so it's gone to run and run for a while longer.

simonp

« Reply #61 on: 21 May, 2011, 12:42:13 am »

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #62 on: 21 May, 2011, 02:27:47 am »

Simonb

« Reply #63 on: 21 May, 2011, 07:14:15 am »
Is Hincapie discredited?

Report: Hincapie Tells Feds Armstrong Used Peds | WSLS 10

No he's not, it's getting more interesting.

You bet. Hincapie and Armstrong are were practically joined at the hip.

« Reply #64 on: 21 May, 2011, 07:39:09 am »
If the reports of Hincapie spilling are true, then Armstrong is in deep doo doo. Hincapie is probably the most credible witness they could have other than Johann ( doubt he'll talk though ;D)  because their long and close relationship.  Hincapie cant be dissed as a previous cheat who is lying for personal gain either.

« Reply #65 on: 21 May, 2011, 07:49:36 am »
They are all credible.  It amazes me that people are sucked in by the Armstrong defence. Get busted, lie about it for a bit. Then tell the truth and say so did Lance. Does Lance believe that these guys are lying when they finally admitted to doping?

Of course, you wouldnt expect people to own up to drug use or to split on Armstrong unless they'd either already been busted or faced a possibility of a perjury charge for lying to a grand jury. This is what is happening now.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #66 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:11:07 am »
What goes on inside your head if you won by cheating...
It is simpler than it looks.

gonzo

« Reply #67 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:15:17 am »
My take is that he probably did, but he's now retired for good. Bust dopers who are still racing, stop hunting those who've finished. What good will it do?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #68 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:27:30 am »
My take is that he probably did, but he's now retired for good. Bust dopers who are still racing, stop hunting those who've finished. What good will it do?
The sport needs to send a strong message to those racing now and in the future that if you dope you will be found out and you will be punished, even if the evidence of your doing so only emerges long after you've retired.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #69 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:30:30 am »

You could say that about any crime, I suppose. Assuming LA was a mega-doper, would he still have done so if he thought that a year after retiring he would be facing prison?

gonzo

« Reply #70 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:43:12 am »
Good point. I suppose retrospective testing of all samples 25 years in the future and guaranteed jail time for anyone found guilty might persuade people to think twice. As it stands though, he was not warned that was going to happen thus the threat wouldn't stop him because it didn't exist.

Do you honestly think him doing jail time will worry most other doping pro-cyclists? No one will retrospectively test their samples because it's too expensive for your average domestique.

I personally can't see this bringing any real benefit to the world of cycling.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #71 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:53:15 am »
Let's be clear on this - he has gained many millions of dollars from his cycling wins.  If he cheated to gain those wins he's gained that money by fraud.  Of course he should be punished.
Aero but not dynamic

simonp

« Reply #72 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:57:30 am »
And cycling *needs* to do this. It's not about the past, it's about the future.

gonzo

« Reply #73 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:02:06 am »
What benefit do you see coming from this?

« Reply #74 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:02:08 am »

You could say that about any crime, I suppose. Assuming LA was a mega-doper, would he still have done so if he thought that a year after retiring he would be facing prison?

And cycling destroyed forever  :(