Author Topic: Getting 3-phase power  (Read 4880 times)

border-rider

Re: Getting 3-phase power
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2008, 06:20:11 pm »
I'm making the rash assumption that something that looks like a small gray dustbin with big insulator thingies on top is in fact a transformer. 

If it has 2 insulators on top, it's a single-phase transformer.  I just went for a wander, and we also have one of those, serving a different bit of the farm.  2 overhead wires in, three conductors out.

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:50:28 am »
I sense we have a thread full of people who drooled over Fred Dibnah's self-built steam workshop here.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #27 on: 05 July, 2008, 11:44:24 am »

I sense we have a thread full of people who drooled over Fred Dibnah's self-built steam workshop here.

rats! spotted!
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #28 on: 05 July, 2008, 04:15:54 pm »
A diesel genny all the way. The power companies would charge an arm and a leg, not just for the power but also the installations outlay.

I'd recommend a HushGen made by I think it's FG Wilson. Very reliable, quiet (almost silent) and seems quite efficient too. A lotta metal for the money, last time I brought one (2006) t'was £2.5k for an ex-rental, fully serviced and maintained and re-engined in 2003, so practically brand new where it mattered for a 30kVA 120amp (40a/phase) beastie.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2008, 07:33:37 pm »
Move to France.  EDF came to provide me with a supply, assumed my unconverted barn would be used for industrial purposes and provided 3-phase cabling, all-in cost €1000.  My near neighbour is 3-phase all the way and is moaning because his water heaters is knackered and 3-phase are a lot dearer than 2-phase.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:32:05 am »
FiL has 3-phase. He just asked for it when the house was connected to the mains. But that was 1975, and he's an electrician by profession (or should that be trade?). There's a separate meter, but no horrendous extra charges. But that's in Poland.

He's talking of moving, so you could save a bunch in installation and power charges, not to mention the asking price of the house, but your commute might take a bit longer.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rae

« Reply #31 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:44:45 am »
Hmmm.  Poland.   That is indeed quite a hike to work, but at least you have proper winters there!