Author Topic: Griffin Survivor vs Otterbox Defender for iPad2  (Read 3005 times)

Griffin Survivor vs Otterbox Defender for iPad2
« on: 15 September, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »
Des anyone have a comparrison for either? Just got an iPad2 and I'm after some good protection for it. Ive seen a few reviews online and some say the Griffin is better. Others seem to just go on about the Otterbox.
Can anyone give me some advice on any? I've already looked on YouTube and theres a mix of opinions. I've already had a play with Otterbox stuff before but some have said the Otterbox for the iPad isn't up to their usual standard.
If anyone has another cover that gives protection against knocks then it would be nice to hear which one you got.

Cheers

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Re: Griffin Survivor vs Otterbox Defender for iPad2
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2011, 02:18:20 am »
I've been researching cases for a planned iPad purchase. An awful lot of reviews on the US website for Amazon.com say just what you said, the Otterbox Defender case for the iPad 2 just is not up to the usual standard for Otterbox products.

AndyK

« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2011, 07:48:58 am »
I have a Griffin Survivor case on my iPhone 4. It really is almost indestructible (in normal use). On an iPad there would be a much larger screen area, so that would be more vulnerable than the iPhone version.
On the whole though, the Griffin is the best case I've ever owned for protection from drops, rain showers etc. The Griffin is not submersible however (well, it is, but the water will get to your iPhone/iPad and destroy it).

Here's a pretty good comparison review of Otterbox vs Griffin.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IroEngPTqh0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IroEngPTqh0&rel=1</a>

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »
That is the one I looked at online. That has swayed me towards the Griffin survivor so I have one of those on order. I didn't know how good the screen protector was, if it would effect the way the touch screen is slightly but apparently it doesn't. The Otterbox uses a self adhesive thing instead which I thought would be better.
No idea what is up with Otterbox with the case for the iPad, I always thought that they were near the top with protective cases.
Cheers all

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2011, 07:02:46 pm »
I;ve a Griffin  on my Iphone and the screen protector is actually very impressive. It doesnt affect the useability of  the touch screen at all. It has a slightly different feel, but works very very well.

« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2011, 06:43:17 pm »
I have used Otterboxes in various forms for many years.

So I use the Defender an  it is fine for carrying the Ipad in panniers, bags and rucksacks.

The only downside is the bulk.

Generally for day to day use I have a Duragadget / smart cover in a neoprene case, and then use the Defender for touring

« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:47:10 am »
Well I went and got the Griffin today. I like it. Its a nice case, the rubber does feel like a good sturdy rubber and the screen isn't really effected by the front cover. It does feel like it will stand up against some knocks. It also feels better in the hand for it. The iPad seems s thin that a times I was worried I was going to drop it or lose it from my fingers.
It also didn't take long to fit.