Author Topic: Location recorders  (Read 1242 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Location recorders
« on: 30 July, 2008, 08:26:32 pm »
I do a lot of voluntary work for a community radio station and we are using more and more pre-recorded material, including interviews and live music.  I've been using a Nagra reel-to-reel, but the weight, cost of batteries and shortness of recording time per tape are persuading me to look at something digital.  I've got a minidisc which is fine for speech, but the compression ruins music - especially classical.  I've borrowed a Marantz PMD 660 which records at high quality, but the menus are very fiddly, and they're not cheap. 

I'me being tempted towards DAT which, although getting rare, is good quality.  Has anybody got any experience of using DAT - I like the look of the HHB Portadat - and does anyone know where I might get hold of one (I've tried Ebay).  I really need to sell or exchange the Nagra as I'm currently out of work and skint.

Thanks for your help,

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Location recorders
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:35:34 pm »

diapsaon0

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:41:15 pm »
Possibly ........... like the Marantz I borrowed last weekend to record an organ recital, this will accept external mics and/or line level inputs.  My thought was that, as I'm currently skint, DAT might be cheaper.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:46:04 pm »
What is your budget - loads more at

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:55:28 pm »
You might be able to find a second-hand portable DAT recorder, as people seem to be slowly getting rid of them at the moment. The problems are whether they're in good condition (an old machine might have well worn heads), and whether you'll be able to get hold of blank tapes for a reasonable price for the forseeable future.

We're gradually phasing out our use of DAT recorders, mainly by replacing them with alternative formats as the mechanisms die one by one. We've gone for CD recorders in the studios, and Tascam portable recorders (these).

Depending on what features you need, the Sony PCM D50 seems to be quite good - a colleague has one and he likes it as it has built-in mics and is fairly easy to use.

diapsaon0

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2008, 09:19:59 pm »
There are some good machines on both those sites - some of which are new to me.  I suppose, realistically, that I've got to bite the bullet and go for solid state.  I'm trying to sell the Nagra IV-L for £300 including all the accessories. At the moment, I'm asking around for a local buyer, but will probably end up using Ebay.  I'll be looking for a new machine for about that price - which is why I was thinking second-hand.  I definitely want XLR mic inputs, would like phantom power, don't need internal mics, and it must be solid and intuitive to use (that's why I liked the Nagra).  ???

Thanks for your advice  - I'll flog the Nagra first and see what I can afford.  At the moment, if I forget DAT, then the Marantz is probably still in front.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2008, 09:42:06 pm »
Last year I finally got something to replace my Walkman Pro; an Edirol R-09:
Edirol R-09, which has been discontinued and  replaced by Edirol R-09HR Edirol R-09HR

I've used it to record concerts, rehearsals etc, and the sound is brilliant. I've only used the in-built mic so far, but it only has a single stereo 3.5mm input, so maybe not what you're looking for.