Author Topic: Where can I get like a retracting rod?  (Read 1472 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Where can I get like a retracting rod?
« on: 06 August, 2008, 01:23:22 am »
I'm after something a bit like a giant car aerial or a boom pole if you're aquatinted with the media world, fully retracted it should be about 30cm tall and about a 4cm circumference max. Fully extended it should be about 150cm. Ideally made out of a lightweight material such as glass fibre or carbon fibre with twist lock compression type systems at each joint to stop it retracting into itself. The ones in the media world are 100cm > 800cm and about 5cm so a ratio of 8x for extension and they are extremely sturdy fully extended. So my poles of so 30cm > 150cm with a ratio of 5x with a 4cm circumference should work fine.

I've got an idea for a tent extension/gazebo for me tent. The top is a completely waterproof lightweight breathable material so the wind *shouldn't* try to take off with it, and a side panel can be made from a similar but non breathable material with a folded/pocketed design so that any side winds would be dispersed off without giving the person behind it a breeze?

The whole thing should fit into a box approx 30x10x5cm..

Whatcha think and where can I get the rods?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Where can I get like a retracting rod?
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2008, 07:05:53 am »
Why not use tent poles?

Buy online Tent Spares

Look under "discontinued and used" and you will see Solar Minor pole at £20.  They are a bit longer than 30cm folded, closer to 40 and are probably 4cm or less in folded diameter.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2008, 08:12:16 am »
How about telescopic flagpoles, a quick google threw up some on ebay etc but they are a lot longer than you want, when collapsed (115cm), but a further search may find what you want.

Blame having my view blocked at too many concerts for the inspiration...:)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2008, 08:18:51 am »
Funnily enough, I was browsing some Carbon fibre suppliers this morning.  FibreTech do a variety of carbon fibre tube and poles.
Twist lock fittings similar to booms/fish poles can be found in walking/trekking poles too, or how about fishing net handles such as this one?  That's too long for your design, but you might be able to obtain/use spares. 

Tent poles with shockcord would probably be ideal.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rae

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:02:19 am »
Camera monopod?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:20:19 am »
Walking pole.  Cheap and cheerful.  Alu, twist lock, might not get quite long enough.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:34:34 am »
+1 forcarbon monopod - sounds like my Feisol 1401. 

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2008, 02:15:11 pm »
A camera monopod would normally only be 3 or 4 sections, so may not make the 30cm -> 150cm target size range. You'll also get a better choice in aluminium rather than carbon.
It's worth looking for compact/travel  monopods...
eg
DealTime.co.uk - Find, Compare, and Buy Anything in Seconds    42-153cm ally
Manfrotto Mag Fiber 695 Monopod : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk 46-160cm carbon
Manfrotto 790B MODO MonoPod £20.99 - MyMemory 39-145 ally

Similarly walking poles are normally 3 section, so anything long enough would be more like 60cm compacted.

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2008, 03:43:36 pm »
My first thoughts were telescopic fishing rod. They used to sell them in Poundland, coz I considered getting on as a flagpole for the recumbent.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2008, 05:33:25 pm »
I did think about fishing apparatus and tent poles, but neither seemed than sturdy nor folded down so small. I have several monopods and did thing of using them but they are too long when retracted. Mine went down to 60cm.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium