Author Topic: Sleeping bags...  (Read 1825 times)

Treewheeler

Sleeping bags...
« on: 30 August, 2008, 12:19:06 pm »
Question for the world travelers amoungst you...
 I shall be in New Zealand, camping from their Spring through to Autumn or October to March.
I shall start with the Northlands of the North Island (warmest bit) and work down.
 Question is...
Is a 2 season down bag with silk liner enough for the climate...?
Got a Prolite 4 Thermarest and a good tent.

gordon taylor

Re: Sleeping bags...
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2008, 12:56:36 pm »
Yes! I say that because I used a down bag this year and was amazed at the difference it makes compared to synthetic alternatives. Down and silk - what could be better? You'll be fine.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »
Make sure you air the bag out in the morning.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2008, 02:23:34 pm »
You'll probably be OK but people are very different in their need for insulation. Tuggo and Gordy are not of similar build though.
I need much more insulation at night than my boyfriend.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2008, 04:08:47 pm »
Check out the Mountain Equipment Sleepwalker bags.

The elasitcated middle section looks (and sounds) a bit wierd but trust me it makes for a supremely comforatble bag.  I like to have the option to sleep on my front with a knee sticking out, these bags allow for just that.  You can also sit cross-legged in it whilst cooking.

I just don't like being restricted by normal mummy-bags.

Treewheeler

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:06:55 pm »
These seem rather good value...

- Alpkit Shop

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:14:15 pm »
These seem rather good value...

- Alpkit Shop

I've had one of their bags (a pipedream 400 FWIW) for about a year now and am very impressed. Recommended.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

gordon taylor

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:15:10 pm »
I got a basic Alpkit down bag, I can't recommend it highly enough.

« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2008, 07:07:25 pm »
As a number of people have said, different people require different amounts of insulation. A silk liner will add a fair bit of warmth to any bag and keep the bag clean, greatly extending the life of the bag and simplifying the cleaning process. Bring a wool cap for the occasional extra cold night.

Construction of the bag and quality of the down is at least as important as temperature and fill power ratings. Cheaper bags have sewn through baffles to stop the down from shifting around. The down doesn't shift, but each seam creates a cold spot. Better bags have box or tube shaped baffles to eliminate the seams and cold spots. Even better bags have "slant tube" baffles, with the tubes shaped like parallelograms so that body heat won't escape straight up the sides of the baffles. The best bags use slant tube construction with a differential cut construction, in which the inner layer of fabric is smaller than the outer layer, helping the baffles retain their shape and keeping the down lofted. Each of these steps is more labor and material intensive than the last, driving up the price of the bag substantially.

Down quality is the other variable, the best down comes from mature birds that have lived outside in the cold for a few years. Cheaper down comes from goslings. Think of fill power ratings and temperature ratings as a way to compare bags from the same maker, but don't expect standards to be too uniform across the industry.

I've found Marmot to make excellent bags (and lots of other stuff), and I've heard very good things about Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. I don't know widely available or competitively priced these names are outside the US, though.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #9 on: 30 August, 2008, 07:56:25 pm »

I've found Marmot to make excellent bags (and lots of other stuff), and I've heard very good things about Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. I don't know widely available or competitively priced these names are outside the US, though.

I've got a western mountaineering bag, it's bloody pricy, but the best bag I've ever had. I can only recommend them.

If you are concerned about freezing in the bag, try look at a fleece liner, it will give 5-7oC extra comfort.

Wear a warm beanie a pair of night socks and put a very well sealed hot water bottle in the bag a couple of hours before you go to sleep and you will be in heaven.
The water bottle trick are really good in extreme cold that means you have one bottle without
ice init.

Treewheeler

« Reply #10 on: 30 August, 2008, 08:06:41 pm »
Ackershally... ::-)
 I was going to go down the hot water bottle route if it proved too chilly for comfort.
 Assuming they sell them of course...
 ;)