Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 468686 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1550 on: 09 May, 2017, 08:05:28 pm »
I cannot better the advice above but can offer sympathy for the anxiety this must cause.
Wishing  you well...

« Reply #1551 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:55:42 am »
Thanks Chris and Helly.  My previous surgery was with Chris's colleague Mr Timothy Cresswell at the Pulvertaft Hand Centre in Royal Derby Hospital, but even he couldn't guarantee that marginal excision of the (benign) tendon-sheath GCT wouldn't lead to re-occurrence.  It having come back where it has, I'm not terrifically optimistic that it'll work for the index and middle fingers...  That said, it's nowhere near as bad yet as the discomfort I had 5 years ago, so I think I'll just keep a watching brief.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1552 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:17:13 am »
How significant are use by dates on aspirin? I've discovered a largeish stash of aspirin at the back of the cupboard, all with use by dates in 2015 and 2011.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1553 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:45:06 am »
I have an endoscopy this afternoon and I'm terrified! Never had one before but, as a student nurse, i was present at a few. The panic most of the ones I observed is what's scaring me. I'm trying had to stop myself from making excuses and blobbing out of it.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #1554 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:56:01 am »
I've had two.

The 'panic' is a reflexive thing. They do numb your throat a bit so that there really isn't much discomfort and no pain, the panic just comes from the body telling the brain that there is a problem.

It is a bit like being under water, your body saying you are running out of air and need to breath, and your brain saying "no way, I'm under water, don't breath".

Do you have difficulty breathing through your nose? If you do, tell them. It is possible to breath around the endoscope through your mouth, but easier through your nose.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1555 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:49:06 pm »
How significant are use by dates on aspirin? I've discovered a largeish stash of aspirin at the back of the cupboard, all with use by dates in 2015 and 2011.

Effervescent is more likely to 'go off' than enteric coated as the 'fizz' component is more labile.

Personally, I ignore dates on solid medication but professionally, I couldn't possibly comment...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1556 on: 10 May, 2017, 01:24:07 pm »
I have an endoscopy this afternoon and I'm terrified! Never had one before but, as a student nurse, i was present at a few. The panic most of the ones I observed is what's scaring me. I'm trying had to stop myself from making excuses and blobbing out of it.

I've had three, the first two without anaesthetic and the last one with.  First one I managed to stay calm, second one I twitched just once, which made the nurse (spare-time female bouncer judging by her face and muscles) grab me in a grip of iron and press me down to the couch - not really necessary.  Third one was almost pleasant but I had to stay in bed until they were sure the anaesthetic wasn't going to have any after-effects.  It did: an 80€ non-reimbursable bill for the anaesthetist.

Chum of mine had one some years ago.  Having never done biology at school, he thought the probe would go down far enough to reach into the intestine and then be withdrawn covered in shit. He was quite worried about that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1557 on: 11 May, 2017, 01:32:53 pm »
Well it appears that the way to get past the guard dragon at the doctors when she asks 'Is it really an emergency? What's the matter?' is to tell her, in very graphic detail. Not sure she believed me since I was stood their in my lycra but I did get the first appointment of the day.

Then the doc gave me rather nice steroid/anaesthetic cream* and expressed amazement I could walk let alone ride a bike.

*yeah - the embarrassing health problem thread is thataway --->

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1558 on: 11 May, 2017, 02:41:37 pm »
I see the NHS is spending BIG money on BIG ambulances for BIG people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39859428

Jut THREE BIG ambulances for ALL of London?!?! I know POBI is elsewhere but this seems so few they're hardly worth counting!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1559 on: 11 May, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »
Bariatric ambulances are specially-designed and equipped in response to a 10-fold spike in hospital visits linked to obesity in the past decade.
It's hardly a spike; that implies it will come down again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1560 on: 11 May, 2017, 02:57:29 pm »
Bariatric ambulances are specially-designed and equipped in response to a 10-fold spike in hospital visits linked to obesity in the past decade.

Given sufficient lack of hospitals...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1561 on: 11 May, 2017, 03:07:27 pm »

Given sufficient lack of hospitals...
I think obesity is at least partly a mental health issue (on a societal level, not in each individual case) and we don't seem to be making much progress on that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1562 on: 11 May, 2017, 03:41:12 pm »
I read today that the gluten-free campaign/craze/fad/meme** is leading to a rise in obesity. Missus mentioned that a lot of the gluten-free stuff is high-GI.

**10% cases clinical necessity & 90% marketing-boosted faddery (est. T42)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1563 on: 11 May, 2017, 03:49:44 pm »
I read that gluten-free manufactured food isn't particularly healthy for non-coeliacs.
Too much marketing is bad for your hwealth

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1564 on: 11 May, 2017, 03:55:14 pm »
I noticed in tescos this morning that the Old Speckled Hen range now includes a gluten free variant.  After my experience when I accidentally bought a gluten free sandwich  :sick: , I'll not be trying it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1565 on: 11 May, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »
I'm not a beer drinker but venture to say that in general, some 'Free-From' things are fine and some are  :sick: The only way to know is to suck/taste and see.

One yucky sandwich is a very different kettle to a beer.

You need only read the threads on milk to see how these things vary.

« Reply #1566 on: 11 May, 2017, 04:27:55 pm »
Indeed. Some 'free from' breads are like particularly tasteless cardboard. Some are almost indistinguishable from good 'ordinary' bread.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1567 on: 11 May, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »
I see the NHS is spending BIG money on BIG ambulances for BIG people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39859428

Jut THREE BIG ambulances for ALL of London?!?! I know POBI is elsewhere but this seems so few they're hardly worth counting!

Three big ambulances plus a third party provider, whereas the other locations make no mention of a third party provider. The ambulances in London are also capable of handling significantly heavier patients than ambulances elsewhere. Even in the US or the UK, how many people weigh 444 kg/70 stone/980 pounds?

« Reply #1568 on: 11 May, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »
Future proofing

« Reply #1569 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »
Indeed. Some 'free from' breads are like particularly tasteless cardboard. Some are almost indistinguishable from good 'ordinary' bread.
Really?  I've not found any freefrom bread that isn't improved significantly by being toasted (my wife is coeliac, so we have a gluten free house (aside from beer, because up to now I've found most gf beer terrible)).
GF foods that work are those that don't need to rise - brownies, pancakes, etc. Anything that should be light and fluffy just isn't (gf croissants are astonishingly bad).

« Reply #1570 on: 12 May, 2017, 02:34:15 pm »
Really?  I've not found any freefrom bread that isn't improved significantly by being toasted (my wife is coeliac, so we have a gluten free house (aside from beer, because up to now I've found most gf beer terrible)).
GF foods that work are those that don't need to rise - brownies, pancakes, etc. Anything that should be light and fluffy just isn't (gf croissants are astonishingly bad).
Tescos own brand breads are about the best of the breads - they have started doing (in some stores) occasionally a 'cob' loaf that is exceptional. Really good crust and texture.
The Warburtons flatbreads are ok.
Dr Schar brown bread rolls are ok.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1571 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:23:55 pm »
After going ten rounds with Mike Tyson having two rear teeth (left & right) sinus lift & dental implants carried out today, apart from feeling sorry for myself at the moment, the dentist has sworn me off cycling for three weeks :( (or any strenuous exercise)

He's also put me on a prophylactic (less siniggering you lot in the US) course of 1g Amoxicillin 3 times a day for 7 days. Normal UK dose being 500mg, but he's from Germany, and told me the one thing I really mustn't do is blow my nose. I assume that's all to do with the sinus surgery, and I'm inclined to follow his advice, just because. But three weeks? Anyone done similar?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1572 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:27:27 pm »
Anyone done similar?

Paging barakta.  Barakta to the snot-coated cybernetic courtesy phone please...

That's a proper does of Amoxil, that is.  Expect to spend some quality time on the toilet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1573 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »
AIUI, blowing your nose could create a passage between your dental 'root' / abutment/whatever and your nasal sinus, which would be a MAJOR problem to seal.

SO DON'T!

You can wipe and pick your nose though.

Sneezing is more problematic and less predictable; try to avoid it if at all possible! I know this is difficult in the real world, but maybe avoiding pepper, pollen and dust is possible.

Mend well and fast.

A gram of Amoxil doesn't really trouble me. I hope you're as lucky!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1574 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:49:07 pm »
Sneezing is more problematic and less predictable; try to avoid it if at all possible! I know this is difficult in the real world, but maybe avoiding pepper, pollen and dust is possible.

I'd suggest attempting to convert any unavoidable sneeze into a noisy sputum-spewing cough, hopefully keeping the pressure low and the nose out of the equation as far as possible.

I did something similar to minimise diaphragm movement while hospitalised with digestive nastiness.  It reduced the pain, but I've been unable to sneeze quietly since.