Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 468618 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1600 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:03:45 am »
I think the big issue is that many parents don't/can't/won't see their kids as being overweight even when presented with the evidence.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1601 on: 18 May, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »
I'm never quite sure what is the correct protocol regarding clothing for a physiotherapy/sports massage...

I would have no qualms, in principle, about being completely naked during treatment but it doesn't seem to be the done thing (T-shirt and pants seems to be the norm). However, this does mean it feels slightly awkward when the therapist has to pull your pants down to work on your glutes.

Sometimes you have to remind yourself that the therapist's interest in your body is purely mechanical.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1602 on: 18 May, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »
It is customary to wear clothing outside a treatment room anyway. I know 'gym' means 'naked' but...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1603 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:12:25 pm »
It is customary to wear clothing outside a treatment room anyway. I know 'gym' means 'naked' but...

Er... post edited to make it sound less like I meant being naked on the way to the treatment.  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1604 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:16:53 pm »
How many ECG do you have till you have a normal one?

I know that it is a 10sec snap shot but finally have a normal ecg now.

IJL

« Reply #1605 on: 18 May, 2017, 05:52:54 pm »
Is that normal in the view of a human or the ECG machine.  It an odd idea to keep recording ECG's until you get one you like the look of.  A 24hr ECG might be more useful

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1606 on: 19 May, 2017, 12:11:58 pm »
PLEASE CHECK ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS OF PUBLIC DEFIBRILLATORS!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39973937

Chris S

« Reply #1607 on: 19 May, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »
I went to the GP this week.

8:15am - Me: "Hello, can I make an appointment to see a doctor please?"
8:15am - Receptionist: "Can you get here for 9?"
8:15am - Me - "Oh. Erm. Yes"
8:16am - Receptionist: "Great - what's your name?"

../..

What service!

I got to see a GP I've not met before. She looked about 15 - a sure sign I'm getting old. And yet...

Doc (studying my on-screen notes): "Oh my goodness, it says your almost 60. No way do you look that age!"
Me: "Erm. Thanks - I chose my parents carefully."

Anyway. She booked me in for a full MOT, prescribed a wheelbarrow-load of stuff, and (re)diagnosed "Exercise induced asthma; probably antagonised by hay-fever".

I love the NHS  :thumbsup:.

Don't vote Tory, folks  :hand:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1608 on: 19 May, 2017, 06:40:16 pm »
I think the road rash on my arm is within an hour or two of becoming crusty enough to wear a jumper without getting stuck to it.   :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #1609 on: 19 May, 2017, 06:44:31 pm »
I think the road rash on my arm is within an hour or two of becoming crusty enough to wear a jumper without getting stuck to it.   :thumbsup:

We're waiting for that inevitable moment.

* pick pick pick * Ow Ow Ow!! - Too soon!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1610 on: 19 May, 2017, 06:52:46 pm »
Too soon for the arse.  It's taken longer to heal on account of the necessity of more dressing changes and less opportunity to dry out.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1611 on: 19 May, 2017, 07:21:25 pm »
*forms orderly queue to pick scabs off Kim's arse*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1612 on: 20 May, 2017, 01:16:28 pm »
I failed my glaucoma test at opticians. Took extended test.
failed.
suggested I take test without 'computer/reading' glasses, as they are optimised for sight about 60cm away.
passed.
Phew!
New glasses will be about £500 . . .

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1613 on: 22 May, 2017, 01:12:02 pm »
My left thumb is sore again, and I've no idea why (this time). And it's a critical location for riding my bike. :(
I've had flare-ups occasionally for the last ~15 years since I did some serious damage to my ulnar collateral ligament playing sport (I've the same on my right thumb but that side is a little sturdier). Usually though, I know what I've done to cause it - this week I've not got a clue! I noticed it Tuesday evening, and I've not done anything unusual with it (last time on the bike was Sunday). In the past, the doctor has just said to stop doing whatever hurts it (helpful). I taped it and put voltarol gel on it - will have to see how it feels this evening.
Bah.  So the tape and the voltarol was OK ish. Rode my bike on Saturday with a brace on it - it hurt a bit but that might have been the brace pressing oddly as I leaned on it. Then did "swimming" with my daughter yesterday (mostly helping her teach herself to swim (I have learned my lesson and let her do it her way!)). Today the thumb is really bloody sore and I have put the brace on so I don't prang it by accident. :(
Either it's riding my bike, or it's "swimming", or it's both. I don't want to stop either of them.  :(
I've set up a Turbo in my garage, so I might try riding that on Wednesday - aero bars should mean that I don't put any pressure on the thumb, in the meantime I'll just have to brace it and use the gel and hope it sorts itself out soon.  :-\

« Reply #1614 on: 24 May, 2017, 02:28:03 pm »
I went to the GP this week.

8:15am - Me: "Hello, can I make an appointment to see a doctor please?"
8:15am - Receptionist: "Can you get here for 9?"
8:15am - Me - "Oh. Erm. Yes"
8:16am - Receptionist: "Great - what's your name?"

../..

What service!

I got to see a GP I've not met before. She looked about 15 - a sure sign I'm getting old. And yet...

Doc (studying my on-screen notes): "Oh my goodness, it says your almost 60. No way do you look that age!"
Me: "Erm. Thanks - I chose my parents carefully."

Anyway. She booked me in for a full MOT, prescribed a wheelbarrow-load of stuff, and (re)diagnosed "Exercise induced asthma; probably antagonised by hay-fever".

I love the NHS  :thumbsup:.

Don't vote Tory, folks  :hand:

That's amazing Chris!! We can occasionally get to see ours on the day if it's an emergency. If not, it's either a 2-3 week wait, or, sometimes there 'are no available appointments to book' Like, you can't book ANYTHING, even for x weeks time!

When you are seriously unwell, the NHS Is awesome. (Although 3 weeks ago I did wait 80 minutes for an ambulance which isn't ideal) but I do understand why people get so fed up with trying to get appointments. I genuinely don't know what the answer is though. All surgeries near me have the same problem. I'm also having some tests done next week, and my first available appointment to get the results from the consultant is 10TH NOVEMBER 😱😱

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1615 on: 24 May, 2017, 03:40:50 pm »
Today I learned (yet again) not to expect to enjoy a ride after taking metformin.  I seem to do this a couple of times a year: I have breakfast + meds then decide to have a ride.  It's rarely fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1616 on: 24 May, 2017, 07:48:48 pm »
 I genuinely don't know what the answer is though.

Maybe people could learn that good health is their responsibility. They then wouldn't need the GP or Hospital so much and there would be space for the rest of us.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1617 on: 25 May, 2017, 12:48:23 am »
My understanding is that a lot of people aren't "misusing" health services - they're genuinely being cut too much to function.

As for "personal responsibility" it's a lot more complex than "personal weaknesses".

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1618 on: 25 May, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »
My understanding is that a lot of people aren't "misusing" health services - they're genuinely being cut too much to function.

That I can believe. Much is being made here of cutting back on the number of people working in the public sector, but my son has been waiting almost a year for a certificate of nationality because the staff handling applications had been reduced to one person for a whole region, and she's so stressed she's frequently off work.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1619 on: 25 May, 2017, 01:59:55 pm »
"He didn't like this plan of making vanity do the work of charity; but the British public is not reasonable enough to bear direct taxation."

That's George Eliot in 1861 (paraphrased a little), its seems equally relevant today and to the French. 
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1620 on: 25 May, 2017, 03:43:17 pm »
Yup.  Macron wants to usher in PAYE.  The public doesn't really trust the bosses not to fiddle the deduction or to really pay the tax office the money they deduct.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1621 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
Today I learned (yet again) not to expect to enjoy a ride after taking metformin.  I seem to do this a couple of times a year: I have breakfast + meds then decide to have a ride.  It's rarely fun.

What's the issue with riding after Metformin? Genuine interest.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1622 on: 26 May, 2017, 08:14:47 am »
Metformin has three effects:

- makes muscles burn their reserves of glycogen
- depresses uptake of carbs from the gut
- depresses release of reserves from the liver

This is great if you're not exercising, because it mimics to some extent the effect of exercise.  But it's not what you need for cycling, in fact it's the opposite.  If I ride after taking the stuff, and in particular just after breakfast, my legs get sore faster and I lack oomph. No fun there.

In addition, since carb uptake is depressed, more sugars and starches remain in the intestine and are passed on down to Skid Row, where the symbiotic bacteria have a party. This results in the release of much more gas than usual, and in copious volumes of aerated faeces.  Taking extra carbs while riding so as to overcome the uptake depression enhances the effect.

Because it builds up in the body over time, my doc told me to drop the metformin a couple of days before long-distance events, but for normal rides I usually just skip it on the day.

« Reply #1623 on: 26 May, 2017, 08:40:51 am »
Sounds like it would be a good case for being on a ketosis diet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1624 on: 26 May, 2017, 11:37:08 am »
I know next to nothing about ketosis diets, except that they're hard to switch to.  Dunno how it would lie with the GP.

Also, one of the great benefits of cycling is that when I'm riding I can eat patisseries and ice cream.