Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2014 route  (Read 13554 times)

Re: Tour of Britain 2014 route
« Reply #25 on: 05 September, 2014, 01:13:37 pm »
Hmmm. Second thoughts.  I reckon we can catch it go through Haywards Heath and still have time to scoot south, head up one of the bostalls on the South Downs and then sneak in to the top of Ditchling Beacon from the side.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #26 on: 05 September, 2014, 01:47:44 pm »
I'm starting to think we need a semi-official Stage 6 YACF Corner...

Details are out...  http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage6/index.php#.U-tLiGOK3Ih

What chances to get on Chinnor Hill do you reckon?  Might just do the 10 min cycle to watch them go near here.

I'm planning on working from home, and will take a (long) late lunch and meander down (up?) to Chinnor Hill
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #27 on: 05 September, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »
Sadly even if I can get the day off, I think cycling over to Chinnor hill and back would be optimistic for me. If I go to see it, I'll probably end up looking for a good vantage point just south of Wantage.

« Reply #28 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:29:51 pm »
I'm starting to think we need a semi-official Stage 6 YACF Corner...

Details are out...  http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage6/index.php#.U-tLiGOK3Ih

What chances to get on Chinnor Hill do you reckon?  Might just do the 10 min cycle to watch them go near here.

I'm planning on working from home, and will take a (long) late lunch and meander down (up?) to Chinnor Hill

Enjoy Chinnor.  I wonder if the resident dogs will enjoy a good bark as part of the occasion.   :)   I'm going to cycle to the Upton area from work, at lunchtime. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 09 September, 2014, 11:28:04 am »
I am going to take the day off tomorrow and cycle to Clifton for the finish of the Worcester->Bristol stage. There is talk of bike parking provided - the site says information on this will be provided "shortly".

Does anyone know what the arrangements are, particularly where any temporary parking will be set up?

« Reply #30 on: 09 September, 2014, 11:49:06 am »
I'm taking Friday off and planning to watch somewhere.

On reflection, the best option for me will be to walk 1/2 a mile down the road and watch the race coming through the narrow bridge under the railway by Berkhamsted station and then pass round Berkhamsted castle.

simonp

« Reply #31 on: 09 September, 2014, 02:34:15 pm »
Bristol City Council replied promptly to my question on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/BristolCouncil/status/509324852269178880

So bike parking near the promo area at the finish. Who else is going?

« Reply #32 on: 10 September, 2014, 07:58:13 am »
I'm taking Friday off and planning to watch somewhere.

On reflection, the best option for me will be to walk 1/2 a mile down the road and watch the race coming through the narrow bridge under the railway by Berkhamsted station and then pass round Berkhamsted castle.

And I shall be on the Leighton Buzzard road watching the finish of Friday's stage. I note also from the warning signs on my way in to work that that section of road will be closed from Thursday evening until Saturday morning. That'll increase the traffic around my office!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 10 September, 2014, 02:29:29 pm »
I'm near the top of Bridge Valley Road in Bristol waiting for them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 10 September, 2014, 03:32:50 pm »
They went pretty much past my house, and I'm not there  :demon: :demon:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #35 on: 10 September, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »
A few of us were on the finish line, great atmosphere up there today, the race organisers are promoting the sport well.

Fair play to Wiggins and Sky, they were the last team/coach to leave the arrivee having done all the photo stuff.

« Reply #36 on: 10 September, 2014, 07:32:38 pm »
It's going through Horsham on Saturday but I won't be there to watch it.  I'll be driving the 22 bus from Dorking to Holmbury St Mary all day.  That's the way my year is going, days off never coincide with anything I want to do.

« Reply #37 on: 10 September, 2014, 08:05:23 pm »
They went pretty much past my house, and I'm not there  :demon: :demon:
We waited ages then a load all came along at once. It all happened a bit too quickly. Town looked lovely, mind ... maybe all the little knitted jerseys were a bit, ... oh never mind. Big turnout.

How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #38 on: 11 September, 2014, 10:23:04 pm »
Home from Germany, bike clean, kit sorted (YACF or Swindon RC? who am I kidding, YACF all the way), camera battery charging.

I can't decide where to head though - shall I head to Devizes for the first intermediate sprint, or towards what i think is the "climb" into Wantage?

« Reply #39 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:04:24 am »
Home from Germany, bike clean, kit sorted (YACF or Swindon RC? who am I kidding, YACF all the way), camera battery charging.

I can't decide where to head though - shall I head to Devizes for the first intermediate sprint, or towards what i think is the "climb" into Wantage?

Apparently intermediate sprints are rarely much to get excited about; I considered the one in Blewbury, but will give it a miss.  I thought about the 'climb' into Wantage, and AFAICS it's not much of a climb that will slow them down too much, but it may be OK.  My position nearby will see them appearing over the hill, and sweeping passed (quickly) - hopefully separating around a central island in road.  At least it's close to work.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #40 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:30:23 am »

Apparently intermediate sprints are rarely much to get excited about; I considered the one in Blewbury, but will give it a miss.  I thought about the 'climb' into Wantage, and AFAICS it's not much of a climb that will slow them down too much, but it may be OK.  My position nearby will see them appearing over the hill, and sweeping passed (quickly) - hopefully separating around a central island in road.  At least it's close to work.

Chain Hill it is, then  :thumbsup: Plus that means that I get an extra snooze in the morning!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #41 on: 12 September, 2014, 06:40:42 am »
I'll be somewhere up chain hill, work permitting.

Any idea what time they're expected? Think I saw 1 o'clock somewhere?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #42 on: 12 September, 2014, 07:08:00 am »

Sometime between 12:30 and 13:00, I think. There's an ETA PDF on the website.

PaulF

« Reply #43 on: 12 September, 2014, 10:16:46 am »

I was right! http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/files/documents/Stage_6_Bath_-_Hemel_Hempstead_ETA_v2.0.pdf

« Reply #44 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:10:03 am »
Hemel's finish line as a short stagger from my front door, I wandered down last night and this morning to take a nose.  It's a busy road and was spookily quiet last night.   I anticipate a long lunch before watching the finish.  (I am hoping that my son does not follow through on his threat to moon at the riders  :hand:)

PaulF

« Reply #45 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:11:09 am »

Sometime between 12:30 and 13:00, I think. There's an ETA PDF on the website.

Probably leave home about midday then, look out for a fatbike, that'll probably be me :-)

« Reply #46 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:56:20 am »
ToB website live reporting, with no map is pretty poor IMO.

PaulF

« Reply #47 on: 12 September, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »
And with a buzz of gears they were gone

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #48 on: 12 September, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »
Watching it on tele, not getting work done.  Get to watch the highlights if you can.,...  :o
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #49 on: 12 September, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »
Armed with just an iPhone rather than a proper camera, I figured that video was preferable to trying to take pictures:

http://youtu.be/reHPRR4moMk