Author Topic: Tandem Convert (Hopefully)  (Read 16615 times)

Re: Tandem Convert (Hopefully)
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2014, 12:55:06 pm »
Useful stoker skill:  Quietly and without comment, ease off the power as the captain drags the cadence away from your comfort point.  They'll soon learn to pedal at the right speed.   :D

(This sort of mismatch can be solved more permanently and efficiently by differential crank lengths.)

Thanks for the warning...   ;) 

« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2014, 01:09:24 pm »
The cadence problem is just a sign that one partner is an experienced cyclist, while the other is not.
After 2 or 3000 miles of happily riding together, the problem should disappear by itself!

We are also big fans of differential crank lengths, but this is due in our case to a great difference in leg lengths.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2014, 07:57:57 pm »
The cadence problem is just a sign that one partner is an experienced cyclist, while the other is not.

Not always, though it can be.  Plenty of experienced cyclists favour strange bikes without any gears, and tend to use relatively low cadences when climbing as a result.  Others prefer (or are forced to by Knees or similar) a more spinny pedalling style.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2014, 09:48:59 pm »
Butterfly and I have different styles.  I'm much more spinny than her, so on the tandem, she ups her cadence, and I have to grunt in higher gears than I would normally use.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:21:35 pm »
Butterfly and I have different styles.  I'm much more spinny than her, so on the tandem, she ups her cadence, and I have to grunt in higher gears than I would normally use.

Maybe it's a function of The Ride,  but we find it varies as to what we consider "OK" wrt cadence and gearing. Generally, we've found a norm that works. But in extremis, such as fatigue, our styles depart and a compromise is required. For example:

Me: <Selects a gear - I have all the controls>
FBoab: "Easier, Please"
Me: <Downshifts>

or, later in the ride when we tire at different rates:

Me: <Maintains a spinnier gear on a climb>
FBoab: "I can handle one harder"
Me: "Erm... you're on your own with that one - I'm spent"

The compromise of The Tandem is a constant ebb and flow of fortunes, capabilities and desires; and that's the rub. If you have an understanding and tolerance with each other, you'll handle it - if you don't... well... it'll be something of a shouting match.

We've only really had a couple of incidences where it got out of hand; one notable being when I was losing patience with the inability to select granny over some hilly terrain (Southern Uplands of Scotland). I kept trying, and Fboab lost it:

FBoab: "Stop. Stop now."
Me: <Stops>
Fboab: <Gets off the bike>
Me: <Rides on up the hill>
Me: <Stops and Waits further up the road>
FBoab: "Don't you ever ride off like that again."
Me: "Well, don't get off then."

Sigh. Not our finest moment. But we managed, and we got over it.

Someone said to us "Wherever your relationship is heading - the tandem will get you there faster."

« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:27:29 pm »
These are priceless
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:50:44 pm »
On the C&M Hilly 50:

Me: "Have you got any more gears?"
rower40: "Yes, but they're all bigger."

And of course, the sig refers to a particularly effective way of distracting your captain on a nightride...

Chris S

« Reply #32 on: 15 April, 2014, 07:23:37 am »
ETA: Oh Oh Oh... I forgot. 7. If she gets off the tandem in a huff, don't - whatever you do - ride away on your own.  :facepalm:

Really?

Well, you were not actually riding, but walking. For the sake of honesty, I should add that we too walked along our tandem on this particular road.

:D

I think she went on ahead to buy us Ice Creams.

« Reply #33 on: 16 April, 2014, 12:44:38 pm »

Not always, though it can be.  Plenty of experienced cyclists favour strange bikes without any gears, and tend to use relatively low cadences when climbing as a result.  Others prefer (or are forced to by Knees or similar) a more spinny pedalling style.

Since I have never been a fan of fixed gears, I just forgot this case! I was perhaps simplistically equating higher cadence with longer cycling experience.

I think she went on ahead to buy us Ice Creams.

Many people told me the ice cream in Alston is the best in the world ;) Perhaps they were just in a special state of mind that day?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #34 on: 16 April, 2014, 01:54:54 pm »

It is noticeable when C has been riding fixed and we get on the tandem.  It tends to go along the lines of "cough splutter wheeze YOU HAVE GEARS ON THIS BIKE cough splutter" "Oh sorry dear I'd forgotten…"

« Reply #35 on: 09 June, 2014, 06:56:04 am »
Well the day gas finally arrived, Mrs H and I have finally had a maiden voyage on the tandem. We managed 5 miles, quite how I don't know but we did it. Totally different experience to riding solo. Since then we've managed amother 16 miler on the Swiss Valley cycle path north of Llanelli, an altogether more enjoyable affair. Our aim is to do a local sportive end of this month. I reckon we are going to turn a few heads when we turn up amongst all the carbon bling, but as the organiser are friends of ours and its for charity what the hell, it's got to be done

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #36 on: 09 June, 2014, 07:16:20 am »
 :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #37 on: 09 June, 2014, 07:19:21 am »
Excellent!  Wishing you much happy tandemming.

We rode ours a couple of miles to the park yesterday.  It also participated in Science over the weekend - finding out if a Helios can be persuaded into a VW Golf, and whether a Nikki otp can pilot one.  And when the SmallestCub and I were parking up outside the Park cafe we had a long conversation with some neighbouring cyclists about the joys of a Helios and they both had a bit of an experiment picking it up to see what it weighs.

Tandems = ++good :D

« Reply #38 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:24:00 am »
Our aim is to do a local sportive end of this month.

Lucky you are that tandems are allowed on sportives in your area!! Most sportive organizers in our area prohibit riding anything but an upright solo. I don't know why. Probably they want to avoid anything that look non-professionnal on the photos  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:27:32 am »
Tandems = ++good :D

You were right about that saddle, though.  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:36:14 am »
Well the day gas finally arrived, Mrs H and I have finally had a maiden voyage on the tandem. We managed 5 miles, quite how I don't know but we did it. Totally different experience to riding solo. Since then we've managed amother 16 miler on the Swiss Valley cycle path north of Llanelli, an altogether more enjoyable affair. Our aim is to do a local sportive end of this month. I reckon we are going to turn a few heads when we turn up amongst all the carbon bling, but as the organiser are friends of ours and its for charity what the hell, it's got to be done

Woo and Hoo! :D :thumbsup:
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #41 on: 09 June, 2014, 02:56:31 pm »
I reckon we are going to turn a few heads

It will be amazing if you don't.
Every time,& I do mean EVERY time,Carol & I ride the tandem,at some point we experience what I call "the tandem effect".

I hope you have miles of smiles :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 09 June, 2014, 08:26:03 pm »
Definitely. Everyone loves a tandem.

Wave at children in cars - they love it!

If you get any aggressive beeping on car horns - both wave like you've seen an old friend :)

ETA: Even better, if you manage to catch up with a horn blower, draw alongside, knock on the window and (assuming they open it) say "I thought it was you!!! OH. MY GOD - it must be, what, twenty years since I last saw you. How are you? Has "your problem" cleared up? etc etc...

« Reply #43 on: 10 June, 2014, 12:10:35 am »
I've been riding mine solo since I've changed the handlebars and controls round to get used to maneuvering in traffic without scaring my partner.

I actually forced a car out of a lane today, it was a small hatchback and he made some comment through the open window about me moving out the way to which I replied, my bikes' longer than your car you move and then preceded to push him across the lane.

Ha might is right and I won.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #44 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:24:21 am »
After a few short rides of around 10-15 miles, we eventually went out on an all dayer yesterday, in the sun. Managed almost 60 miles, that's the most my wife has done in a very long time. We took our time, overall average was just over 6mph, but our moving average was almost 12. We arrived home, my wife was shattered but in a good way, maybe the weather helped a lot, but I can truely say we are both total converts. We even uttered those immortal words "when we get the next one ". Thanks for all the tips.

« Reply #45 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:59:36 am »
The next one might come sooner than you think. We bought our first tandem (second hand) in June 2010. The order for the next tandem was signed for in November of the same year!

« Reply #46 on: 23 June, 2014, 10:31:03 am »
Brilliant! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #47 on: 23 June, 2014, 10:57:32 am »
Good stuff. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #48 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:51:43 pm »
Well, I think, as you can see from the photo, that we are truly converts. Photo was taken on a local sportive last weekend, where we managed to do the 50 miler in less than four and a half hours. Mrs H has even perfected the way to put a windproof while still pedaling, I only wish she'd warn me first though lol. thanks again for all the tips and encouragement. Next stop now to try and find an easyish 100km audax, but no rush, next spring perhaps

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #49 on: 11 May, 2015, 11:32:46 pm »
Useful stoker skill:  Quietly and without comment, ease off the power as the captain drags the cadence away from your comfort point.  They'll soon learn to pedal at the right speed.   :D

(This sort of mismatch can be solved more permanently and efficiently by differential crank lengths.)

Haha so it's not just me
Everyone's favourite windbreak