Author Topic: Tour de Yorkshire  (Read 15183 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Tour de Yorkshire
« Reply #50 on: 02 May, 2015, 11:31:38 am »
Full results here.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 02 May, 2015, 11:57:18 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed that on ITV4. Very interesting to get David Millar's take on it as it unfolded, though he's going to have to get his thoughts a bit more organised if he's going to do much of this commentary lark in the future!

This ^^^^.  Does this mean that Messrs Sherwen & Liggett Have been pensioned off permanently?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #52 on: 02 May, 2015, 07:25:02 pm »
Watched them fly past the village. Good turn out for the middle of nowhere. Interestingly a tour car came past with a guy giving a witty commentary on the race following including "I thing Wiggo is at the back he's only good for an hour these days". We laughed and our next door neighbour said "cock" (not Wiggo the commentator) She revealed another one of the several careers she has had this one as a professional masseur for cycling. Interesting lady.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #53 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:12:22 pm »
We picked a spot on Layerthorpe junction, arriving on the bridge the first time just as the motorbike outriders appeared, so got to see the women race by a total of 8 times.  Wandered off to get some coffee and warm at the nearby climbing wall, managed to meet up with MrCharly and all head to a cafe before heading back along Foss Islands Road towards Layerthorpe bridge.  Saw the men race by 5 times, before heading back to the Den for TEA.

The volunteer tourmakers got 10/10 from me.  Some of the other marshalling on the bridge left something to be desired.  Kudos to the family with several chiddlers that set up camp at 10:30 and stayed and cheered for 5 hours, with an impromptu aerobics session in the middle to warm up the kids.

It's definitely a bit too much like organised PE for me, and I think the women were really poorly served by the route they were given.  Nonetheless, a jolly fine day of entertainment and gossipery in h'excellent company :D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #54 on: 03 May, 2015, 02:33:03 pm »
I've just lost my two Knavesmire Rd KOMs  :'(

I had the short one at 40 seconds, it's now on 32.  Reckon I can get it back?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #55 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »
Just back from cyclist spotting, jolly good fun it was. Top of the hill out of Silsden, nicely spread out, good turn out too and the sun was out too. Picture to come after tea.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #56 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:19:51 pm »
The Raleigh team strip is definitely the nicest.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #57 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »
It was worth going to see the women's race, really exciting stuff. 

TdeYorkshire May 2015 911 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

TdeYorkshire May 2015 912 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

TdeYorkshire May 2015 894 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

TdeYorkshire May 2015 889 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

Milk please, no sugar.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #58 on: 03 May, 2015, 08:51:24 pm »
Ruthie, grand photos, sadly we missed the sportive and the woman's race.

Here are a few :

If want to see more, shake your mouse this way

« Reply #59 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:32:09 pm »
Is that a fag in the topsport guys mouth or an optical illusion?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #60 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:51:09 pm »
Just looked at the un-cropped photo and yes that is a cancer stick.

« Reply #61 on: 04 May, 2015, 11:12:28 pm »
The race was run by ASO - they're French, they all smoke !!!! (Well, most of them do)
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #62 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:49:17 am »
Just looked at the un-cropped photo and yes that is a cancer stick.
Good job he wasn't in Scotland as that would be illegal (smoking in the workplace)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #63 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:50:25 am »
It is in England and Wales too.
https://www.gov.uk/smoking-at-work-the-law
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #64 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »
Who were the flash buggers in the unmarked white Maserati?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #65 on: 05 May, 2015, 01:36:07 pm »
Don't remember that one.

I did think it quite amusing that in amongst all the liveried team cars with custom equipment mounting systems, there was one white Vauxhall Estate with a standard set of roof bars and 4 thule bike carriers.

« Reply #66 on: 05 May, 2015, 03:20:13 pm »
Who were the flash buggers in the unmarked white Maserati?

There were too many flash buggers in Maseratis but then I suppose that's the price you pay to get a biggish car dealer like JCT600 to provide cars for officials etc. 80% of the cars in the peloton were foreigners.

We rode down to Selby on Saturday morning , arriving about an hour after the official start time hoping to get just a hint of atmosphere before heading up to York to see the finish.
Even then the events people were packing up and any sponsors had already gone. The much vaunted big screen was showing the previous day's racing, probably because TV rights stopped them showing live action.
I can't help thinking that Welcome to Yorkshire and the local council missed  a big opportunity to get locals interested in the rest of the event. An add on like a farmers market, mini beer fest or bike fest might have helped.
 Selby doesn't get much good publicity at the best of times but the marketing was hopeless.
By the way ,Selby Abbey church is absolutely fantastic inside -a hidden gem.

On Sunday we drove to the course near Arthington and stood at the top of the last sprint. Most people had no idea how big the race was so after the two breakaway guys and the mini peloton with Voeckler went past a lot of folks started walking up the road. We stood our ground and four minutes later (quite a long gap ) the rest of the peloton groaned past , having given up any hope of catching the GC contenders and cruising into Leeds to finish off another day on the bike.

If they decide to come back after the weather we had , then the TdeY could become a minor late spring classic. Hilly but not Alpine, 3 days -long enough to stretch the pros but not knackering like a Grand Tour  and different TV audience for sponsors and advertisers. Let's hope the love in between (Sir ) Gary Verity and Christian Prudhome continues.

« Reply #67 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:43:14 pm »
There were three Maseratis, a white one, a black one and a silver one. All carrying "VIP" guests. And the reason you didn't see any live pictures an hour after the start is that live coverage only came on for the last 2 hours of the race. Given the sizeable crowds that I saw in towns the race went through like Whitby, Beverley and Barnsley as well as the hills of West Yorkshire, and the start and finish towns, I'd say the locals were pretty interested.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #68 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »
Heard that 1.5 million where watching enroute.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #69 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:25:01 pm »
Google+ has been trying to make some moving images out of my photos from Saturday. Not sure this one's quite right though ;D
(click to show/hide)

(spoiler to prevent annoyance of animated gif)

The junction we picked was great though, with 8 passes of the womens race and 5 of the mens.

more here if you are interested :) - photos

I also got some video, including a close call between a team car and one of the riders.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/76JAGwrKFwM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/76JAGwrKFwM&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/76JAGwrKFwM

A slight grumble though - One TV camera on that junction would have given enough coverage for ITV to do an acceptable highlights package of the womens race, rather than the 5 seconds of sprinting at the end that was so meaningless even the presenter sounded apologetic.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #70 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:21:31 am »

That, IIRC, is the total for the whole 3 days, with an estimated 800,000 lining the route on Sunday.

Apparently us good Yorkshire folk are the new Belgians*.  Sod that for a game of soldiers, I'm not swapping my roast beef and yorkshire puds for Moules Frites for anyone! :)

*refers: http://road.cc/content/news/150035-just-incredible-gary-verity-hails-huge-support-tour-de-yorkshire
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #71 on: 09 December, 2016, 10:52:26 am »
I see the professionals have to do Robin Hood Bay in 2017....  ;D

I've heard that a right little snorter!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #72 on: 09 December, 2016, 11:11:59 am »

That, IIRC, is the total for the whole 3 days, with an estimated 800,000 lining the route on Sunday.

Apparently us good Yorkshire folk are the new Belgians*.  Sod that for a game of soldiers, I'm not swapping my roast beef and yorkshire puds for Moules Frites for anyone! :)

*refers: http://road.cc/content/news/150035-just-incredible-gary-verity-hails-huge-support-tour-de-yorkshire

Yebbut the beer ...

« Reply #73 on: 09 December, 2016, 11:59:02 am »
I see the professionals have to do Robin Hood Bay in 2017....  ;D

I've heard that a right little snorter!

There are some proper climbs on that day, true enough