Author Topic: Brompton gearing  (Read 8997 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Brompton gearing
« Reply #25 on: 21 July, 2016, 09:20:54 pm »
After earlier posts where I started with the Std 50T S6L.   I'd found it great until touring or in hillier regions I then swapped for the 44T.  This was much better when load lugging or going up hills, but I missed the top gears as I'm not a very spinny rider.  So for £60 I've gone for a Stronglight 50/34 Compact double which gives me back the lovely big ring back but with a granny geared system that is great for touring and lumpy terrain.  OK it's manual shift but the 34 is more usable than I expected.
Didn't need to change the BB and took the opportunity for a new chain and rear sprockets.  Fab.  Got an S12L now :-)

Do you "heel-shift" between rings?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #26 on: 24 August, 2016, 06:01:23 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it's possible to heel shift from big ring to small; but not from small ring to big. I swapped the original
ring for a Shimano Dura Ace model; lost the pants/trouser protector in the process. Now when I shift; the chain
jumps off to the outside sometimes. It lands on the spider of the crank; I'm able to push the chain back using my
heel:
2013 Brompton DA chainring Ultegra chain by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 24 August, 2016, 06:53:07 pm »

[/quote]

I think it's possible to heel shift from big ring to small; but not from small ring to big. I swapped the original
ring for a Shimano Dura Ace model; lost the pants/trouser protector in the process. Now when I shift; the chain
jumps off to the outside sometimes. It lands on the spider of the crank; I'm able to push the chain back using my
heel:
2013 Brompton DA chainring Ultegra chain by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
[/quote]

I did something similar with a Spa cycles touring triple, but with the biggest ring replaced by a chain guard, giving me 28/38, on a 20t rear, on a sturmey archer 8 speed hub. It's pretty good at going up hills, but I was still defeated by the big climb up to Black hut on the Isle of Man TT. 417m of ascent was a killer...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #28 on: 24 August, 2016, 09:17:57 pm »
After earlier posts where I started with the Std 50T S6L.   I'd found it great until touring or in hillier regions I then swapped for the 44T.  This was much better when load lugging or going up hills, but I missed the top gears as I'm not a very spinny rider.  So for £60 I've gone for a Stronglight 50/34 Compact double which gives me back the lovely big ring back but with a granny geared system that is great for touring and lumpy terrain.  OK it's manual shift but the 34 is more usable than I expected.
Didn't need to change the BB and took the opportunity for a new chain and rear sprockets.  Fab.  Got an S12L now :-)

Not tried yet!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:36:39 pm »
Easier with a toe, but that requires foot retention.