Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 108017 times)

Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« on: 27 August, 2015, 10:58:20 am »
Although I vowed never to do any 600km audax rides after completing PBP, my memory of the hard times is fading and I now really fancy doing an SR series next year.  I thought it would be nice to cap this off with completing the BCM, which had been on my wishlist for a while.  Does anyone know the likely date, so I can pencil it in.

LMT

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:10:31 pm »
Usually the 3rd? weekend of May. If so that will the 21st.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:32:44 pm »
14 May 2016, according to R.T.

« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »

like wot Adam  said and in email from Ritchie re Barmouth Bridge petition

BCM is on 14 May in 2016 so back to its usual weekend.  Entries will be open as soon as the AUK online calendar is updated

just hope Barmouth Bridge is open to cyclist though ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:14:32 pm »

like wot Adam  said and in email from Ritchie re Barmouth Bridge petition

BCM is on 14 May in 2016 so back to its usual weekend.  Entries will be open as soon as the AUK online calendar is updated

Can always convert your bike into a pedalo!

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2015, 07:50:50 pm »

There's always the Penmaenpool bridge - adds only 4km
And Pont Brewit re-opened last month, so that cuts off the extra 10km we've had to do for the last few years.

« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2015, 06:56:17 am »

There's always the Penmaenpool bridge - adds only 4km
And Pont Brewit re-opened last month, so that cuts off the extra 10km we've had to do for the last few years.

Good that has finally been completed---and isn`t it strange how probably £millions has been spent rebuilding that bridge yet Barmouth cyclist / pedestrian bridge is being threatened by a few £10k annually  ::-)
 Of course it will be down to different agencies, budgets etc but what a case of unjoined up thinking ::-) ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2015, 10:43:05 pm »
Entries are now open. So I have taken the plunge and entered. I need to set myself a weight loss target now, to help with all those hills.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2015, 06:31:07 am »
Entries are now open. So I have taken the plunge and entered. I need to set myself a weight loss target now, to help with all those hills.

What!!!

Even before you've heard jamesld8's long range weather forecast. Is that wise ?

« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:14:56 am »

What!!!

Even before you've heard jamesld8's long range weather forecast. Is that wise ?

Thank you Adam ::-) I must get that super computer modelling better then........ 

BUT

to plaguarise a well known melanistic ovine " weather guaranteed"  :facepalm:

« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2015, 09:52:30 pm »
I've entered too!  long term goal for next year. Long range weather forecast is some rain at some point  :D  am looking forward to it......I think!

Cheers

Darren

« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2015, 03:09:45 pm »
Is there any way of entering this that doesn't involve sending a cheque? I don't think I've had a cheque book in years...

« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2015, 03:11:38 pm »
I think you can ride round to the organisers address and drop an envelope of fivers with your entry form in his letterbox.
Or you could paypal me and I'll add you to our cheque.

« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »
Thank you, very kind of you. But I'm still trying to find out if any clubmates are interested as well so would probably over complicate things for you & at this point just wanted to establish there wasn't some sort of more convenient payment option I'd missed.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »
"Entries should arrive before 2 Jan 2016"?????

is this some kind of typo / mistake or is Richie trying to cut down the field to a more manageable size??

« Reply #15 on: 16 November, 2015, 06:06:52 pm »
Calendar is saying the event is oversubscribed and no mention of 2nd January.

Also no mention of maximum number.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2015, 06:11:59 pm »
It was oversubscribed last time too, till they all pulled out at the last minute for some reason.

« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »
Event page currently says entries close on 30th April. I'd interpret the mention of over-subscription as meaning that because it's normally full to bursting, Ritchie will give priority to entries from AUK members and foreign riders, with non-AUKs having to take their chances at the very back of the queue.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2015, 07:11:06 pm »
Is there any way of entering this that doesn't involve sending a cheque? I don't think I've had a cheque book in years...
Have you tried asking friends if they have a cheque-book?

Sorry, forgot you're an Audaxer ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 16 November, 2015, 10:55:25 pm »
Have you tried asking friends if they have a cheque-book?

Sorry, forgot you're an Audaxer ...
Funnily enough it was the very first thing I thought of. However I then thought 'I wonder if there's an easier and more convenient method of entering (for both organiser and entrant) that has accidentally been omitted from the Audax UK website?' Next I thought 'it'd takes 30 seconds to post on a popular audax forum where there's a thread about that exact audax and many people more knowledgeable than me. Why don't I enquire if there is such a method before I go to the trouble of asking friends if any of them still have a cheque book?'

« Reply #20 on: 17 November, 2015, 08:36:06 am »
I hadn't written a cheque since my son left primary school nearly 10 years ago - they seemed wedded to paper-based payment methods. I felt quite nostalgic doing so - like coming across a kettle that didn't turn itself off, or a phone attached to a wall by a wire. Happy days.
Eddington Number = 132

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 17 November, 2015, 08:50:56 am »
I hadn't written a cheque since my son left primary school nearly 10 years ago - they seemed wedded to paper-based payment methods. I felt quite nostalgic doing so - like coming across a kettle that didn't turn itself off, or a phone attached to a wall by a wire......

...or a steel bicycle with a leather saddle, cloth saddlebag, mudguards and a dynamo.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #22 on: 17 November, 2015, 01:44:59 pm »
.....ridden by someone wearing a hat.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #23 on: 17 November, 2015, 04:12:30 pm »
"Entries should arrive before 2 Jan 2016"?????

is this some kind of typo / mistake or is Richie trying to cut down the field to a more manageable size??

Fixed now, more normal cut off

« Reply #24 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:16:56 am »
Just about to send off the entry form and cheque ... and was wondering what are my chances of actually getting a place.

Is it really over-subscribed already ?