Author Topic: Front hub for a tandem  (Read 3232 times)

Front hub for a tandem
« on: 30 August, 2015, 07:18:31 pm »
How does a front hub for a tandem differ than the hub for a solo?   I have a decent quality 36h hub that I could use with a suitable rim but I see hubs advertised specifically for a tandem wheel.   What am I not understanding here please?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Front hub for a tandem
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2015, 07:26:09 pm »
Most normal weight front hubs are fine for tandems.

Tandem-specific front hubs usually have more spokes (40 or more, to match the rear) and may have flanges sized to use the same size spokes as the rear wheel. Having the same number of spokes front and rear can be useful if you're touring on 40(+) spoked wheels. A bent rear rim can be replaced by the front rim and a solo front wheel purchased to keep you on the road.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2015, 10:09:34 am »
I think larger flanges also allow you to have 40 or 48 spokes without weakening the flanges by having the holes drilled too close from each other.

If you want to buy a large flange hub, then buy a forged one, not a CNC machined one. CNC machining from a solid slab of aluminium is the best recipe for disaster. I should take the time to post a photo of our front wheel and you will understand why  :demon:

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:16:56 pm »
We're a heavyweight team, and we've run a 36t Shimano dynohub on the front this year (incl PBP) without issue.

We previously had a SON on there, that ate spokes - even on a 200. I moved it forthwith to a solo, where it has been fine- guess it just didn't like being on a tandem.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:52:12 pm »
Cannondale road tandems do fine with 36H front wheels, our rear 36H is a bit marginal for a 220Kg team but still impressively durable considering the bumps it has taken.
Cannondale spec tandem hubs (DT Swiss) but still 36H so I agree with LWaB. The front wheel appears to be working within the limits of most decent solo front hubs.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2017, 08:42:07 am »
fwiw I have been researching some lighter and more modern 26" wheels for our tandem and several folks have suggested the cheaper 36h Deore over XT, as the latter apparently has a little less metal in the hub body where you might want it. We are planning to use fairly deep V jump/DH rims as we run disc brakes and I think good rims make a lot of difference too. The ready made wheels we have in mind are pretty cheap plain spoke affair but I may yet rebuild with Alpine III spokes over the winter as I am sure butted spokes are gentler on rims /hubs too

In all my chats no one has suggested standard Shimano MTB 36h hubs would be an issue on a tandem

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2017, 08:48:40 am »
Front hubs generally have an easy life on a tandem, provided you allow for the larger rotor often used on a tandem. Current XT hubs have undersized bearings, which can lead to premature failure.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...