Author Topic: Best Cake Stops (also beer)  (Read 180450 times)

Re: Best Cake Stops (also beer)
« Reply #150 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:41:23 am »
Truffles Bakery, a small chain in W & E Sussex.  I recently had a good cooked breakfast in the Storrington branch and then tea/cake in Hailsham later in the day.

http://www.trufflesbakeryltd.co.uk/locations/

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #151 on: 08 April, 2016, 08:19:25 am »
Excellent and pleasantly located, fair trade cafe with sensible pricing, located in Bourn village to the west of Cambridge. Unfortunately not open sundays.

http://www.abantufairtrade.co.uk/

I've passed this a few times on 'Boudica's Revenge' 200 - it would make a good café stop, if having 'bounced' the control at the A14 services you feel the need. Been to the golf club on the other side of Bourn before now.

« Reply #152 on: 26 April, 2016, 10:08:31 am »
Added the Grind Cafe (part of Rides on Air LBS) in Wallingford. Annoyingly a bit too near for me to use regularly!

http://ridesonair.com/cafe.html

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #153 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:04:50 pm »
Can heartily recommend the Drayman in Ely. Good selection of ales an ciders, good snacks and good service.  Nice sofas you can see your bike from. Even asked me if I was a CAMRA member today, maybe the beard and being a cyclist stopping in for a thirst quencher.

On Fore Hill.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #154 on: 02 July, 2016, 05:38:03 pm »
The Tea Room, Pulborough.  Had a good fry-up there today.  The high end of avg at £10 inc tea+toast but big, 2 of eveything, and decent quality ingredients.  Efficient and friendly service.  Would happily return.

http://www.pulboroughtearoom.co.uk/

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #155 on: 07 July, 2016, 02:49:30 pm »
I've added a few more tea stops, from my recent trip to Orkney and Shetland plus a last detour back on the mainland out west to Coigach plus the Cape Wrath Ozone cafe...surprised it wasn't there.  I hope it's still open, haven't been there for a couple of years.

« Reply #156 on: 31 October, 2016, 11:28:17 am »
A couple of Leicestershire notes :
There's a new excellent deli-cafe, with lots of outdoor seating at The Tithe Barn on Main Street, Cosby (and for a poncy deli their prices are very reasonable) open 9am-8pm Tuesday-Sunday, although at the moment they are trialling opening till 5 on Mondays. Added to the map.

The very popular Kings Lock tearoom by the canal in Aylestone is now closed until the clocks change next year.

I've had trouble getting served at the Tropical Bird Tea shop in Desford - I think this is a short term hiccup with new staff not understanding that the cafe is open to non-zoo visitors.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #157 on: 23 March, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »
A new one in Leicestershire.
This is on the western edge of Leicester, close to Desford Cross Roads, where the A47 crosses the B582. A bit tricky to find at the moment as there's been a 'neighbours dispute' about the sign on the road. It is off the B582 on the same side as Desford Hall, but follow the track labelled as Hollows Farm and eventually you'll get to Hollows Farm Vintage Tea Room. There's bridleways connecting the site, but I've never explored them.
Closed at the moment on Mondays, otherwise open 10-4. It's got an 'Eroica' vibe about it, but don't let that put you off. Although could seat 28, I guess that more than a dozen at a time might be a stretch.
It's on the YACF map.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #158 on: 28 November, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
Relatively new tearoom, The Boat Shack, overlooking Derwent Reservoir (that's the Durham Derwent).
Next to Pow Hill Country Park, on the Edmundbyers to Blanchland road.
Very welcoming, super views, pretty safe for bikes.  Limited menu - soup, sandwiches, paninis, cakes, etc, but we had a bit of everything and it was good (esp the Toffee Cake!!)
Closed Mon and Tues.  Roast lunches on Sunday, 12.00 - 3.00

For youngsters/less confident, there is a multi-use path about 5 miles round the reservoir, from Pow Hill car park over the dam to Millshields in Northumberland, and 5 miles back. 
Public toilets at the dam and Millshields, but not at Pow Hill

rogerdodge

• But that was 25 years ago!
« Reply #159 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:29:25 am »
I've just added the Lighthorne Pavillion Cafe (south of Warwick.) It was, and still is a cricket pavillion but they have worked wonders on it. Run by very pleasant people who are cyclist friendly. No website, but they do have a Facebook page
https://en-gb.facebook.com/LighthornePavilionCafe/

ElyDave

« Reply #160 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:02:53 pm »
The White Horse at Whepstead, mid way-ish on my ride yesterday,

Nice freindy staff and a good selection of Essex energy drinks.  A pint of St Peter's Blooming Marvellous and a packet of crisps was just the job, and a topped up bottle with plenty of ice in it.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #161 on: 23 July, 2018, 06:45:09 pm »
Netherlands: https://m.facebook.com/LickthePlateCateringRossum/

About 50km west of Nijmegen.

The best cake I've ever had. €8 gets you 3 slices of different cakes which are all divine, and a big jug of delicious coffee. The English managwr also does local catering for weddings and whatnot, Lick the Plate is the "day job."

Can't believe I came across it by accidwnt, it was a miracle.
Edit: sadly the dutch bureaucracy shut the place down. 'Not enough parking spaces'!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #162 on: 27 August, 2018, 08:55:59 am »
Beths Cafe, Bredon on the Hill near Asbourne in the UK.  Large helpings and everything is homemade.    I am a regular but it does off settthe good of the ride ;-).

« Reply #163 on: 25 November, 2018, 04:36:24 pm »
Italian cafe Bedford. Worth the visit. Oustanding and authentic. Very good pricing e.g. coffee £1 amazing cake £2. generous proportions.
https://www.yell.com/biz/wendover-caffe-bedford-8307751/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #164 on: 26 November, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »
Beths Cafe, Bredon on the Hill near Asbourne in the UK.  Large helpings and everything is homemade.    I am a regular but it does off settthe good of the ride ;-).
I think you find this is closing soon.

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #165 on: 30 March, 2019, 04:43:29 pm »
Added a few in the Fenland and Norfolk area today. Will add some more gradually  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #166 on: 30 March, 2019, 06:10:32 pm »
Was very impressed by the cafe at the end of the cycle path in Weston-super-Mare by the marina. I can't remember it's name, but the food was good and there was impressive ample secure cycle parking.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #167 on: 13 April, 2019, 10:24:38 pm »
Thank you to whoever added Emily's Tea shop in Whitwell. We rode out to visit for the first time today. Well worth a visit.
California Dreaming

« Reply #168 on: 05 May, 2019, 03:30:36 pm »
I've added a fairly comprehensive list covering the mainland, Bressay, Yell and Unst in Shetland in case anyone should be brave/foolhardy enough to venture north. There may be another couple opening shortly that I will add when they appear. I should say that there are many more options in Lerwick and I've only noted the more useful ones like Islesburgh House (it is next to the SYHA hostel and can be used as a cafeteria facility if you're staying there). Also worth noting that the community halls through the country sometimes do teas in the summer as a fundraiser with great home baking. In the same way they also do curry nights, Chinese nights and fish and chip nights on occasional weekend evenings. Worth keeping an eye out for signs as you travel around.

Not meaning to drift this thread but maybe a list, using Google in the same way, of shops in remoter areas listing their opening hours and closing days would be useful to the cycle tourist. I'm sure many of us have had the experience of pitching the tent, cycling down to the shop and finding it not open for whatever reason and then being so hungry you consider licking the crumbs from the bottom of the Ortliebs - or is that just me?

ElyDave

« Reply #169 on: 17 December, 2019, 03:24:20 pm »
Can reccomend the coffee and bacon sarnies at Kings Lynn railway station, they also do tinned beers if you're that way inclined.

Haven't checked out their cakes yet.

« Reply #170 on: 15 October, 2021, 07:49:52 pm »
Can recommend IV10 Café on the Black Isle west of Inverness - just wonderful for a pit stop.

« Reply #171 on: 08 April, 2022, 05:27:57 pm »
Sorry - EAST of Inverness