Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24TT  (Read 48324 times)

Bairn Again

Re: Mersey 24hr 2016
« Reply #50 on: 01 February, 2016, 01:12:10 pm »
A question for the veterans of this event.   Whilst I probably won't write a schedule, it's useful to estimate where you'll be and when in order to position helpers.

From the 2015 start sheet I can see a few sections :-

- ride to Prees
- Prees-Prees Circuit
- Quina Brook Circuit
- Prees-Prees Circuit (night)
- Quina Brook Circuit
- Finishing Circuit

Does anyone know what times each circuit opens and closes ?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob - this is from memory of three rides from a - relatively speaking - lowly plodder 

You will do two loops of Shawbirch in addition to getting there so 95 miles - UNLESS you are a slow-ish late starter in a big field (I got turned back at Epsley on circuit two off a 1420 start one year after having a visitation earlier).   

You will then do laps of Quina Brook until about 2130 when you will return to the Shawbirch circuit (this is a good opportunity to get "night timed up".)

I think the switch back to Quina happens about 0700 and then folks start getting directed to the finish circuit about 1000 (ESL or others better versed might correct that)

What it means that the character of your ride is heavily infuenced by your start time. 

My best was just over 600km and had a reasonably early start (1315 or suchlike).  That allowed me to plan out exactly the first 8 hours or so of the ride - the 95 miles above then 5 laps of Quina Brook which gave me a good base for the night section whenere I prepared myself for three laps of Shawbirch (in the end I got another bonus leg out to Epsley before being turned back).  It also meant I spent less time on the finish circuit which struck me as quite lumpy.  I liked the circuits of Quina Brook as one hill apart quite suited me and they had the morale boosting effect of returning to Prees every 40 minutes or so.  Traffic also much quieter than on the Shawbirch circuit

Thats another feature, you could be turned back at Tern Hill or Epsley on either occasion you are doing the Shawbirch circuits, it could play havoc with supporters calculations if they arent prepared!

Hope it goes well for you.     

EDIT - I dont plan to ride this event again (concentrating on shorter TTs now) but could be persuaded to act as support in 2016. 

rob

« Reply #51 on: 01 February, 2016, 04:05:26 pm »
Thanks.   Mini-plan written.

« Reply #52 on: 01 February, 2016, 04:07:57 pm »
That's about right.
ISTR that it was 6 laps of the Quina Brook Circuit on the Saturday evening (fewer if you were slower but I expect you would get your full 6). 
When I last did it they kept people off the finishing circuit until later because of roadworks.  I was riding unsupported and needed a steer on timings so I knew where to stash bottles on the course, so I flipped the org an email the week before and got more precise switch timings. 

« Reply #53 on: 06 February, 2016, 01:19:41 am »
I never really bothered with the course timings - it changes every time anyway - if you're in the lead you'll do extra laps and if you're slower they can cut a lap so you turn at Hodnet rather than doing a full loop of that big dogleg circuit. I let the Scherrit or the missus work out where they've got to be. Mersey is way easier to deal with than the ESCA for teams - it's a much simpler layout with a central RAB and you're less likely to lose your rider like on the long transfers ESCA has.

I won't be riding this year's edition. I think I've had enough of 24hrs for a bit.

rob

« Reply #54 on: 22 February, 2016, 03:49:18 pm »
I'm toying with heading up for a weekend to ride a few of the loops.   It's quite a long trip, but I don't know the roads at all.

When I rode the ESCA I must have spent 5 or 6 weekends riding different loops, but it was only an hour from home.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #55 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »
Do the Anfield 100, you know you want to.  You get to do a course recce and can tick off a classic event at the same time  :)

rob

« Reply #56 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:24:22 pm »
Do the Anfield 100, you know you want to.  You get to do a course recce and can tick off a classic event at the same time  :)

Planning the Hounslow 100 that weekend.   For some reason that I can't remember I need to be closer to home.

« Reply #57 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:29:43 pm »
I spent 12hrs riding the night loop of ESCA 24 the weeks before the 2011 race. Unfortunately it was my team that got lost...

Think I spent a weekend riding the loops in Mersey before the National the year after and it's much simpler.

Having ridden 1500miles of Mersey in the last four years it's safe to say I'm pretty familiar with that course now :)

rob

« Reply #58 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:37:32 pm »
I spent 12hrs riding the night loop of ESCA 24 the weeks before the 2011 race. Unfortunately it was my team that got lost...

Think I spent a weekend riding the loops in Mersey before the National the year after and it's much simpler.

Having ridden 1500miles of Mersey in the last four years it's safe to say I'm pretty familiar with that course now :)

It looks simpler - although the 2014 ESCA was simpler than the 2011 - I supported in 2011 and rode in 2014.

You can get some idea from Google street view, but I think a trip up to ride might be useful.   Not sure I'll do it again, but it depends how well it all goes.

« Reply #59 on: 24 February, 2016, 12:51:17 pm »
There's a slightly unnerving bit on the finishing circuit that feel like you're riding through a farm yard.

https://goo.gl/maps/UKd6zPasr422

« Reply #60 on: 24 February, 2016, 12:54:36 pm »
I took a full on dive into a hedge somewhere on the finishing circuit in 2013 when a harvester or truck of some sort took up the full road coming the other way. Fun times.

rob

« Reply #61 on: 24 February, 2016, 01:01:08 pm »
Got to love this forum when you get advice from last years top 2.   Thanks, guys.

rob

« Reply #62 on: 03 May, 2016, 12:05:44 pm »
Who's still up for this ?    I have struggled a bit recently but still want to go on the understanding that I may not be at my best.

12 weeks to go.

« Reply #63 on: 03 May, 2016, 12:19:18 pm »
Not me. I can't focus on training and do a proper job at work in a new company and I'm not going to be earning money riding a bike in this lifetime. I don't want to make a half arsed attempt. Maybe next year.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #64 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:22:47 pm »
Still is this years target ride. Hope the enforced course changes don't have too much impact.

12 weeks! need to cut down on the pies/pints.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

simonp

« Reply #65 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:55:49 pm »
What's this about course changes?

« Reply #66 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »
Apparently there are works to install new traffic lights on the Shawbirch leg, or whichever bit is the night circuit. Can't remember exactly where they're going to be built, there's a thread about it on TT forum.

rob

« Reply #67 on: 04 May, 2016, 07:18:31 am »
Apparently there are works to install new traffic lights on the Shawbirch leg, or whichever bit is the night circuit. Can't remember exactly where they're going to be built, there's a thread about it on TT forum.

From studying the maps and looking at the notes on the TT forum it looks like roadworks and new lights somewhere between the 2 Southern RABs on the big circuit (Prees-Prees).   This may mean roads South of Tern Hill could be unavailable.   They could make the circuit shorter by turning earlier, but no further detail yet.   I wouldn't mind a shorter circuit as my helpers will be at Prees and I'll see them more often.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #68 on: 04 May, 2016, 07:38:29 am »
Also, the bit south of Tern Hill has the awful Road surface so I wouldn't be sad to see it go!

Shame to hear you're pulling out, fboab.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #69 on: 04 May, 2016, 07:47:09 am »
Also, the bit south of Tern Hill has the awful Road surface so I wouldn't be sad to see it go!

Shame to hear you're pulling out, fboab.
+1 to the terrible surface on that leg. And if I never see Long Lane again, well, I won't be too upset.

@fboab: why not give it a go as a sort of rehearsal for next year? It would give you some experience to build on
I've missed it the last two years, and am nowhere near fit now, but am looking forward to trundling round this year. My target is 24 hours!
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #70 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »
Yes, one of my abiding memories of that leg is that awful bit of road - I remember just resorting to riding down the middle of the road in the night to stay on the smoothest line.

However, I also remember being absolutely sick and tired of that loop come morning, having done 4 laps of it, and I was very relieved when I got directed back onto the Quina Brook circuit, just for some mental relief. If that loop is shortened, then it may become even more repetitive. Still, if I wanted a scenic ride then I wouldn't be doing a time trial!

Still on for it myself and looking forward to it. Reasonably happy with progress in fitness though I've been focussing on lower volume of training at higher intensity so haven't yet done anything mega long to see how the endurance is.

« Reply #71 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »
I have laid cunning plans to not ride this year, but I shall try to get there to help either marshalling or a rider.

« Reply #72 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:54:07 am »
Aha, there is a thread.

I've put an entry in although I'm not getting enough miles in at the moment what with other training. But I'll be somewhere in the 500km-600km range.

Unsupported as family is elsewhere that weekend.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #73 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:40:29 pm »
Just booked Wrexham North Premier Inn (~£75 each for Friday and Sunday nights including breakfast on a flexy rate so I can get my money back if I cancel before the day).

Will be nice not having to get up at 6am for the start of a ride.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #74 on: 29 May, 2016, 01:08:21 pm »
My entry is sent off although as yet I have not booked a hotel.

I am unto 3 hours continuously on the tri bars without changing and managing fine. this is gradually ramping up.

I am thinking about drinking.  I can mount a water bottle holder on the down tube but i have been reading about the profile torpedo shaped HC system.  This seems ideal for a self supported ride where i can drink on the go and have a reserve bottle on the downtime.  Also holds the computer in place as well.

Do other use this or similar?

Thanks