Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517866 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2475 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:08:56 pm »
haha....it's not that kind of spinning....it's just stalls with all kinds of stuff with bars at regular intervals to avoid dehydration (and to help you empty your wallet). It was proper good last year.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2476 on: 18 May, 2017, 07:47:57 am »
Suffice to say it was wet, but not that wet...or cold for that matter: Rain jacket, rainlegs, sandals [sealskins socks after dark  8) ]. Grey Sheep, Hotblack and Andy C33 already installed having minimised exposure to the wet stuff.

That jazz band was there, making for shouty conversation for a bit, a selfie was taken, Colchester Brewery's Smuggler's Ale got my vote, but the Black Prince was good too  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2477 on: 18 May, 2017, 07:54:15 am »
... That jazz band was there, making for shouty conversation ...

aka The Conversation Killers  ::-)

By the way, I have just emailed RAW Mudflaps with some design ideas and asked if they would knock up some proofs.

« Reply #2478 on: 18 May, 2017, 08:23:36 am »
Kudos for those that went out last night, I know it was warmish as Tomsk points out but that rain was rather persistent! I genuinely could bare the thought of it after a day in the office and getting stuck on the train home!

That band seems to be a regular Wednesday night fixture. I reckon OD once upset the folk in the pub and made it known there is a ride every Wednesday so they decided better safe then sorry  :P

:thumbsup: on the flaps, I will need new mudguards for my new wheels/tyres so might even move away from the Carpet tiles....although I will likely stick with the piece of Cow for the front.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2479 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:08:08 am »
Re mudflaps, at the risk of pissing off the wider yacf community with yet another Mid-Essex thread I have started a separate thread dedicated to ACME mudflaps  :thumbsup:   ;D

« Reply #2480 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:35:10 am »
Could we potentially make that thread an ACME merchandise thread?

I'm probably going to arrange another order for some Jerseys sometime in June and it would be quite good to wrap it into the same thread once the Flaps are done.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #2481 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:36:40 am »
I believe I saw the BFC on my ride to the station this morning. We exchanged a wave as I was cresting Chipping Hill and he was about to descend  :thumbsup: ;D

« Reply #2482 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:43:10 am »
I normally bump into him along the Little Braxted road in the Dark. My retina's are usually just about recovered by the time I get back to Tiptree  ;D

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2483 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:44:28 am »
That band seems to be a regular Wednesday night fixture. I reckon OD once upset the folk in the pub and made it known there is a ride every Wednesday so they decided better safe then sorry  :P

That band are there the middle Wednesday each month apparently (that's what they said between the louder bits), also as an extra they'll be there for the upcoming Three Elms beer festival on the next bank holiday.

The pubs web site did have last nights event listed, so for future visits to this pub perhaps the forward planning dictatorship could check. Nothing against Jazz, but it does make conversation and general piss taking much harder work.

The Retiree

« Reply #2484 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:47:33 am »
I normally bump into him along the Little Braxted road in the Dark. My retina's are usually just about recovered by the time I get back to Tiptree  ;D

Sounds like I was fortunate to come across him during daylight hours  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2485 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:54:44 am »
Could we potentially make that thread an ACME merchandise thread?

I'm probably going to arrange another order for some Jerseys sometime in June and it would be quite good to wrap it into the same thread once the Flaps are done.

Sorted.

« Reply #2486 on: 26 May, 2017, 08:51:52 am »
Mrs Tippers has given me a provisional pass for a potential trip to somewhere a bit hillier next year as long as it is not in school holiday time. I have started putting together a document with some information about my 'Vaterland' to present it as an option to Y'all.

For now I'll just park this little seed of a cobbled beauty in your minds....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2487 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:24:39 am »
Blimey  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2488 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:35:30 am »
Cool.

Made me think of a couple of quotes ...

"After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb." - Nelson Mandela, obviously in support of your potential trip.

"On a level plain, simple mounds look like hills; and the insipid flatness of our present bourgeoisie is to be measured by the altitude of its great intellects" - Karl Marx, a fan of the flatlands!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2489 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:00:41 am »
Count me very much in  :thumbsup:

I love hills.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2490 on: 26 May, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
On Wednesday I met up with Edwin Knight, [Penny Farthing builder and racer, VCC chap and organiser of the forthcoming Bike Bicentenary Festival at Good Easter on 15/16th July - I'll start a thread sometime soon]. He's looking for a tall, long-legged rider to commit to training for the Penny Farthing World Championships in 2018.

Why tall and lanky? 'Cos you can build a bigger wheel - higher gear=faster...He has sourced titanium axled aluminium hubs, alu rims and all sorts of trick bits the Victorians couldn't have dreamt of - clearly this is a serious bid for an Essex World Champion!

Any ACME rider fit the bill? Get in touch and I'll pass you onto the Directeur Sportif.

« Reply #2491 on: 26 May, 2017, 07:16:51 pm »
Mmmh. Tall, lanky, enjoys a stupid challenge on two wheels...we haven't got someone like that have we ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2492 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:34:59 pm »
Think a few (hundred) reps of tmnh would be needed prior to that.

« Reply #2493 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:48:38 pm »
Mmmh. Tall, lanky, enjoys a stupid challenge on two wheels...we haven't got someone like that have we ?

BFC, BFC, BFC

The Retiree

« Reply #2494 on: 27 May, 2017, 07:00:07 pm »

BFC, BFC, BFC

With his aero helmet of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2495 on: 28 May, 2017, 10:04:19 am »
I was wondering if adding blocks of wood (or carbon arrangement for weight saving) might open the field up to more potential... perhaps the other resident TT'er of smaller stature..?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2496 on: 28 May, 2017, 08:54:50 pm »
Short cranks facilitate pushing an even bigger wheel. Looking at stuff about the early racers, they either were very tall or could spin blindingly fast. Do both and you're unbeatable.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2497 on: 28 May, 2017, 08:58:20 pm »
An ability to bounce probably helps...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2498 on: 30 May, 2017, 05:08:13 am »
Hello, this Friday (2nd) I'm taking a day off and plan the ride my Moletrap Loop which includes lunch at The Moletrap pub (can you see where I got the name for the ride from?)  I'm aiming to set off from Witham at about 6 to 6:30am if anyone fancies joining me for some or all of the route.

The Retiree

« Reply #2499 on: 30 May, 2017, 07:26:57 pm »
Hello, this Friday (2nd) I'm taking a day off and plan the ride my Moletrap Loop which includes lunch at The Moletrap pub (can you see where I got the name for the ride from?)  I'm aiming to set off from Witham at about 6 to 6:30am if anyone fancies joining me for some or all of the route.
I love the Moletrap, reminds me very much of The Cats at Woodham Walter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk