Author Topic: Lightweight cafe lock - 62 grammes  (Read 5994 times)

Re: Lightweight cafe lock - 62 grammes
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 09:49:57 am »
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 10:54:03 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ottolock/ottolocktm-the-go-anywhere-cinch-lock-for-bikes-an looks to be an interesting option.

Thank you for posting that. For me, that hits the mark for being portable and potentially offer more of a challenge to opportunists than my current lightweight cable lock. Still just a deterrent, but for typical cafe/shop stops in low risk areas it should suffice. Completely unproven though, but then that's the security industry for you. Not the lightest at a quoted 'under 115g' but in my view nobody would notice the difference between that and something 50g lighter when out on a typical ride.

I'm in. Cable lock weight defeating cutters is good enough for me. Shipping to the UK is a bit fierce thobut.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 11:17:36 am »
Tell me about it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 11:37:23 am »
I've got two different lightweight cafe locks, for a total weight of about 100g. One is bright yellow, the other is very discrete.

Hopefully a thief won't notice the second lock - when they try and ride off and fall over it'll be completely obvious that the bike is being nicked.

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 01:05:28 pm »
I've got two different lightweight cafe locks, for a total weight of about 100g. One is bright yellow, the other is very discrete.

Hopefully a thief won't notice the second lock - when they try and ride off and fall over it'll be completely obvious that the bike is being nicked.

Don't count on it.  My bike got stolen in Southampton with a bus shelter audience and noisy Sainsbury security man. Nobody saw a think in the 10 minutes it took for the bike to be stolen.

And what makes you think that bike thieves ride the bikes away?  It's been known for motorised transport to be used.

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »
I've got one of these: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.surelock.air.loop/576/54708/

Just weighed it on the kitchen scales and it's 47g. (I didn't buy it for the weight, but for the size; I wanted something I could stick in a pocket easily without it taking up valuable jelly baby space. The lock I use in actual high-risk areas is something like 2.2kg though!)

Consider yourself very lucky then. Two Audax bikes rehomed by the light fingered in a year.

Yep, me too. Rate it highly.

Still not had me bike nicked.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 02:11:11 pm »
Can someone please assure me that modern combination locks are not easy to crack by feeling for a change of resistance as you turn the dials while pulling on the cable/whatever?

The memory of that from olden days has put me off ever since, but perhaps it's time to reevaluate.
●●●  My eBay items & cycle computer mini magnets  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »
A 3x10 lock is quite crackable by a patient scrote with no tools or cunning techniques. Go up to 4x10 and he/she needs considerably more patience/time (but still doable, obvs).

Dunno how large a number of comb's is available - I've only ever owned 3x10, 4x10, and 4x6. IIRC!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 11:42:44 am »
I think I should get a cafe lock.

I hauled a 1.7kg lock to malham and back. Only used it to lock my bike up outside a cafe in Ilkley while I waited for a train.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 12:03:07 pm »
I've got one of these: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.surelock.air.loop/576/54708/

Just weighed it on the kitchen scales and it's 47g. (I didn't buy it for the weight, but for the size; I wanted something I could stick in a pocket easily without it taking up valuable jelly baby space. The lock I use in actual high-risk areas is something like 2.2kg though!)

Still still not had me bike nicked.

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »

Me neither. I did manage to leave my cafe lock on a train, though. :facepalm: I've replaced it with the BBB version, because (1) it was marginally cheaper at the time and (2) it's black rather than grey!

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 08:07:48 am »
I'm actually interested in getting an Ottolock (the 30"/76mm version) and perhaps a mount, though put off by the $35 (or $33 for UPS) postage to the UK, however I did some experiments on the website and you can send up to 3 Ottolocks to the UK for the same $35 courier price (3 days delivery) and 4 or more will still go out at the slower $33 UPS rate. Would anyone be interested in a group buy? I would be happy to organise it. Even if there's just 3 of us interested, around $11.50 postage (just under £9), sounds a lot better than $35! If anyone is interested, send me a PM.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 12:20:00 pm »

Me neither. I did manage to leave my cafe lock on a train, though. :facepalm: I've replaced it with the BBB version, because (1) it was marginally cheaper at the time and (2) it's black rather than grey!

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 04:53:53 pm »
Okay, am thinking about putting together a DIY cafe lock before the feedback on the Ottolock is out. I want something that has a coated cable, rather than bare wire, as don't want to risk scratching the frame. The lock itself is, of course, uncoated metal, but it should be easy enough not to let that bang on the frame.

Was thinkng of using this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NOTQ5S/

and this lock, though am not 100% if it's large enough for the cable or not (or even too large!)?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007XBDZBA/

The lock itself is 53g, less if I get the smaller version - you can see the range of available sizes here: https://www.abus.com/uk/Home-Security/Padlocks/TITALIUM/64-TITALIUM/(variant)/56186

I prefer keys to combination locks, always have keys on me anyway.

Does this combo look viable?

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:03 pm »
My cafe lock is a cable and padlock, though a heavier grade than that.

What I did was get a padlock with a longer shackle, so I could put the lock round the chain & large chainring whilst still securing the ends of the cable round frame/wheel/object. The (untested) theory is that a cut cable leaves the bike still needing to be carried.

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21:28 pm »
The (untested) theory is that a cut cable leaves the bike still needing to be carried.

I think you should test the theory that a bike can't be pedalled with a padlock on the chainring.   ;)

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 07:30:26 pm »
Variation on that theme: Small luggage padlock through a link in the chain.  Probably best not to use it at the top of a hill.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 10:26:38 pm »
My cafe lock is a cable and padlock, though a heavier grade than that.

Heavier grade padlock, or cable or both?

Which padlock from this Abus range (click on "variants") would be nearer to the grade that you went for, as these ones are meant to be strong, but light?: https://www.abus.com/uk/Home-Security/Padlocks/TITALIUM/64-TITALIUM/(variant)/56186

What gauge cable did you go for? Thicker than 4mm? Obviously the cable needs to be able to fit into the lock's shackle...

What I did was get a padlock with a longer shackle, so I could put the lock round the chain & large chainring whilst still securing the ends of the cable round frame/wheel/object. The (untested) theory is that a cut cable leaves the bike still needing to be carried.

Interesting idea! There's a few Abus ones in the range above with a longer shackle, though it's possible a longer shackle might be more easily forced.

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:51 pm »
The (untested) theory is that a cut cable leaves the bike still needing to be carried.

I think you should test the theory that a bike can't be pedalled with a padlock on the chainring.   ;)

Probably hard to pedal if you have a front derailleur (the bike I'm thinking of using the lock with doesn't)

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 10:36:41 pm »
Surely if the padlock comes in from the circumference of the chainring then you won't be able to pedal front derailleur or not?

Well, you could pedal half a stroke, back pedal and repeat but you won't be going anywhere fast.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:45 am »
You lot need to go to nicer cafes.

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2017, 11:22:49 am »
I played with putting a padlock thru chain+ring a few times.

Then I concluded that eventually I was bound to end up going into the café with oil all over some item where it shouldn't be. (probably OK in my type of caff, but not Dale's )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »
Heavier grade padlock, or cable or both?
Both, I should think.

The cable's a self-coiling one, about 5mm plus coating, and the padlock is a brass Masterlock one from B&Q.

Well, you could pedal half a stroke, back pedal and repeat but you won't be going anywhere fast.
This

Oil can be a problem. I have a rag in my saddlebag side pocket that I use before the oil transfers from the shackle to anywhere else.
I don't always do the chainring thing - just where I stop somewhere slightly more dodgy than I'd expected when leaving home. Otherwise, it's normal use.

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 02:52:01 pm »
Never bother locking any bike where I live.  If it gets nicked it will be the headline on the radio news.

Motorcyclists leave their expensive lids hangng from a wing mirror.

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2017, 02:55:55 pm »
If I left a bike unlocked in Oxford town centre it would be gone in less than 5 minutes. I even had my (non quick release) seat post and (5 year old) Brooks saddle nicked when I was in a shop for just 10 minutes...