Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 2205 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Brake pads
« on: 02 May, 2016, 06:55:58 pm »
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for Avid BB7s pads?
We're due to ride up Buttertubs in couple of weeks time, which won't trouble the brakes a whole lot... but apparently the descent on the far side is pretty fast. Given that the pads on the tandem are pretty well worn I thought it would be a good time to get some new ones worn in.

I've been considering Ceramic Pro pads from discobrakes, but it's hard to find any reviews. Does anyone else have any favorites? The priority is resistance to fade, followed by braking effectivenes. Nothing else really matters.

Thanks!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Re: Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2016, 07:48:06 pm »
If you are not planning to do long and fast descents on a regular basis, then any pad will do the job. On that special descent you are talking about, just stop in the middle of the descent, take a five minutes break to let the brakes cool down, and everything will be okay.

The priority is resistance to fade,

Brake fading is mainly due to the boiing of the fluid in hydraulic brakes. Cable actuated brakes are less likely to fade.

Morat

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2016, 09:29:08 pm »
Excellent advice, thank you. I think the halfway stop will be the most sensible option - we're not racing afterall.
On the other hand we do ride in a hilly area and stress the brakes, including total brake fade on one very memorable ride so I will keep looking for pads that can tolerate very high temperatures.

« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2016, 09:30:00 pm »
Recent riding in Yorkshire Dales resulted in the front organic disc pads on our tandem disintegrating with heat on repeated descents! (the brakes are Shimano ZEE on the front) This wasn't helped by the rear brake (old Avid Code) not working properly! We decided to replace the front pads with metal sintered pads to resist heat - the rear brakes are a work in progress!! I hope it went well for you - exhillerating riding up there!

Morat

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2016, 11:27:20 pm »
Yep, we made it up the climb and enjoyed the rest of it. There was no sign of brake fade on the way down. In the end I compromised by fitting Ceramic Pro pads on the front and leaving the rears alone because they were nowhere near as worn. I've tried explaining to the Captain that the rear brake is the most effective on a tandem but he's clearly not listening. Anyway, between the two disks and the drag brake (front V brake) there was enough heat dissipation to cope. Thank $Deity.

The Dales are fantastic aren't they, especially with working brakes :)