Author Topic: Repair ( ?) tyre tread deep cut  (Read 7446 times)

Repair ( ?) tyre tread deep cut
« on: 12 May, 2016, 07:56:48 am »
On nice new tyre (ready for BCM this w/e  ::-) ) had a sharp cut , akin to a hole punched thro` rubber and casing. About a 2m triangular cut in rubber and 1 mm hole in casing. On top of tread area.

Thinking about filling tread hole with rubber solution and elec tape on inside. Any advice on this? And if repairable run on rear only ?

thanks
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: Repair ( ?) tyre tread deep cut
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:11:34 am »
I've often put inner tube patches on the inside of cuts to the outer and it's worked OK

Normally for cuts though rather than holes.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:23:04 am »
The problem is when the inner tube pokes out through the hole and gets scuffed on the road resulting in a blowout.

I'd suggest tubeless tyre patch on inside of tyre after having superglued the cut.

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:34:36 am »
The problem is when the inner tube pokes out through the hole and gets scuffed on the road resulting in a blowout.

I'd suggest tubeless tyre patch on inside of tyre after having superglued the cut.

is superglue though flexible enough to deal with tyre flexing as it rolls ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:42:09 am »
Deflate tyre, glue, and hold together until stuck.  Then patch on inside.

Or get a new tyre  ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:43:51 am »
Get a new tyre.

Or if you are like me find a less worn one in the pile of tyres in the garage

Samuel D

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:44:21 am »
What’s the tyre, out of interest? Do you know what cut it?

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:16:56 am »
1mm cut on the inside? That's not very big.  or did you mean cm?

A normal inner tube patch will stick to a tyre ok, using normal inner tube glue. I'd use one of those and your plan of shoving some glue in the cut won't do any harm either.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:24:56 am »

is superglue though flexible enough to deal with tyre flexing as it rolls ?

I've seen computer techs repairing printer drive belts with super glue. Cyanolite.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2016, 12:32:25 pm »
Start the BCM on a perfect tyre.
One less thing to worry about.
Put the expense down to 'bad luck'.

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2016, 01:51:31 pm »
What’s the tyre, out of interest? Do you know what cut it?

the excellent but slightly notorious Open Pave; think it was a triangular small piece quartzite washed off forestry track onto lane.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2016, 02:50:27 pm »
I've found inner tube repair patches, insulating/duct tape useless for tyre repair as they don't take much pressure and eventually get nibbled by the cut.  Rubber solution has been no good there either.  Casing from an old lightweight racing tyre makes a good permanent repair, though I wouldn't bother doing anything at all for a 1mm hole.

I used to accumulate loads of small cuts with old Open Corsa tyres, which I rarely booted.  Superglue held with some, but usually didn't work for long.  None of the cuts ever got longer, though roughness or the nibbling effect caused the occasional slow puncture.  Ultra light tubes are particularly vulnerable.  The high price put me off replacing the tyres as soon as I should've.  It wasn't seriously dangerous anyway, especially as I made sure the front tyre was relatively good.  Newer versions have been more cut resistant.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2016, 05:38:11 pm »
Reckon then I`ll just patch, put on rear and try get 600km out of it  :thumbsup: I`d planned on carrying a spare tyre anyaway and as it`s an almost new Open Pave do want get some use out of it

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:45:58 pm »
Tubeless patch and glue would sort it out, but having tubes I doubt you have those at your disposal.

« Reply #14 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:55:02 pm »
ended up with Araldite and a self adhesive patch which seems quite secure

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2016, 06:51:02 am »

It will now. Give it 100 km.

« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2016, 02:33:24 pm »

30km  ::-) cut fully reopened as star shaped puncture = changed tyre

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2016, 03:18:00 pm »

Better to discover that now than 30km into the Bryan Chapman.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2016, 03:43:21 pm »
If cut "opened" means it went back to how it was rather than got bigger, then theres still no need to bin the tyre for a 1mm hole.  You haven't tried patching it properly yet (or simply ignoring it).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 14 May, 2016, 07:05:33 am »
Superglue works for a bit but you probably need a boot on the inside.  The Park tyre boot is just flexible plastic but antyhing works as long as it's thin and resistant to being shredded by the friction between tube and tyre.  Cardboard lasts about five miles because of this.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #20 on: 14 May, 2016, 07:16:06 am »

Well that's what happens when you stick the patch on the tread... ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #21 on: 14 May, 2016, 08:57:38 am »
A 1mm cut in the carcass ought not to compromise the tyre greatly; I'd probably run with that on the rear (perhaps with something to help stop nibbling and a heavier tube) for local runs, commuting, training etc.

FWIW I am in the midst of some 'experiments' with tyre boots.  I've used all kinds of things as tyre boots in the past but many that are strong enough to resist 'nibbling' (or other failure in or near the damaged area) can chafe the tube at the edges of the boot inside the tyre, or don't flex in quite the right way with the rest of the tyre.

So my dream has always been to find a fabric that is thin enough that it won't cause the tyre to flex weirdly or chafe the tube at the edges of the boot, but that is strong enough that it will work without nibbling damage and that can be stuck well enough that it 'becomes part of the tyre' and will move with it. [Repositioning loose boots inside tyres when you puncture is a PITA; if the boot is part of the tyre one shouldn't have to do that.]

The current experiments involve using spray-on adhesive to secure several layers of thin but strong fabric (e.g. cut from umbrellas) inside the tyre. If the boot is large enough then the load can be transferred from the carcass to the boot in shear, well away from the damaged part of the tyre.

The method (such as it is at present) is to 'bias cut'  cut the booting fabric so that the warp and weft match closely to the bias angle of the original tyre carcass.

A smallish patch first covers the hole (the idea being that any nibbling damage ought to be confined to this layer, at least to start with), and then a second, much larger patch (about twice the size, or up to ~ 4") to cover the affected area and to take the load out of the damaged part of carcass. The edge of the boot can be run right round the tyre bead, which ought to help it stay put should the adhesive fail.

A generous layer of talc ought to stop the adhesive from bonding to the tube.

Results so far are encouraging; after trying it on a few small cuts etc it seems to work OK; you can just see that there is a boot in the tyre (the carcass is slightly narrower where the boot is fitted) but there isn't any sensation that there is a major difference in the way the tyre flexes; on a perfectly smooth surface you can't feel the boot (which you certainly can with thicker booting materials).

I decided to try something a bit more ambitious recently; I have a folding Kojak with a pencil-sized hole in the sidewall that I am running on the rear of an old MTB that is being used for local runs. This is a seriously damaged tyre (the boot is effectively the entire sidewall in the damaged area... :o) and the stress in the carcass is significant; ~45mm wide with ~60psi in it is similar stress to ~120psi in a 23mm tyre. Yet the booted tyre is not badly deformed and runs nicely. I've only done a few tens of miles on it so far, but I'm optimistic it is going to work OK. Only time will tell if it is really durable or not, but things are looking good so far.

cheers

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:18:52 am »
Cardboard lasts about five miles because of this.

I once improvised a tyre boot from a bit of cardboard about 20km into a 200km audax, when I eventually worked out what had caused the three punctures I'd already suffered (misaligned brake block had rubbed through the sidewall). I'm not sure it lasted even five miles. Luckily, JJ otp came to the rescue with a proper tyre boot and the rest of the ride passed without incident.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2016, 01:05:57 pm »
I had a 1 inch gash in a sidewall caused by a broken bottle on a psyclepath (the route into town goes through some do-as-ya-likey areas).  Booted it with an Embassy No.1 packet I found nearby.  It lasted only a few miles - maybe only three - but got me within a mile of home.  I walked the last bit in my socks to save the cleats.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2016, 02:52:46 pm »
I'm thinking any material better than tyre casing for patching a tyre could be used as tyre casing itself, and it's unlikely that any of us will develop a better tyre casing than the tyre manufacturers.  It may be thicker than we'd like, but that's the price for strength and durability.  Actually it's minimal with lightweight racing tyres.  Just strip the rubber off, then you have your thin, soft, very strong and flexible material.

I make my boots from old Open Corsas, stuck down with a few spots of superglue for convenience while fitting the tyre.  Air pressure does the rest.  I've tried covering with duct tape to eliminate any slight chafing at the edges, but the tape eventually disintegrates.  I might get a tubeless repair kit to see how they compare as well (even though I don't do tubeless).

The Park tyre boot is just flexible plastic

The Park TB2 includes a woven fabric layer, unlike the original TB1, to make it durable enough for permanent repair, though it's still not officially meant for that.  The relatively sharp edges could be the real problem in the long run, and they're not as flexible as tyre casing.  The self-adhesion makes them convenient for emergencies anyway.