Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175805 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #500 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:45:47 pm »
Ok.  What are the  details we need to send to?  Don't send me  to a website.  I cant be dealing with  a website on this phone.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #501 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:38:00 am »
I've PM'd Basil with the details from the website ( http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/donate )

They don't need to be repeated/posted publicly here.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #502 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:38:18 am »
Oh, and I'll start up my standing order again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #503 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:41:59 am »
 :thumbsup:

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #504 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:16:28 pm »
Oh, and I'll start up my standing order again.
Done also.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #505 on: 20 July, 2017, 09:23:40 am »
And another.

« Reply #506 on: 20 July, 2017, 06:44:16 pm »
Has 'Spot' not been fed today?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #507 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:41:16 am »
Has 'Spot' not been fed today?

Looks like it's not worked for a couple of days.

« Reply #508 on: 21 July, 2017, 07:01:29 pm »
He's up & running riding again today  - off to the 24 Hr time trials.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #509 on: 25 July, 2017, 01:04:21 pm »
Where he seems to have been quite successful.
Getting there...

« Reply #510 on: 26 July, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »
Where he seems to have been quite successful.

388 miles

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #511 on: 27 July, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
Team champions
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #512 on: 30 July, 2017, 09:21:50 am »
Week 15:

This was an interesting week not least because Steve posted update 12 to youtube.  Au

1740 down vs the Coker line
1280 ahead of the Searvogel line
1571 ahead of the Godwin line

Sore tween  please could you give an update on his mileage and how far ahead of the Godwin mileage he is at the moment.  Many thanks

Phil W

« Reply #513 on: 31 July, 2017, 10:18:13 pm »
Steve was fed in the Spalding control yesterday. Piccie on FB, Steves account. Shared to LEL group.

« Reply #514 on: 01 August, 2017, 01:37:43 pm »
Week 15:

This was an interesting week not least because Steve posted update 12 to youtube.  Au

1740 down vs the Coker line
1280 ahead of the Searvogel line
1571 ahead of the Godwin line

Sore tween  please could you give an update on his mileage and how far ahead of the Godwin mileage he is at the moment.  Many thanks

Steve rode 6603 miles in July. That was Steve's weakest month so far with an average of 213.0 miles/ day.

He is 2019 miles ahead of the Godwin-line
and   2706 miles beheind the Coker-line.

Steve's monthly Strava-data:

Month   hours/ day      miles/ hour   miles/ day
Mrz 17   14,2             15,9                   224,7
Apr 17   13,6             16,1                   219,7
Mai 17   13,8             16,2                   222,7
Jun 17   13,5             16,0                   216,1
Jul 17    13,4             15,9                   213,0
(All data taken from Strava, rides until July 31st)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #515 on: 01 August, 2017, 02:33:48 pm »
Getting slower in the summer?  That doesn't look good.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #516 on: 02 August, 2017, 06:32:39 am »

I thought it weird too... but then again, you need to be a bit weird to do these sorts of things.

He had some minor health problems earlier in July, which probably account for the lower mileage. Certainly it looks like he has completely given up on the record and he is focussed on beating Godwin only.
I suppose if one day they split the record between open roads and close circuit, then his attempt might be vindicated... as things stand, it is difficult to see a point in it TBH

« Reply #517 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:12:20 am »

I thought it weird too... but then again, you need to be a bit weird to do these sorts of things.

He had some minor health problems earlier in July, which probably account for the lower mileage. Certainly it looks like he has completely given up on the record and he is focussed on beating Godwin only.
I suppose if one day they split the record between open roads and close circuit, then his attempt might be vindicated... as things stand, it is difficult to see a point in it TBH

I completely disagree with your last statement. 

He is on course for the second best year ever.   You might as well say there has been no point in the entire history of the year record other than Coker and her ride around Flatwoods.   Are we really now saying no one should bother with The Year unless they stage it on closed roads where they can enlist the help of local cyclists, friends and family?   If so that is a shame because that is not what The Year is about for me.   I'm not knocking Coker, but if you look at the history of the Year it is not always the record holders who have been the most interesting competitors.

If he sees this out and doesn't get slower then he will set several records for his gender and age.  It will also be a record on these shores and this continent.   

He's clearly learnt from his first attempt and got better while being more self sufficient.   I don't see anyone else out performing him other than Coker and I don't see anyone stepping up to do so.   Why is that?   Probably because Steve is doing about as well as you can do while keeping a more traditional approach to the record.    If you are funding him and do not think its worth it then by all means stop.   Otherwise, what more do you want from him?  The point of it for me is that he is doing it, he reignited it and its interesting.   Much more interesting than him working a normal job and not doing any of this.   If he beats Kurt then it could be the catalyst for him having a go on closed roads or for inspiring a younger, faster rider to beat the Coker record on these shores.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #518 on: 02 August, 2017, 10:17:16 am »

I completely disagree with your last statement. 

He is on course for the second best year ever.   You might as well say there has been no point in the entire history of the year record other than Coker and her ride around Flatwoods.   Are we really now saying no one should bother with The Year unless they stage it on closed roads where they can enlist the help of local cyclists, friends and family?   If so that is a shame because that is not what The Year is about for me.   I'm not knocking Coker, but if you look at the history of the Year it is not always the record holders who have been the most interesting competitors.

If he sees this out and doesn't get slower then he will set several records for his gender and age.  It will also be a record on these shores and this continent.   

He's clearly learnt from his first attempt and got better while being more self sufficient.   I don't see anyone else out performing him other than Coker and I don't see anyone stepping up to do so.   Why is that?   Probably because Steve is doing about as well as you can do while keeping a more traditional approach to the record.    If you are funding him and do not think its worth it then by all means stop.   Otherwise, what more do you want from him?  The point of it for me is that he is doing it, he reignited it and its interesting.   Much more interesting than him working a normal job and not doing any of this.   If he beats Kurt then it could be the catalyst for him having a go on closed roads or for inspiring a younger, faster rider to beat the Coker record on these shores.

I agree with you...

Correct me if I am wrong, but this started as an attempt to set a new record, knowing that AC was going to set a new record in the meantime (I don't think he budgeted for her to blow up). Now a new record seems out of reach and it has been so for quite some time, so it is not clear to me what has become of this attempt. Age category record? Male only record? British Record?

It is out of question that many people, including myself, will see SA attempt as being a more realistic proposition than looping in a closed circuit, but as things stand, it is not a record attempt.

I still enjoy following it on Strava...  :)

Maybe a couple of lines on his website to explain how things are panning out and what is the new target would go a long way

Martin

« Reply #519 on: 02 August, 2017, 12:43:11 pm »
I for one would rather spend a year working (even if it was stacking shelves) than riding 200+ miles a day so if Steve is willing to keep the attempt going and peeps continue to fund him good for him, he's pared his expenses right down now from what I can see with loops from home almost every day rather than long transits with overnight stops. Someone just needs to state what the attempt now is.

« Reply #520 on: 02 August, 2017, 01:00:58 pm »
I understand what you are saying.... but its pretty easy to see what the attempt is from the number of miles he is doing every day.   He is looking to beat Kurt and take the records that will come with that.

I don't get why he needs to make a statement about it?

I too would rather work - but that's the point isn't it?   Not many people have the mentality to do this and Steve is a few months away from writing himself into ultra distance history.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #521 on: 02 August, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »

I don't get why he needs to make a statement about it?

He doesn't have to do anything... but that's not the point. He might WANT to do something about it thought... he has a lot of followers, but he is not Jesus and cannot rely on a number of disciples writing his memoir for the generations to come. It's up to him to keep the ball rolling (and the funding that comes with it). I would like to think that he has a plan that extends beyond March the3rd 2018... I think a lot when I ride and I am sure he does too... maybe a book? Whichever the plan is, it's easier to sell something that has clarity rather than something which is unclear.

I would buy his book (provided he doesn't spend a whole chapter talking about maggots in his rubbish bin  :demon:  ) if there is an interesting narrative... at the moment I don't have clear what this story is about.

At no point I had the impression he was after AC record (except after day one, when he posted a mega 500 km ride), but that's what his website suggests... I quote:

"Steve set off at a minute past midnight on the 4th of March 2017.  This was the start of his third attempt on the HAM'R record"

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #522 on: 02 August, 2017, 04:16:51 pm »
At no point I had the impression he was after AC record (except after day one, when he posted a mega 500 km ride), but that's what his website suggests... I quote:

"Steve set off at a minute past midnight on the 4th of March 2017.  This was the start of his third attempt on the HAM'R record"
My understanding - possibly wrong - of the HAMR rules, is that he doesn't need to beat AC's distance to set a new record.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #523 on: 02 August, 2017, 04:49:25 pm »
If Steve's ahead of the Searvogel line (?), he's in line for the mens & age group HAM'R, & Tommy Godwin's record on UK roads - which will all be a big achievement.  I guess he knows that the Coker record is probably out of reach.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #524 on: 02 August, 2017, 05:44:42 pm »
Yebbut who cares about age group records?  They're something to keep older triathletes happy; medals for everyone.