Author Topic: Essex R&R 100 & 200km, 6th August 2016  (Read 4062 times)

Re: Essex R&R 100 & 200km, 6th August 2016
« Reply #25 on: 07 August, 2016, 08:29:13 am »
I planned on riding with Big Saxon for a team duo, but formed an alliance with Andy (?) From Ivinghoe Velo. My right leg was in pain (from 20 miles of walking a hilly coast path?) With the pace, which made the 'spoons stop easier. Rode the 2nd half mainly on my own (apart from a stint after Waitrose with the Mercian rider), enjoying looking at the surrounding scenery, old buildings and churches. Great controls, and loadsa food at base (thanks to whoever left the last slice of veggie pizza for me). Thanks to Grant and helpers, and to Big Saxon for saving my leg with a lift home.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 07 August, 2016, 08:37:25 am »
Who won  ;D and what was their winning time?

« Reply #27 on: 07 August, 2016, 08:46:43 am »
Who won? I haven't entered a race or time trial since I joined audax. You'd have finished first if you hadn't stopped for toasties, ice cream, tea, coke and beer 😉
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2016, 09:11:54 am »
I know, I know. My lack of competitive spirit lets me down so often  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #29 on: 07 August, 2016, 10:00:50 am »
Mr Willard was last to leave and first back on the 200, but he didn't 'win' for having a time of 8 hours exactly :P
The mildly irritating thing was that Tim looked (almost) as fresh at Arrivee as he did starting  :demon:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #30 on: 07 August, 2016, 11:05:27 am »
8 hours, blimey, that is impressive. Well done Tim!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #31 on: 07 August, 2016, 12:20:20 pm »
Excellent day out. Good route along less travelled roads. Good company .. thx Mel, Brian Steven .. downside to company is that we spend far too long enjoying the controls. The Finchingfield control is a huge improvement on the traditional one .. (over the green.. and packed with motor bikes).. this had really fast service, great cakes and great staff. Compasses for a quick pint too was good .. left to myself I would have pressed on the last 15kms .. but the shandy went down well. Catering at start/ finish was superb. Many many thx to Huggy and team for a great day out .. only trivial suggestion .. an 8.00 start would have given me an extra 30 minutes in bed !!

I did have a minor oddity .. I loaded the wrong gpx track .. meant i had to use a route sheet .. reminded me of how I first did audax rides .. but this was a superbly accurate route sheet, spot on distances and full of extra guidance so that you would have had to have been asleep to have gone astray.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #32 on: 07 August, 2016, 02:37:23 pm »
Catering at start/ finish was superb. Many many thx to Huggy and team for a great day out .. only trivial suggestion .. an 8.00 start would have given me an extra 30 minutes in bed !!

I did have a minor oddity .. I loaded the wrong gpx track .. meant i had to use a route sheet .. reminded me of how I first did audax rides .. but this was a superbly accurate route sheet, spot on distances and full of extra guidance so that you would have had to have been asleep to have gone astray.
Thanks for the feedback, FB, nice to hear.
I did think carefully about the start time of the 215km ride and because I wanted to allow for full value enjoyment of the countryside and cafes I decided to run it as BR and with the over distance that meant a possible 15 hours and 22:33 finish.  As it turned out most were back within 13 hours with only a handful taking absolute full value.  Therefore changing it to BRM, especially in a PBP year should work still, then the choice is to schedule it before or after LEL or PBP for a qualifier or a leg loosener.

I was very happy with my first foray in to organisation despite the hard work before and during the event.  I knew what I was signing up for, not sure some of my volunteered helpers did though  ::-)
With 101 entries across the two rides and 84 out on the road on Saturday it was very well supported for a new event, thanks everyone for turning out  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 07 August, 2016, 03:01:48 pm »
Perhaps those of your helpers who found it hard work should try riding the event next year as the perceived wisdom seems to be that audax riding is easier than audax volunteering  ;D

Still, their hard work was much appreciated  :-*

« Reply #34 on: 07 August, 2016, 06:00:21 pm »
Many thanks to Huggy and all the helpers for such a great tour of the Essex (and a tiny bit of Suffolk) countryside.

Feeling a little sore after taking part in my first tandem 200 DIY on Thursday, I was hoping for a fuss-free ride, but having a saddle rail snap in Tillingham (80k) forced a unscheduled stop a few miles up the road at the MOT centre in Mayland to get the rail welded up.

20 mins later, back on the road...

Shortly after I bumped into Andrew and rode along for a while chatting away and trying to lean forwards and nurse the repair, then Steve and Giles (who was taking part in his first audax) caught us and I dropped off the back with Giles who was suffering his own bike related woes with a freehub the sometimes found drive, with the plan just to finish.

My saddle weld and Giles's freehub managed to just hold out enough to get us back around 8.30pm, I'm sure we would have been Lantern Rouge if the pub stop at 200k hadn't strategically lured many others to stop for extra refreshment.
All the best, Paul.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:49:21 pm »
Yes indeed, well done to Giles on his first Audax and to Cold Snail for getting a repair and carrying on.  :thumbsup:

Looks like the Compasses was very well placed to consolidate the field [the back of it at least]. Good thinking Huggy! It was a very civilised stop for us on the Helpers' Ride too!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #36 on: 08 August, 2016, 03:47:41 pm »

As far as Strava is concerned, some guy named Tom.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure that (on ACME rules, wt least) chief and I "won", bcause we had a more than three hour beer stop at the Compasses.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #37 on: 08 August, 2016, 03:59:13 pm »

As far as Strava is concerned, some guy named Tom.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure that (on ACME rules, wt least) chief and I "won", bcause we had a more than three hour beer stop at the Compasses.
Tom was probably back home, showered, and thinking what to do with his afternoon by the time you reached the Compasses.  He also stopped at the cafes in Stock & Finchingfield and had a pint in the Compasses  :o

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 08 August, 2016, 07:59:35 pm »
^ Sounds like he's an ideal recruit...what's his current club?...Goes off to check the start sheet: Yikes, no club membership, just AUK, send him an invitation to ACME double quick Huggy!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #39 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:08:18 am »
Heard good things about this one (Y) Who's in this year?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #40 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:58:27 pm »
Maybe. It's a good event, but I'm on camp with the Scouts till the previous day.