Author Topic: 'Veggie' meat dishes  (Read 5814 times)

Re: 'Veggie' meat dishes
« Reply #25 on: 22 March, 2017, 06:54:53 pm »
Quorn isn't slime mould, it's a mycoprotein grown in vats. Sounds horrible, but hey, that's how we make beer. Of course, mycoprotein doesn't sound as nice. Before I fell off the veggie wagon, I found it useful, sometimes I liked a kind of meaty texture in chili and things. Yeah, yeah, proper vegetarians and all that.

Quorn isn't strictly speaking vegetarian, same applies to all fungi as they exist as a third separate kingdom, they aren't animals but they aren't plants either.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #26 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
We're all Opisthokonts though.

I think, unless things have changed since I was an evil molecular geneticist, there are three domains (archaea, bacteria, and eukaryota). There's six kingdoms/groups/supergroups (depending on your taxonomic bent) in the eukaryota (animals, plants, fungi, brown algae and their drinking buddies, amoeba and slime moulds, and a couple of different groups of protista that we used to merge together but it turned out that when we looked that their genetics and rRNA they were really rather different*, other than being mutually small and squishy. Very small squishiness turned out not be a very useful taxonomic characteristic. Fungi are more closely related to animals than plants, but that doesn't mean much.

*six is a bit arbitrary, people keep finding things that don't fit, but then taxonomical boundaries require some arbitrariness. And there's a movement against strict definitions and hierarchies as it's all a bit Victorian, and life is, it seems, a rather messy affair. And what the fuck we do with colossal bellends like Piers Morgan and Katie Hopkins, no one knows, but we're sure no taxonomical groups want them.

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 23 March, 2017, 11:20:11 am »
I like the veggie sausages partly because I avoid pigs as part of my not-eating-cute-animals policy and partly because they taste nice.

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking the taste / texture of meat type items without actually eating meat. I didn't give up meat because I disliked the taste / texture (although i don't miss the gristle little hard white bits and fat that Quorn lacks), it was mostly for health / compassion grounds (although the latest Vegan posters would dispute this)

and also it was just after my (German born, lived in the war) Mum had made a turkey curry about 10 days after Christmas, the people who make mechanically recovered meat would have been  proud of her!  :sick:

anyone remember SosMix? that really was horrible, they also made a version for shaping into bacon-stylee burgers