Author Topic: Why is cling film such a GRRRRR?  (Read 9368 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Why is cling film such a GRRRRR?
« on: 12 August, 2016, 06:50:19 pm »
Please advise how to NOT get into all sorts of unravelling nightmares. Is there a YACF tutorial? I always end up stomping up and down and pulling my imaginary bunches (we're talking hairstyles, but I'm a bloke and I ain't got no Frank Zappa MAN ones neither)

Is there a reliable dispenser? That doesn't get the ends curled up on themselves? Is there a technique I should attempt to master?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Why is cling film such a GRRRRR?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2016, 06:54:10 pm »
Speak to Suzie Creamcheese.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
Speak to Suzie Creamcheese.

I think she might have passed on too?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »
I think there were at least three Suzy Creamcheeses.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2016, 07:29:08 pm »
Came across Frank once after his show at the Hammersmith Odeon sometime last century. We had gone for 'drinks' in a members' only club - the 'Zanzibar' just off Southampton Row. Frank turned up with a couple of chicks and a minder. Sat in the adjoining booth to us. One of our party was just 13 years old and my stepson who just happened to be Frank's biggest fan ever. Young Nick could sing and recite every FZ song - he got hooked when he was 7 years old and especially loved the one about Ronnie saving his 'numies' on the window.

We selfishly interrupted Frank and claimed the now very tired young Nick was his biggest fan ever. Frank looked over and said "if that young dude is real, I want to shake his hand"

At which point the young Nick hid under the table - too overwhelmed by the experience. Nick's 51 years old now and regrets that chickening out moment.

Interestingly, the not so young Nick many years later got permission from Gail Zappa (before she died) to include a cover version of "Titties and Beer" on one of his live albums

But this has nothing to do with cling film!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »
I have witnessed Nick Slope Harper doing "Titties And BEER" when I was dragged along to see his old man by a merciless Miss von Brandenburg, and it was the high point of the evening.

Anyway, it's the late Roy Orbison who was the expert on cling film.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2016, 07:53:03 pm »
"In this heartwarming seasonal tale Roy is now my neighbour in Dusseldorf and often pops round to my house to borrow kitchen necessities.

It is Christmas eve and Roy has popped round to enjoy a warming glass of Glühwein and help me affix tinsel to Jetta.

'Ach,' says Roy suddenly, 'I find I have forgotten to obtain a Christmas present for my Mother who is wintering at Baden.'

I sip my Glühwein carefully and remark, 'This will lead to familial tensions and unseasonal strife.'

'It is so,' says Roy.

'You know,' I say thoughtfully. 'It strikes me that the best gift a son can give his mother is himself.'

'What you say has a certain validity yet how are we to dramatize this concept in such a way that my mother will not merely feel gypped out of a present?'

'Perhaps if we were to wrap you in Christmas wrapping paper and convey you to Baden.'

'Also,' says Roy, rising. 'You will wrap me in Christmas wrapping paper and convey me to Baden at once.'

'Regrettably I find we have run out of wrapping paper and the shops have now closed. Logically some substitute will have to be found.'

'Yes, that is logical, but I cannot think what.' Roy looks around the room seeking that in which he may be wrapped.

My mouth is dry. I tickle Jetta's paws idly and say, 'You know, I believe I may have some cling-film in the kitchen.'

'Then the situation is saved. You will wrap me in cling-film and have me stowed beneath my mother's Christmas tree.'

I bow my assent and make to the kitchen. But when I open the cupboard I turn ashen and begin to quiver. For the cupboard is bare. The cling-film has been used, all the rolls of it.

In alarm, I return to the living-room and open the other clingfilm cupboards but it is the same story. I check the cache in my bedroom wardrobe and again there is none. I ransack the entire house from top to bottom. I look for the emergency rolls I keep hidden in the toilet cistern and inside lampshades. Everywhere there is the same horrible dearth of cling-film. My palms sweat. I wish to die.

'Roy,' I say, 'I find I was mistaken. Due to an oversight I have no cling-film in the house. I will not be able to wrap you in it. I am sorry, this has never happened before.'

'Also,' says Roy. 'Perhaps some brown parcel paper?'

'I would rather die than wrap you in brown parcel paper.' I am broken and pitiful.

And then it happens, the seasonal miracle. A cloud of soot billows from the fireplace and he comes down my chimney, that well-known man in red.

'Hello Santa,' I say. 'What are you doing in Dusseldorf?'

'Attending to the distribution of presents,' he says.

'Ah,' I say.

'You have been good this year,' he continues. 'You have been orderly and polite and have kept your shoes neatly arranged.'

I bow courteously. 'Good behaviour is its own reward.'

'Nevertheless I intend to give you a present.'

'May I enquire what?'

Santa Claus opens his sack, revealing dozens of silvery tubes. 'It is many rolls of cling-film.'

'Capital,' says Roy. 'Now you may commence.'

Trembling with anticipation, I take a roll from Santa's sack. I start at the feet and work my way up. I work with the craft and dexterity of an expert shopkeeper wrapping a purchase. Soon, Roy Orbison is completely wrapped in cling-film. I am filled with peace on earth and goodwill to all men. As a seasonal touch I drape him with tinsel.

'He is completely wrapped in Clingfilm,' I say to Santa.

'Ho,' says Santa, stroking his trademark white beard. 'So this is how it is. Is it that you like to wrap him as a present to the world?'

'Who can plumb the mysteries of the human heart?'

'Who indeed? I confess to being envious of him. In my long life I have wrapped many gifts and yet, ironically, I have never been wrapped.'

'Perhaps I might oblige? I have many rolls left.'

'Commence,' says Santa.

I start from his boots and work my way up. It takes a good half a roll to encompass his jolly round belly alone. Soon, Father Christmas is completely wrapped in clingfilm. It is not quite so good as wrapping Roy but it is enjoyable nonetheless and is certainly a feather in my cap.

'Both Father Christmas and Roy Orbison are completely wrapped in clingfilm,' I say to Jetta.

I place Santa next to Roy and stand in between them. With some difficulty I wrap all three of us up together as best I can. We enjoy a quiet but satisfying yuletide until people from the social services come to release us.

God Bless us one and all."

I see.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2016, 07:55:20 pm »
I have witnessed Nick Slope Harper doing "Titties And BEER" when I was dragged along to see his old man by a merciless Miss von Brandenburg, and it was the high point of the evening.

Both Gail and Dweezil approved of the most talented Harper's take/version :)

That reminds me of a dream I had walking arm in arm with Keith Richards across a huge empty maple floored ballroom in Brighton, on the way to the bar

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2016, 09:23:58 pm »
Is there a reliable dispenser? That doesn't get the ends curled up on themselves? Is there a technique I should attempt to master?

I believe you need one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSIdkNZr7YM

(One, or something similar, has just rocked up in the field next to where I'm staying and has just started the night shift...)

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2016, 09:34:47 pm »

I believe you need one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSIdkNZr7YM

(One, or something similar, has just rocked up in the field next to where I'm staying and has just started the night shift...)

Please be careful!  I'm now having horrible visions of you being found, mummified in plastic wrap after a tractor driver got careless!  :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2016, 10:10:12 pm »
It's like "Twin Peaks", only with cling film :D

« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2016, 09:11:26 am »
Bought a new dispenser t'other week from Lidl and it still gets itself matted.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #12 on: 13 August, 2016, 09:32:41 am »
Bought a new dispenser t'other week from Lidl and it still gets itself matted.

I was thinking of trying one of those - thanks for the warning. Glad I'm not the only one who struggles :'(

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 13 August, 2016, 10:29:30 am »

Oh my, what a site:

Hello, and welcome to my homepage. My name is Ulrich Haarbürste and I like to write stories about Roy Orbison being wrapped up in cling-film

<...>

To contact me:

Apologies, I have ceased answering mail personally
 because of weirdos

(my bold)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14 on: 13 August, 2016, 11:21:15 am »
"Ulrich" is really a chap called Mike Kelly, who has written some comparatively sane and quite funny Stuffs elsewhere on that site.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 13 August, 2016, 01:24:45 pm »
Has anyone ever experienced that trick where you stretch cling film across the top of the lavatory bowl?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16 on: 14 August, 2016, 05:56:54 pm »
Has anyone ever experienced that trick where you stretch cling film across the top of the lavatory bowl?

Have you ever heard of a spiral of silence?
Move Faster and Bake Things

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #17 on: 30 August, 2016, 07:23:12 am »
These just work. Open lid, pull film, close lid. Closing the lid cuts the film. Refillable, but you have to buy the branded re-fills. However, 60m is £2.50 so not worth worrying about.

The dispenser has plastic hinges, so I guess will wear out - but it hasn't yet.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=284068767&gclid=CjwKEAjwuo--BRDDws3x65LL7h8SJABEDuFRklazvCm0WAmvBs4Hsvc1lR64FBIcY9FH9eNU6p1WpxoCOq_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #18 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:49:27 am »
These just work. Open lid, pull film, close lid. Closing the lid cuts the film. Refillable, but you have to buy the branded re-fills. However, 60m is £2.50 so not worth worrying about.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=284068767&gclid=CjwKEAjwuo--BRDDws3x65LL7h8SJABEDuFRklazvCm0WAmvBs4Hsvc1lR64FBIcY9FH9eNU6p1WpxoCOq_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just watched the youtube video resplendent with horny morning bird song soundtrack - what's to stop the edge of the cling film sticking to the roll in the dispenser?

« Reply #19 on: 30 August, 2016, 03:51:35 pm »
you have to buy the branded re-fills.

No, you don't. I think we may actually have a Poundland roll in ours at the moment, but we've used supermarket ones before.

Easily fixed with a strip of gaffer tape.

what's to stop the edge of the cling film sticking to the roll in the dispenser?

It sticks - well, clings lightly - to the box: there's a strip of plastic just behind the cutting edge that catches it. Well, most of the time anyway.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #20 on: 30 August, 2016, 06:48:59 pm »

It sticks - well, clings lightly - to the box: there's a strip of plastic just behind the cutting edge that catches it. Well, most of the time anyway.

That has always worked for me. (you can see the strip in the video)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:10:44 pm »
Clingfilm works on a similar principle to photocopiers.  That is to say, if you think about the physics too much, you convince yourself it can't possibly work.  And then it mostly doesn't.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:25:43 pm »
I haven't understood any of this thread but I have enjoyed it. Nikki receives a "Highly Commended" for her video showing agricultural bale wrapping.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23 on: 01 September, 2016, 08:09:52 am »
Does it show how they wrap a bale this long?

Move Faster and Bake Things

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »
That's quite the spliff!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!