Author Topic: Why is cling film such a GRRRRR?  (Read 9352 times)

Re: Why is cling film such a GRRRRR?
« Reply #25 on: 01 September, 2016, 02:35:27 pm »
I don't understand much of this thread either. But can I just point out that the ends of the boxes that clingfilm come in have tabs that you can punch in to hold the roll in place (for some of its lifespan) while you pull the film over the "serrater" (for want of a proper word).

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #26 on: 01 September, 2016, 02:51:48 pm »
Don't use the serated edge.  Instead push your thumb through the middle and make as much of a mess treating through the rest of the length. The resulting tattered edge will be easily found on the roll.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 01 September, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »
Agreed.  The serrater works well enough for foil, but for clingfilm it's better not to bother with the box and just make a mess of it.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #28 on: 01 September, 2016, 06:25:56 pm »
I don't understand much of this thread either.

Now I'm feeling even more inadequate than ever before in my whole lifetime for being the OP :-[

Back to damp tea towels for covering the rising bread dough :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 02 September, 2016, 05:44:00 am »
Is that what a "rolling roadblock" looks like??

« Reply #30 on: 06 September, 2016, 06:55:29 pm »
silly people.

The serrater is there to protect the contents of the box by slicing fingers of those who seek to remove any film.  It's not intended to cut the film.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 06 September, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »
I've just opened a new box of clingfilm, to discover that it's about 2" less wide than the previous roll.  I suspect that's almost exactly the same as the diameter of our plates.  Bastards.

« Reply #32 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:35:27 pm »
It's an iron law that however much cling film you extract it will be too small.  Making it 2" narrower ensures compliance.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #33 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:49:04 pm »
I can't add much to this thread except to advise everyone to never buy Asda cling film. It's just plain shite. I used a coupe of m of a new roll once before throwing it to the floor and stamping on it repeatedly. Waitrose and Tesco CF OTOH is fine.
Pen Pusher

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #34 on: 12 September, 2016, 04:23:11 pm »
I like to wrap my suitcase in cling film when I travel. At least a roll of it. it is very satisfying but now that I have read about Roy Orbison I think perhaps I missed the point.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #35 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:53:16 pm »
When wrapping someone up in clingfilm, I assume one leaves a hole for breathing through? Please advise. Plus, is it a good idea to use olive oil - i think it would be helpful but maybe someone with more experience can advise?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #36 on: 13 September, 2016, 12:47:16 am »
1. Yes.
2. Only if you intend to cook them.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #37 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:25:22 pm »
A reasonably satisfactory outcome :thumbsup:

After much practice (always helps doesn't it?) and hours watching You Tube videos (with the sound turned off, obviously), I'm now more than able to wrap two slices at a time of home made 50/50 white/wholemeal (inc 150g of sunflower seeds) bread, prior to freezing and thence withdrawing daily prior to whacking in a Wilko brushed stainless steel, dangerously hot surfaced internally crackling electric toaster, so as to satisfy the ritual morning's breakfast (slathered with Normandy beurre doux and Marmite most often)

Lidl Aromata - 4/5 according to an ex broadsheet -

http://www.independent.ie/life/smart-consumer/put-to-the-test-cling-film-26652035.html

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #38 on: 07 February, 2017, 10:21:48 pm »
What does grilled cling film taste like?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 07 February, 2017, 11:05:25 pm »
Grilled frozen clingfilm.
It is simpler than it looks.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #40 on: 08 February, 2017, 09:54:05 am »
Plus, is it a good idea to use olive oil - i think it would be helpful but maybe someone with more experience can advise?
You might want to add some lemon juice and mustard, for a more effective marinade.
Not especially helpful or mature

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #41 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:00:07 am »
A friend of mine is a professional chef and, when I saw her tidying up after a supper club, made short work of the cling film. No boxes, no serraters, no faff - just unroll it and then tear it down her forearm. It didn't wrinkle or spontaneously curl up into a ball at all.

Witchcraft, I reckon.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #42 on: 08 February, 2017, 11:17:25 am »
I reckon it clings to itself due to static, so when wrapping up food I breathe all over the film first to discharge it, and don't say anything.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #43 on: 08 February, 2017, 11:45:30 am »
Your life will be improved by using one of these

Cling Film Dispenser
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #44 on: 08 February, 2017, 11:59:33 am »
A friend of mine is a professional chef and, when I saw her tidying up after a supper club, made short work of the cling film. No boxes, no serraters, no faff - just unroll it and then tear it down her forearm. It didn't wrinkle or spontaneously curl up into a ball at all.

Witchcraft, I reckon.

It's just years of practice from working in catering. I can do the same and I'm no chef.

That being said, the big 300m boxes of clingfilm (Lakeland do them) with no lid and a big serrated plastic cutter on the side works nicely if you can't do it with your hands.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 08 February, 2017, 12:54:11 pm »

Witchcraft, I reckon.

This is barakta's preferred technique, as she doesn't have the dexterity required for a serrator.  Which means the box goes in the bin and I've had to adopt the same technique.  I don't like it, as sometimes it tears in the wrong direction and scuppers your plan to keep it from folding up, but I'm probably at least as competent as I was with the normal method.

We compromise by keeping the box and serrator for the foil.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #46 on: 08 February, 2017, 02:17:19 pm »
Before you wrap it round e.g. leftovers, breathe on it to discharge the static: that way it will behave itself.  Works best if you hqve the flu.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 08 February, 2017, 02:25:13 pm »
But it's the static that makes it cling.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #48 on: 08 February, 2017, 02:36:57 pm »
Zut!  Zeese foreigns are cunning débiles.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #49 on: 03 June, 2017, 08:57:19 pm »
Update on this most important topic - even thought it's painfully close to that other very worrying thing - June 8th

It's all about technique - I've come to find a sort of peace?

Have almost mastered the Lidl top serration but quite like the Aldi lower edge too = slightly less sticking to itself at the corners and yet more faff?

The important thing is 'adaption' and 'practise' with an open mind, not to mention 'finding one's own way'

So what's the forum's advice on the the best way to microwave rice?