Author Topic: Audax Style 24 Hours TT  (Read 2655 times)

Audax Style 24 Hours TT
« on: 26 August, 2016, 09:31:25 pm »
Hi,

First time in this board, please be gentle with me. :-)
Mods, if this better fits the Audax board, then please move.

Some background:
I'm not a racer, and I don't have the "competition bug" in me. I think.
I never raced my bike, and I like the idea of pass/fail of audax.

I'm mainly riding Audax, but friends asked me to organize a 24 hours TT, which sounded a little harder than organizing an ACP ride (up to 1000 km,) but easier than an LRM ride (1200 km and above.)
So I said "why not?"
I named it a "Timed Event" (and not "Time Trial",) but I'm all for riders to try and ride as far as they can.

The route chosen was an obvious choice, as it's as flat as can be, and since it's a circular route then the winds don't play too big of a role.

I had no support, and used stuff I've put in my car, and used a 24/7 convenience store for extra food and drinks.
I rode my do-it-all bike, made of round steel tubes, S&S couplers, and no aerobars. I did shave, but I rode with my sandals (audax or no audax?)
Since I had no support I wanted to minimize stops, so I carried 3 liters of water.
I used dynamo lights front and back, and I estimate it all weighed around 15 kg.

Before I started I said I'd be happy with a 400 km ride, and would be extremely happy with 500 km.
My off the bike time was about 2:15 hours which included 30 minutes sleep, and I managed to ride 505.1 km in 22:50 hours! :-)
I could go on, but decided I achieved my goal, and rode the 8 km back to the car.
I'd say the effort was somewhere around a brevet 400 or 600.

Some people OTP I'd like to thank: HK and LittleWheelsandBig for moral support and for sharing their knowledge, teethgrinder obviously, and rob.
I met rob on an LRM ride, and he's an inspiration for me in the audax world. While researching TT's, I realized he's riding them as well.

Some links for further reading:
Official web site and My ride report

Tal.

rob

Re: Audax Style 24 Hours TT
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2016, 03:08:15 pm »
Hi Tal

Looks pretty interesting.   It's amazing the distance that can be covered when you minimise faff time, so well done.

What are the temperatures like in September ?

Cheers

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2016, 08:13:34 pm »
Looks pretty interesting.   It's amazing the distance that can be covered when you minimise faff time, so well done.

Thank you.
I knew I needed to cut down the stops, but all of the stops that included buying something and eating it sitting down took 20 minutes.
It would be hard to make them shorter.
It's the same as in brevets, and if you're riding with buddies, then each stop would take even longer.
It's another testament of the difference in riding (e.g. PBP) with support, or without.
I once heard someone say that PBP results should have an asterisk (or an "S") next to riders who used support.
I have no opinion on that, but I hope I won't use such support.

I could, however, change the tactics altogether, and eat on the bike, etc.
But I had enough time in the bag that it wasn't needed, and I took the "civilized" way. :-)

What are the temperatures like in September ?

The temperature range was 23-33 C.
It was cloudy, so it didn't feel as hot.
If it wasn't cloudy - It would have been too warm for me as well.
Weather can change a lot this time of the year. It won't be much higher, but can be lower, around 25 C.
I drank less than 1 litre of water per 27.6 km lap.
At night I rode 5 laps (138 km) drinking less than 3 litres.

I'm guessing next year I'll move it a week later, to 13-14 September.
The route is as flat as can be, and full support (drop bags, filling your water bottles and handing them, and buying stuff at the nearby convenience store) is included in the cost, so it should be fairly cheap, and easy, to do a good result.

Tal.

rob

« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »
Best of luck. Will be interested to hear how the event goes.

I can't say I handle heat too well (as I'm sure you remember) so something like this would take some acclimatisation.   Can't see it happening in 2017 as my plans are starting to come together now.

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2016, 01:09:26 pm »
I think I'm pretty full up with 2017 events already but if this is run again in 2018... well... I've never been to Israel so any excuse to hurt myself in a foreign country.. :)

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2016, 05:08:37 am »
Will be interested to hear how the event goes.

We've had 2 24 Hours riders, and a 6 Hours rider.
I've blogged about it, with links to pics in twitter.

Tal.

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2016, 05:10:54 am »
if this is run again in 2018

It is planned to run yearly.
Web page is here, and registration for 2017 will open on 1/Jan/2017.

Tal.