Author Topic: How do you tell between a polecat and a pine marten?  (Read 8863 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
How do you tell between a polecat and a pine marten?
« on: 29 August, 2016, 09:00:02 pm »
I took the Airnimal to Basel last week and got the chance to ride up the Hochblauen - the highest hill visible from the airport, albeit in the Black Forest in Germany.  On the descent a creature crossed the road in front of me, a large member of the weasel family, so through elimination it was either a polecat or a pine marten, but I've no idea which it actually was.  Can anyone help?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: How do you tell between a polecat and a pine marten?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2016, 11:11:06 pm »
Polecats are ferrets. Short-legged and about double the size of a rat.

I have fleetingly seen a pine marten. They are more like the size of a small cat.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2016, 11:16:49 pm »
You can't wash your hands in a polecat but a pine marten is weasily recognised.

Er... IGMC
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2016, 12:19:54 am »
Yes, pine martens are pretty big, they have long bushy tail. Also different in the way they move. Pine martens have longer legs, so more bounding up and down. Polecats would keep closer to the ground.

Pine marten are kind of reddish brown, and have a pale cream bib on the front.
Whereas polecats are usually more a dark brown, almost black. Though maybe not very obvious difference, depending on lighting.

Or could be American mink or Beech martens in Germany?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:02:51 am »
Yes, pine martens are pretty big, they have long bushy tail. Also different in the way they move. Pine martens have longer legs, so more bounding up and down. Polecats would keep closer to the ground.

A pine marten crossed the road ahead of me on a ride last year, with a wonderful springy, undulating gait like nothing I've ever seen before, except maybe in a Slinky. It completely left the ground at times.  I'd love to see that again. Impressively large.

Around 20 years ago a polecat killed all our neighbour's chickens then turned up dead in the chicken-run a couple of mornings later. They weren't protected back then - I'm not even sure they are now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:27:38 am »
Polecats are ferrets. Short-legged and about double the size of a rat.

Polecats aren't ferrets, any more than wolves are dogs. Ferrets have been domesticated for thousands of years; polecats haven't.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2016, 09:32:37 am »
Wiki gives the ferret as a subspecies of polecat.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2016, 04:39:32 pm »
Polecats ... about double the size of a rat.
[...]
pine marten ... more like the size of a small cat.

And given that I've always thought of rats as being about half the size of a small cat, how does this help us to distinguish between them?

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »
size-wise, beech marten > pine marten > polecat, but there's not enough in it to rely on.

polecats have a white face with a black band across the eyes and a blackish chest
pine martens have a dark face and yellowish chest patch
beech martens have a dark face and a white chest patch

« Reply #9 on: 04 September, 2016, 07:20:21 pm »
I took the Airnimal to Basel last week and got the chance to ride up the Hochblauen - the highest hill visible from the airport, albeit in the Black Forest in Germany.  On the descent a creature crossed the road in front of me, a large member of the weasel family, so through elimination it was either a polecat or a pine marten, but I've no idea which it actually was.  Can anyone help?
Marder -

Iltis -

Pointy nose, sticky-up ears, creamy/yellowish chest = marder (marten).
Stubby nose & ears, colouring as in photo = iltis (polecat). Like a non-white ferret, ferrets being a domesticated variety.
Note that polecats & ferrets breed together if they get a chance, as do polecats & European mink if they're brought together. All one species, really, while martens are definitely separate.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2016, 01:16:11 am »
Marder:

Iltis:

HTH HAND
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2016, 03:19:22 pm »
Size of tail and gait, plus territory - high wooded hills - leads me to the conclusion it was a pine marten.  Thanks all.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)