Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2016  (Read 7225 times)

Re: Tour of Britain 2016
« Reply #25 on: 07 September, 2016, 11:20:45 am »
Yes, it's all just entertainment, really.

« Reply #26 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:11:22 pm »
It's not very different from a second rate team spending the day in the TDF on a pointless escape that's bound to be doomed within 10km of the finish. As long as it's in front of the cameras and the sponsors get coverage, and Wiggo gets a LOT of coverage no matter what he does then it's OK.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #27 on: 08 September, 2016, 12:05:10 am »
"Wiggins, in his Instagram post used "#onetoomanyginandtonics" as a potential reason for his struggles."

What a dick.

You do realise he was playing to the crowd, don't you?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/tour-of-britain/bradley-wiggins-runs-tour-britain-climb-282398

My opinion remains the same.  And if he wants to piss around why bother riding? This is after all meant to be a fairly prestigious event for British cycling. Perhaps he could have offered a place to one of his other riders? Or maybe team, Wiggins only get an invite because of his presence. I wonder how long that will last?  Or indeed Team Wiggins.

Team Wiggins was put together mainly for the Olympic team pursuit riders, which came back with the gold medal. This will be his last road race before he bows out at the Gent Six Day (for understandable reasons). Of course Team Wiggins is at its end, they've achieved what they set out to do and more (launched Owain Doull into a career with Team Sky for instance). I for one enjoy his end of term tomfoolery.

Anyway, I'll be at the intermediate sprint at Usk tomorrow.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 08 September, 2016, 12:16:54 am »
Yes, it's all just entertainment, really.
l remember seeing  Nureyev at Covent Garden not long before he stopped performing and subsequently died. He was shit. A lumpen elephant soaking the atmosphere. The audience loved him, every second. I saw him.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #29 on: 08 September, 2016, 11:27:26 am »

After the Broom Wagon (with NO broom!!!! That just isn't good enough)

I was disappointed by that, too, in stage 1. Forget the cycling, I wanted to see the broom! :'(

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 08 September, 2016, 12:01:35 pm »

Team Wiggins was put together mainly for the Olympic team pursuit riders, which came back with the gold medal. This will be his last road race before he bows out at the Gent Six Day (for understandable reasons). Of course Team Wiggins is at its end, they've achieved what they set out to do and more (launched Owain Doull into a career with Team Sky for instance). I for one enjoy his end of term tomfoolery.

Is it actually folding? I am not sure (talking to someone who may be riding for them next season).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #31 on: 10 September, 2016, 05:03:40 pm »
Catching up on recorded programmes today - should be in London tomorrow.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 10 September, 2016, 07:47:24 pm »
I was at the Bristol stage today. It was noticeable how much quicker the later starters were in the morning TT, and then in the afternoon circuit race – well, it went from smooth to fragmented explosion on the final lap!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 11 September, 2016, 10:20:23 am »

Is it actually folding? I am not sure (talking to someone who may be riding for them next season).
It seems like he "sees his future as a team owner" and is aiming to launch a women's team
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/olympics/bradley-wiggins-plans-womens-team-wiggins-275121
Will be interesting to watch - but these things always depend on funding...
"Only the cyclist knows why the dog rides with its head out the window"

Ben T

« Reply #34 on: 12 September, 2016, 12:07:27 am »
few pics from london: https://goo.gl/photos/1XWvNr4hSPW32BJU7

most of them are of the breakaway group of 4 that was leading for most of the race of Taylor Phinney, Tom Stewart, Jasper Bovenhuis and (I think) Alex Edmondson? (the one who looks really young). They extended their lead from 30s to about 50s but Bovenhuis was later dropped and the other 3 were eventually enveloped into the pack.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #35 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:50:27 am »
Is that with your new camera, Ben? Very impressive that one  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Ben T

« Reply #36 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:34:43 am »
yes it was, cheers  :thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:01:01 pm »
Very nice. My panning didn't really work out, but here's a few from me http://blog.a-dan.me.uk/2016/09/tour-of-britain-2016/

Ben T

« Reply #38 on: 14 September, 2016, 09:53:14 am »
Very nice  :thumbsup:
Very nice. My panning didn't really work out,

Nah, it's quite hard isn't it... a lot of mine didn't, that was the best of many...
I'm no expert but I think they've got to be basically going across you, i.e. not towards you or away from you.

« Reply #39 on: 14 September, 2016, 06:32:45 pm »
I was mostly on the turn by Westminster, so panning not really required for the most part. When we moved up the street a bit the speed was high enough that my few attempts didn't work out.