Author Topic: Too late for a rebuild?  (Read 8996 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Too late for a rebuild?
« on: 10 September, 2016, 04:35:40 pm »
My very much loved Ridgeback Mr Silver is pretty tired these days but I like it so I'd prefer to, over a period, rebuild it.  I had it thoroughly serviced by the LBS last year and he declared the frame pivot in perfect condition, that to me it life defining component of the bike.  Trouble is being 1999 vintage parts are disappearing fast.

First I'd like to replace the complete drive train. The rear mech and cassette have been replaced umpteen times, BB once and chainrings & front mech never.  Earlier in the year I decided an M361 chainset should replace the M330 original but these are now pretty hard to find and impossible in all silver (It is a Mr Silver after all)
  • Would M361 rings (22/32/42) from these folk fit my cranks?
  • What should I inspect on my cranks before declaring them fit to reuse?
  • How do I check the offset?
  • Is this top or bottom swing?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Too late for a rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2016, 11:40:53 pm »
Not in order:
- Top swing derailleur on there, can't fit a normal mech.
- If the cranks have no cracks (usually at pedal eye or axle boss), aren't subject to a recall and don't loosen off in use, they are fine for reuse.
- Cranks can be de-anodised and polished but not all Al alloys are suitable for polishing and clearcoating the polished cranks is probably a good idea.
- I don't think that M361 rings will fit that crankset, due to a different BCD/ PCD. Very limited chainring options for that crank.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Too late for a rebuild?
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2016, 09:14:57 am »
Thanks LWAB.  The cranks probably are reusable but I'll take your advice and forget using them with recent rings.  It should have occurred to me as soon as I saw M330 on the crank yesterday to search for that.  Penny dropped this morning and I have a new crank set on the way via ebay, 175mm instead of 170mm.  I may still investigate switching to a complete M361 with the thought it may run more cleanly with a new chain and cassette.

Unfortunately none of the M330 front mechs on ebay are the post size I need but the front mech is by far the least worn part of the drive.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.