Author Topic: West Midlands Police Initiative - Hooray!  (Read 11098 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: West Midlands Police Initiative - Hooray!
« Reply #50 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:16:47 pm »
How do they receive these offences? If that's how they measure success do they mean detected or reported?

Reported.

spindrift

« Reply #51 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:18:35 pm »
Then that's a very small base, I would imagine. It's a great initiative, that's a very unreliable way of measuring its efficacy.

« Reply #52 on: 13 January, 2017, 11:14:11 am »
Given the success that I had reporting a rather close pass (contact, paint transfer) in Coventry, I wouldn't bother doing it again without camera evidence.

The rate of reporting of what close passes there are is likely to vary more than the rate of close passes, especially in Coventry.

Coventry seems to be very keen on anti-cyclist measures, like "cyclist dismount" signs up to 1/4 mile from roadworks, cycle lanes on which cycling is banned, and obstacles that mean you need two people to lift a bike or motorbike over.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #53 on: 12 July, 2017, 10:47:52 am »
Succesful prosecution for a close pass:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40571699

Dean Littleford, 60, from Birmingham, denied driving without due care and attention in Park Lane West, Tipton, in November.
But he was fined £1,038 and had five points added to his licence by Dudley Magistrates' Court.
Almost 200 offenders have been stopped by police as part of the GiveSpaceBeSafe scheme, which was launched in September, with 13 going on to be prosecuted.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #54 on: 12 July, 2017, 11:14:09 am »
Good old Nobby and Vimes!

That driver is clearly a huge dick. I wonder how many times he's got away with bad driving even when caught by forcing people to take him to court and the Plod have "just not bothered"...

« Reply #55 on: 12 July, 2017, 05:44:19 pm »
There was a report of this campaign on BBC Southwest last night. I didn't watch it properly but it would appear they are using the same technique in Plymouth.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 14 July, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »
A neat graphic from the Met showing, among other things, how it's often better for motorists if cyclists ride two abreast.
http://road.cc/content/news/225999-near-miss-day-16-police-show-how-overtake-cyclists-safely
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.