Author Topic: Dialing in the new bike  (Read 1776 times)

Dialing in the new bike
« on: 24 September, 2016, 06:52:08 pm »
New (to me) speedmachine, first couple rides and need to play about with setup.
Boom length needs extending (so more chain fitting).  Any advice on doing this (other than read the manual?).
Other than that, changing seat recline and bar length (hamster bars), is there any other setting up I should consider to get the fit/comfort right?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Dialing in the new bike
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2016, 08:37:52 pm »
New (to me) speedmachine, first couple rides and need to play about with setup.
Boom length needs extending (so more chain fitting).  Any advice on doing this (other than read the manual?).
Other than that, changing seat recline and bar length (hamster bars), is there any other setting up I should consider to get the fit/comfort right?

brake lever and shifter position along, and angle of rotation around the handlebars.
Rotation of the whole handlebars.  I've found the handholds facing slightly away from me to be most comfortble, if you can picture that?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2016, 08:38:13 pm »
HPV's seat bracket arrangement means that boom length is unaffected by seat angle (it pivots around your hip joint), so get the boom length right first.

Stick some tape on the boom as a reference point for rotation (and indeed length, if there isn't a greasy mark).  It can be insanely tricky to get that spot on on a bike, particularly if you're tweaking at the roadside.

Bar adjustment presumably comes once you've worked out what the seat angle should be.  If you're new to recumbents you'll probably find it easier to control if you start off with the seat fairly upright, and re-adjust once you've got the hang of the bike.

Not sure how much handlebar adjustment there is on that one, but on my hamster-barred Baron I spent a lot of time trying to find the optimum compromise between being able to see the road ahead (it's a bit more reclined than a Speedmachine) comfortable wrist angle and leg/boob clearance.  That included tweaking the position of the brake levers on the bars.

The golden rule for recumbent ergonomics is to adjust for the position on the seat that you gravitate to after you've been riding for a few miles, not the position you start off in when you get on the bike.

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2016, 10:54:37 pm »
Is it normal that I want to extend the pedal-seat distance more than the recommended heel on pedal length?  As to the recline, I already feel like the upright setting is too upright, but not sure I could learn on a greater recline.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2016, 11:01:34 pm »
Is it normal that I want to extend the pedal-seat distance more than the recommended heel on pedal length?

I don't think it's unusual.  I find I like to ankle more on a 'bent than I do on an upright, and I know I'm not the only one.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2016, 11:08:55 pm »
Is it normal that I want to extend the pedal-seat distance more than the recommended heel on pedal length?  As to the recline, I already feel like the upright setting is too upright, but not sure I could learn on a greater recline.

Much better to be confident and then gradually recline the seat than be bike-wrangling from the off
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2016, 07:24:44 pm »
Get the boom length right first - you need the bent knee at full extension.  Then get the chain length right.

You'll then spend the next 500 miles tweaking the seat/bars fit.  As others have said, start with the seat as upright as possible, then gradually recline as you get used to the view. 

With hamster bars, I find the grips to be angled slightly in front of the vertical - i.e. end of the bar slightly ahead of the brake lever.

Getting the neck rest right is the really hard bit.