Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL Route, GPX, Route Sheets.  (Read 23368 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: LEL Route, GPX, Route Sheets.
« Reply #100 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:05:48 pm »
I've re-dragged all of your provided routes so there are cue points for all turns if anyone wants them, it's a shame there isn't a function in RWGPS to auto regenerate the cue (only way I could perhaps do it is to reverse the route twice, but then there is the risk it will not follow the intended route.)

Here's the link to the routes derived from Nick's hard work:

https://ridewithgps.com/events/20664-lel2017#routes/23370555/preview

Nice one, Jibbers.  FWIW I did try the reverse-route thing, but that does NOT regenerate all the auto-cues in RWGPS.  Waggling the dots, or tracing the path to create a new one are the only ways to do this.

I've update mine with the same diversion to Barton for N and S in case anyone is using them.
Regards,

Joergen

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #101 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:19:59 pm »
Hmm. With the division via Barton it seems shorter to then go via Aldbrough St John and rejoin the route at Forcett.

https://goo.gl/maps/2A8PPT4CN5M2
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #102 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:28:51 pm »
Hmm. With the division via Barton it seems shorter to then go via Aldbrough St John and rejoin the route at Forcett.

https://goo.gl/maps/2A8PPT4CN5M2

That is a nice-looking alternative  :thumbsup:

However, this close to the event then it's not possible for the organiser to sanction such a big change.  Already there is a volunteer driving across from a control to put up LEL direction arrows through the simple diversion.  To make such a big change to the route as yours would require the new route to be ridden and risk-assessed before it could be offered to all riders — and that's simply not possible so close to the event, I think.  And we're talking about saving only 800m.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #103 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:37:35 pm »

However, this close to the event then it's not possible for the organiser to sanction such a big change.  Already there is a volunteer driving across from a control to put up LEL direction arrows through the simple diversion.  To make such a big change to the route as yours would require the new route to be ridden and risk-assessed before it could be offered to all riders — and that's simply not possible so close to the event, I think.  And we're talking about saving only 800m.

Indeed.

Doesn't stop me going off piste, tho!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #104 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:38:04 pm »

Indeed.

Doesn't stop me going off piste, tho!

I'm tempted to join you ;)

« Reply #105 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:30:45 pm »
I doubt Daniel wants to send 1500 riders down Doctor's Lane into Aldbrough! It's narrow and there's a tight gravelly turn.

He doesn't need to know, though :)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #106 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:16:25 pm »
I doubt Daniel wants to send 1500 riders down Doctor's Lane into Aldbrough! It's narrow and there's a tight gravelly turn.

He doesn't need to know, though :)
Plus the potholes in the flooded section of gravel at that turn. Yorkshire Gallop avoided it earlier in the year.
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #107 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »
What there's no gravel trap this year? Swiz!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #108 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:43:26 pm »

Plus the potholes in the flooded section of gravel at that turn. Yorkshire Gallop avoided it earlier in the year.

Ah, yes, bringing us nicely back to my point that it would have to be actually ridden in order to be risk-assessed for 1500 participants passing that way at all times of night and day  :P

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #109 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:44:12 pm »
What there's no gravel trap this year? Swiz!

N8-ALT, Simon — I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there ;D

« Reply #110 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:58:48 pm »

Ah, yes, bringing us nicely back to my point that it would have to be actually ridden in order to be risk-assessed for 1500 participants passing that way at all times of night and day  :P

I've ridden it! That was my risk assessment ;D

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #111 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:00:31 pm »
I've ridden it! That was my risk assessment ;D

;D

« Reply #112 on: 26 July, 2017, 09:44:10 am »
It wouldn't be the first time this year that I have used the A66 for audax purposes, albeit I was going in the opposite direction and late at night.
I think that would fail any risk assessment though.

« Reply #113 on: 26 July, 2017, 12:19:58 pm »
Thanks Wilkyboy for all your work on the route sheet and GPX files.

I remember reading (but can't remember where) that the GPX files can be stored on the memory card in an Etrex 30. How do I do this so that I can access them? Just tried but can't see the file when I switch on the unit.
LFCC

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #114 on: 26 July, 2017, 01:07:21 pm »
Barnard Castle to Middleton Tyas has different routes North(N7) and South (S2) - is this deliberate?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #115 on: 26 July, 2017, 01:10:39 pm »
Barnard Castle to Middleton Tyas has different routes North(N7) and South (S2) - is this deliberate?

Yes and this was also the case in 2013.  I don't know the reasoning as to why, but will be happy to follow the different options out and back.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #116 on: 26 July, 2017, 01:20:51 pm »

Middleton Tyas itself has a one-way system.  Otherwise both should follow exactly the same route.  What's the difference you're seeing?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #117 on: 26 July, 2017, 01:22:58 pm »
Thanks Wilkyboy for all your work on the route sheet and GPX files.

I remember reading (but can't remember where) that the GPX files can be stored on the memory card in an Etrex 30. How do I do this so that I can access them? Just tried but can't see the file when I switch on the unit.

You're welcome Steve. 

As to your Etrex question — I'm sorry, I don't know the answer, I have never used one.  Is the memory card new?  Has it been set up with the necessary Garmin directory/folder structure?  And are you putting the GPX files in the correct directory/folder?

« Reply #118 on: 26 July, 2017, 02:19:12 pm »
Will try setting up directory structure

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #119 on: 26 July, 2017, 03:29:40 pm »

Middleton Tyas itself has a one-way system.  Otherwise both should follow exactly the same route.  What's the difference you're seeing?

That should have read 'Barnard Castle to Middleton in Teesdale'. GPX tracks from LEL website.
N7 routes via B6278 on north side of the Tees, while S2 routes via B6277 on the south side! Very little difference in distance/ascent/descent, just curious...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #120 on: 26 July, 2017, 03:32:11 pm »

That should have read 'Barnard Castle to Middleton in Teesdale'. GPX tracks from LEL website.
N7 routes via B6278 on north side of the Tees, while S2 routes via B6277 on the south side! Very little difference in distance/ascent/descent, just curious...

Ah, yes.  That has been discussed elsewhere — both routes are nice, but you get great views on the northbound, while on the southbound you will be slower and more tired and the other road is then much nicer. 

You also get to see Barnard Castle itself high up on your left while waiting for the traffic lights to change  :thumbsup:

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #121 on: 26 July, 2017, 03:56:44 pm »
Thanks for that, didn't notice the difference in 2013  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #122 on: 26 July, 2017, 04:10:54 pm »
This was new for 2013, previously I think it was all on the main road up to Yad Moss.

One of the few places I saw rain that year.

There, jinxed.

« Reply #123 on: 26 July, 2017, 05:17:33 pm »
Will try setting up directory structure

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Don't know if you've got this to work, but on my 30x's SD card it works by creating a Garmin directory, a GPX directory inside that and then putting the GPX files in there.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #124 on: 26 July, 2017, 06:28:45 pm »

The GPS memory and the mSD card have parallel directory structures.  So you can put anything in either location and the GPS will find it.
On the E20/E30 GPX files have to be in   [Device or card]/Garmin/GPX/
(Warning: Edge users this is NOT the same! You have the /NewFiles/ directory.  Warning Etrex users ignore this line!!)

However from experience with more than one Etrex I would strongly recommend putting your GPX files on the device memory, not on the card.  This is because files on the card can occasionally 'go missing' ie not found and synched on boot-up, presumably due to a temporary bad contact on the card.  Stored in GPS memory, this isn't an issue. 
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll